Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2014, 01:09 AM   #1

Unhappy '94 Southwind Can't unscrew bolts on passenger chair

remodeling my '94 southwind. the additional passenger (3rd) seat behind the passenger seat came out fine, i unscrewed the nuts. but the passenger seat screws don't look the same and just keep turning. looks like i'm looking at the head of a bolt, not a nut, so when i use the socket wrench the bolt just keeps turning. I don't know what is on the other end, a nut? or where to find the other end. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
ShelleyFunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 05:31 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
On my '94 Pace Arrow it is necessary to put a wrench on both ends of the seat base bolts. It is easiest with two people but it can be done with one and some vice grips or some form of locking wrench. You have to crawl around underneath the rig (near the front tires) to find the other end of those bolts.

Not sure what you are up to but you can remove the seat from the base much easier than the base from the floor. That requires removing four nuts that hold the seat to the base/pedestal - a one person job. I just replaced my carpet and I removed the seat but left the base mounted to the floor.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
On my '94 Pace Arrow it is necessary to put a wrench on both ends of the seat base bolts. It is easiest with two people but it can be done with one and some vice grips or some form of locking wrench. You have to crawl around underneath the rig (near the front tires) to find the other end of those bolts.

Not sure what you are up to but you can remove the seat from the base much easier than the base from the floor. That requires removing four nuts that hold the seat to the base/pedestal - a one person job. I just replaced my carpet and I removed the seat but left the base mounted to the floor.
Ahhh! Thank you. found bolts. extremely hard for me to maneuver myself then hold bolts in place so I went to Walmart. the automotive guy and I zipped them right off with that vroom vroom drill machine, a little elbow grease and some teamwork.

As for your second tip of just removing the chair, duh why didn't I think of that! that will be an absolutely perfect way to replace the base (as a part on its own) then put in the new carpet over it, then bring the chair back in, thanks sooo much for the tip!
Old 12-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #4

had to return to thank you again. i'd removed the second passenger chair in favor of the space and didn't need that much seating. when I go the remaining passenger seat out to reupholster I saw how lumpy and disfigured it had become and was bummed. I thought about switching them out, but the bases were different, so that wouldn't work. but then I remembered what you'd told me. so i'm reupholstering the first chair I took out, as it's in way better shape, and putting it back on the lumpy passenger chair's base. viola! Cant thank you enough for going the extra mile with your reply. ps: it is looking great!
Old 12-28-2014, 05:19 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Super good to hear and glad I could help!

I just finished installing new vinyl flooring (first write up here) and carpet (cockpit and bedroom) so we are working in similar areas. Are you doing the upholstery yourself or hiring out? I've been considering hiring the work out but then I wonder if buying new (used) captains chairs would be better.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #6

WOW!

Quote:
Super good to hear and glad I could help!

I just finished installing new vinyl flooring (first write up here) and carpet (cockpit and bedroom) so we are working in similar areas. Are you doing the upholstery yourself or hiring out? I've been considering hiring the work out but then I wonder if buying new (used) captains chairs would be better.

I LOVE IT!! The carpet looks chic and crisp and clean and I love the way you distinctly cut off the cockpit area from the living area with the divider! very inventive and quite well done.

I am doing all the upholstery myself, bought the fabric and just taking my time with a round needle and upholstery thread, a little gorilla glue in some spots for surety I'll upload the pic of the sofa as it sits my living room, without the panels attached, I plan to put those on once the coach is back in the coach. I have started on the chairs which I am doing in a vinyl taupe. Will send pics when done. the couch is black vinyl and it started out the floral factory fabric that you could see in any google search of 1994 southwind. I want to put the same black vinyl over the door to the motor (what is its official name? lol the same thing you covered with carpet in between the two chairs.)

I like the idea of either the vinyl or laminate (wood-look) flooring but torn between the need for insulation that I will add by putting in new carpet, a good padding and perhaps that silver foil wind covering stuff that keeps heat in and cold out. Your thoughts and input would be appreciated (i'm relatively new to rv'ing haven't moved in yet but want to be f/t by the summer - so I defer to your experience and keen know-how sense. )

again, thanks soooo much for assisting me!

your pal,
shelley
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sofa.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	82094  
Old 12-29-2014, 06:13 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks Shelley! I finally have the carpet install posted on my blog (here) if interested.

Your couch looks great - that must be a tremendous amount of work! I know my limits and upholstery is definitely beyond them! :-)

I struggled with the same flooring issues. I love a thick, padded carpet for the warmth and quiet/noise absorption but hate the way it magnetically attracts dirt and spills. I thought long and hard about cork laminate too. When I took a look at the latest vinyl sheet - which is kinda thick and padded (relatively) and very easy to install - I was sold. It is most certainly colder and louder (echo-ie) than carpet. To help, I purchased extra carpet and made several large "rugs" so a good bit of the vinyl can easily be covered when it is cold. I figure I sort of have the best of both worlds this way and can take the carpets out for a good shake or simply throw them away and replace when they get slimy. That said, it still isn't that warm, thick, padded carpet that we all love to burry our feet in. Of course, I could not compromise in the bedroom - it has padded carpet.

They make a "padding" that goes under laminate flooring. It kinda looks like 1/8" foam. I suppose one could try installing a layer of this under the vinyl sheet for extra cushion. Not sure how it would all hold up but would be an easy experiment and it may give enough insulation value to warm up the floor a bit. I think the silver stuff you are referring to is Reflectix. I don't think it would work too well on the floor as the center of it is kinda like packing bubbles and I suspect all the air would leak out when walked on.

Another factor to consider is weight since our rigs are kinda weight limited. This obviously eliminates tile as an option but I even wondered about laminate. I'm not sure how much it weighs but lifting a single box of it tells me that it probably adds up.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #8

Maybe it would be less trouble if you switched from a "viola" to a violin.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:32 AM   #9

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Maybe it would be less trouble if you switched from a "viola" to a violin.
Maybe, but it wouldn't be as flamboyant, VVVVoila!!! lol
Old 12-30-2014, 01:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Shelley! I finally have the carpet install posted on my blog (here) if interested.

Your couch looks great - that must be a tremendous amount of work! I know my limits and upholstery is definitely beyond them! :-)

I struggled with the same flooring issues. I love a thick, padded carpet for the warmth and quiet/noise absorption but hate the way it magnetically attracts dirt and spills. I thought long and hard about cork laminate too. When I took a look at the latest vinyl sheet - which is kinda thick and padded (relatively) and very easy to install - I was sold. It is most certainly colder and louder (echo-ie) than carpet. To help, I purchased extra carpet and made several large "rugs" so a good bit of the vinyl can easily be covered when it is cold. I figure I sort of have the best of both worlds this way and can take the carpets out for a good shake or simply throw them away and replace when they get slimy. That said, it still isn't that warm, thick, padded carpet that we all love to burry our feet in. Of course, I could not compromise in the bedroom - it has padded carpet.

They make a "padding" that goes under laminate flooring. It kinda looks like 1/8" foam. I suppose one could try installing a layer of this under the vinyl sheet for extra cushion. Not sure how it would all hold up but would be an easy experiment and it may give enough insulation value to warm up the floor a bit. I think the silver stuff you are referring to is Reflectix. I don't think it would work too well on the floor as the center of it is kinda like packing bubbles and I suspect all the air would leak out when walked on.

Another factor to consider is weight since our rigs are kinda weight limited. This obviously eliminates tile as an option but I even wondered about laminate. I'm not sure how much it weighs but lifting a single box of it tells me that it probably adds up.
J, I know nothing, NOTHING about upholstery, trust me, I just looked at the lines and sewed and glued as I went, I had not onset plan, just looked at the next step and tried to figure the best and easiest ways do tackle each. I picked out fabric and made some unconventional secure-ity measures to the couch. and as you know, working now on the two chairs.

anyhoo, back to flooring. I was considering carpet tiles, sold by sq' and laid like tiles. buuut I wonder if you can install over a nice thick padding or not as it is not one big piece but separates. I think I would like the neat, low to the floor clean lines of a no-shag rug. plus then I could even alter the designs from time to time by changing out colors. I agree with you in that no matter what I go with I will definitely be bringing in throw rugs. And, I just had the carpets cleaned and two days later they were filthy again.

Any advice you could give me on tackling the center motor box between the two chairs would be appreciated. As I told you I think I want to cover it with black vinyl.

soooo good chatting with you. oh, btw did I tell you that my first project was painting? yes, I sanded and primed all the walls and painted the living and eating area Banana Leaf Green from Home Depot. didn't paint the bath or bedrooms yet as I didn't know what colors to do, but im gonna finish them both with the green. and then I tiled my kitchen countertop with 1"x1" square black glass tiles that come on a 12"x12" mesh backing. the grout was a bear!

Do you have a link to you blog?
Thanks, Shelley

ps: I think you're convincing me to take a look at the sheet vinyl, hmmm, sounds good. i'll check to see if there is any way to add some padding or insulation to it. thanks again!
Old 12-30-2014, 03:44 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyFunny View Post
J, I know nothing, NOTHING about upholstery, trust me, I just looked at the lines and sewed and glued as I went, I had not onset plan, just looked at the next step and tried to figure the best and easiest ways do tackle each. I picked out fabric and made some unconventional secure-ity measures to the couch. and as you know, working now on the two chairs.
Awesome! I love the 'give it a try' attitude!

Quote:
I was considering carpet tiles, sold by sq' and laid like tiles. buuut I wonder if you can install over a nice thick padding or not as it is not one big piece but separates.
I've never seen these installed with padding. I suspect that might not work so well but it is an easy thing to try.

Quote:
Any advice you could give me on tackling the center motor box between the two chairs would be appreciated. As I told you I think I want to cover it with black vinyl.
I've always known the engine cover as the "doghouse", there is probably a more professional term though. See here (or the link below), I try to explain how I installed the carpet on mine. I'm not sure if that's how a pro would do it but it came out ok so I'm satisfied. Vinyl might be a bit harder as the seams will be more visible, I suspect.

Quote:
oh, btw did I tell you that my first project was painting? yes, I sanded and primed all the walls and painted the living and eating area Banana Leaf Green from Home Depot.
Very nice!

Quote:
Do you have a link to you blog?
I've included a couple links in this thread but here is the raw link to the carpet install.
Who needs friends like these?? - JdFinley.com
Old 12-31-2014, 12:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Awesome! I love the 'give it a try' attitude!

I've never seen these installed with padding. I suspect that might not work so well but it is an easy thing to try.

I've always known the engine cover as the "doghouse", there is probably a more professional term though. See here (or the link below), I try to explain how I installed the carpet on mine. I'm not sure if that's how a pro would do it but it came out ok so I'm satisfied. Vinyl might be a bit harder as the seams will be more visible, I suspect.

Very nice!

I've included a couple links in this thread but here is the raw link to the carpet install.
Who needs friends like these?? - JdFinley.com
I read this blog and the one depicting the carpet install. I give you a lot of credit for the "start over from scratch" approach. I'm more about the "if it's not broken don't fix it" mantra, I go over the material that is already there, which is what I'm thinking on doing with the doghouse. I do not have the tenacity or the wherewithal to attack it as you did. Bravo to you.

My fingers are recovering the chairs but my mind is shopping for floor covering. I'll let you know as soon as I can get the two together and make some choices.

Happy new year to you.

Tags
southwind, scr