Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #1

93 Fleetwood Southwind running heat

I have a 1993 fleetwood southwind didnt winterize it.i have it plugged into elextric&will be using a hot rod to keep thw power on but im wondering if you are able to run heat on electric only or does it have to be propane only
kristina27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2013, 01:43 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should post your question in the Fleetwood forum not the National RV forum. However, if you are asking about you furnace it only heats with propane. If you are not connected to shore power the furnace will run down the batteries.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #3

Ok im new to all this and just learning its my first rv.i know I need to keep it heated or winterize it.i have a hot rod im planning to use and am connected to power.do you know if its safe to run and leave running, the propane through the hot rod in order to have the furnace and heat on to prevent the pipes any chance of freezing as the rv is being used regularly but not lived in right now
Old 11-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome! I'm afraid I have no idea what you mean by "hot rod." As long as you are hooked to shore power and have propane, you should be able to run the furnace. Do you know whether or not your bays are heated by the furnace?
Old 11-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #5

I have no idea.why
Old 11-29-2013, 01:52 AM   #6

A hot rod is a converter that can power both propane and electric either together or separare whichever u want.but im wondering if I can only heat up my rv w propane is it safe to have or leave on when rv is unoccupied
Old 11-29-2013, 05:18 AM   #7

Never herd it put that way for me a hot rod is a aftermarket product installed in a gas water heater that runs on gas only to be able to run the water heater on electricity has nothing to do with gas
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristina27 View Post
A hot rod is a converter that can power both propane and electric either together or separare whichever u want.but im wondering if I can only heat up my rv w propane is it safe to have or leave on when rv is unoccupied
I have never heard of a "hot rod," so I can't comment on that. As far as running your furnace, the controls (thermostat), and blower need electricity to operate, so you will need both sources of power. (Unless you have a heat pump built into one or both or your a/c units...heat pumps are electric only and don't require propane.) It will be safe to run the furnace when the RV is unoccupied; many people set the thermostat to 40 degrees or so to maintain the temp above freezing.

I asked about whether you have heated bays because in some RVs, the heat from the furnace will help protect your water lines, etc. in the wet bay. This might be important since you have not winterized. Depending on how severe the freezing weather is in your area, you might need to take additional steps to avoid freeze damage. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #9

Yeah a hot rod does that but from what I understood from the people who installed it your able to use it to run the electric and save your propane.im still learning its my first rv.how would I be able to tell about the bay doors or if it leads to the wet bay
Old 11-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, it sounds like the "hot rod" is installed in your water heater...which will allow you to heat water with either electricity or gas. So it has nothing to do with heating the coach.

As for your bays being heated, you might contact Fleetwood Customer Service at (800) 322-8216 to see if they can provide info on your coach. Here is a link to the 1993 Southwind owner manual... http://fleetwoodrv.com/partsandservi..._SOUTHWIND.pdf
Old 11-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #11

Okay Thanks so much for all your help!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #12

Ok I was right a hot rod is put in the drain plug yes you can save on propane but it is only for water happy late thanksgiving
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #13

your furnace is propane only. You can use an electric space heater on the shore power.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
southwind, fleetwood