Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
'94 Southwind - no LPG flowing?

Picked up a '94 Southwind last week. In going through everything once it got home, it appears that the LPG is not flowing. My wife tells me she tested the stove (I was out of town while she was shopping) but now, nothing.

The gauge on the tank says 1/4 full but how accurate is that? I've looked through all the books to make sure there is not some switch or something I need to flip (and yes, the pilot light valve is open). I have let the burners "on" but nothing seems to be moving and there is no smell.

So before I get the tank filled, thought I'd check with the experts to see if I am overlooking something?

Bill W
wildbill001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Start with the simplest explanation....the tank...then work up the line.....Does your hot water and fridge work? Sometimes the simplest explanation will solve the problem.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Try this

Go to the LP tank and find the line going into the coach look for a valve handle should be a round thingy someone may have turned this valve to off. Why? Who knows maybe an over abundance of caution ? I have seen the guy filling my tank turn it off before, but he turned it back on when he was through filling the tank, then again others don't mess with it.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #4

The "propane alarm" device needs to be on and functioning in order for propane to reach the stove, water heater, etc. I didn't see you mention this in your post. Look for the device on or near the floor, most likely by the refrigerator, and turn it on.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Propane alarm

Happened to me in my 95 Fleetwood Southwind... looked all over till someone like BichonLover told me about the propane alarm not being turned on. It was in the hallway near the floor across from the refrigerator. Alarm on... Propane on...
stevenstoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yup, tank valve open. Gotta check the gas alarm as I totally forgot about that.

Thanks !
Old 08-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Think I bot a bum detector

So while I'm contemplating why the @#$@!#$% generator won't start, I got back to the LPG issue.

Turn on the detector and it beeps constantly WITH the gas OFF. Blew it out with some "canned air" because I know that dust can be a problem. Still beeps.

Googled CCI 7719 and learned:
  1. CCI went belly-up. No more parts.
  2. Safe-T-Home (or someone like that) has a replacement but costs $200 and I have to replace the cut-off solenoid at the tank.
  3. Seems that the cut-off solenoid is no longer required by law but can't seem to get a definitive answer on that.
  4. A 2-wire detector w/o cut-off is about $60. Much more to my liking if that is the case.
SOoooooo, Can I or Can't I just remove the cut-off, tape up the wires, and drop in a detector only? Would much rather do that at this point than drop yet another $200 into what is turning into a used money-pit.

TIA

Bill W
Old 08-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill001 View Post
So while I'm contemplating why the @#$@!#$% generator won't start, I got back to the LPG issue.

Turn on the detector and it beeps constantly WITH the gas OFF. Blew it out with some "canned air" because I know that dust can be a problem. Still beeps.

Googled CCI 7719 and learned:
  1. CCI went belly-up. No more parts.
  2. Safe-T-Home (or someone like that) has a replacement but costs $200 and I have to replace the cut-off solenoid at the tank.
  3. Seems that the cut-off solenoid is no longer required by law but can't seem to get a definitive answer on that.
  4. A 2-wire detector w/o cut-off is about $60. Much more to my liking if that is the case.
SOoooooo, Can I or Can't I just remove the cut-off, tape up the wires, and drop in a detector only? Would much rather do that at this point than drop yet another $200 into what is turning into a used money-pit.
TIA
Bill W
The cut-off was never required "by law". Some manufacturers never did implement that feature at all. It is not "required" by anyone. Remove it if you like.
FYI - your battery disconnect switches must be ON (in the use position) for the detector to work and open the LP cutoff. Also it takes a few seconds (maybe a minute) for the beeping to stop and the cutoff to open when the detector is first turned on. Did you leave it on long enough for it to work as designed?

Your generator is wired to your house batteries so your disconnect must be ON for it to start as well. You also need more than one quarter tank of gas in the motorhome for the generator to start and run. This is a safety feature to prevent the generator from running your rig completely out of gas and leaving you stranded.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong
Also it takes a few seconds (maybe a minute) for the beeping to stop and the cutoff to open when the detector is first turned on. Did you leave it on long enough for it to work as designed?
To the OP, loulong is exactly right.

On my rig -- which shares features with yours -- the LPG detector (made by CCI) beeps slowly for about a minute before it allows the cut-off to open. Sometimes when I've not used the rig for a month or so, the LPG detector will beep slowly for a minute, then it will beep rapidly at which point I turn it off. When I immediately turn the detector back-on it will beep slowly two or three times then the cut-off opens and the detector stops beeping. The green light on the LPG detector will slowly flash, letting you know that the propane is now available for your use.

BTW .... In my rig i can actually hear when the cut-off opens -- there's a slight but audible thump at the same moment the LPG detector stops beeping.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well the detector is shot. It never stops beeping, no matter how long I let it go. So I'm in the process of pulling/by-passing the shutoff valve. Will be replacing the detector with a Safe-T-Alert or whatever else I can find that won't cost me my first-born.

Unfortunately it is raining in my area today so it will have to wait until that stops.

Bill W.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill001 View Post
Well the detector is shot. It never stops beeping, no matter how long I let it go. So I'm in the process of pulling/by-passing the shutoff valve. Will be replacing the detector with a Safe-T-Alert or whatever else I can find that won't cost me my first-born.

Unfortunately it is raining in my area today so it will have to wait until that stops.

Bill W.
Try the technique described by BichonLover. That's exactly how my detector acts at times.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just a reminder to folks that even though a connection looks good, always test it for leaks. 'Course I should follow my own advice as well......

FINALLY got around to re-installing the regulator without the CCI shutoff valve. Hooked up everything, turned on the gas and voila! I have gas flowing. Uh oh, flowing a little too good as I got a faint whiff of gas.

Turn off the tank, double-check all my fittings. Spray 'em down with soapy water and they are good. Hmmm. Spray the connection between the valve and the regulator and I get some small bubbles. Turn on the gas, spray again. Sure enough, it's leaking right where the fitting goes into the regulator.

Take it all a part, clean the pipe and threads, apply new layer of plumber's goop (or whatever that stuff is called in the yellow-tube at HD). Reassemble everything, let it sit for a few hours, turn on gas--no leaks anywhere this time.

Bill W
Old 09-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I went thru two days of getting this started at start of season until my wife said , ' don't you have to turn the leak alarm on' my reply HELL YES she earned her way this year
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
southwind