Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #1

95 Fleetwood Coranado INVERTER help needed

Can someone tell me where it is located?? The generator or the 110 plug in power does not charge up our 2-6volt batteries. Someone told me maybe it is a inverter problem. It was working fine when we put it away for the winter.
lovingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm not familliar with the Coronado but I suspect that you probably have a 'converter' not an 'inverter'. If it's like our PaceArrow, I believe it's under the refrigerator.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It could be the converter, but seems unlikely if it was powered off over the winter. Have you checked the batteries themselves? They may be low on water and unable to take a charge. Corrosion on the battery terminals can also do it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #4

Thank you for your reply's. We did find it under the fridge. Very hard to get to. There were 2 30 amp fuses blown, so we replaced them. Also the batteries ( 2-6 volts) were low on water. We put distilled water in them. Thought all was well, but the batteries still went dead even just having the fridge on. We would charge the batteries and they would be dead by the next morning. I thought the converter/inverter? would charge while driving??? but it doesn't seem to. When we put the generator on the volts did go up. We are going to replace the batteries, as they are 5 years old. What is the difference between a inverter and a converter? Would there be something else to check besides replacing the 2 30 amp fuses??? Thanks for all your help
Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

An inverter makes 120vac from battery (12v) while a converter is just the opposite, making 12vdc from 120vac. Where it gets confusing is that some inverters also have a converter function, so that it can actually do both things as needed.

Your converter doesn't charge while you drive because there is no 120vac power to operate it (unless you have the generator on). However, your engine alternator may be wired to charge the house batteries while driving. Typically in a Fleetwood product this is true, so you may have something wrong in that system.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #6

Thanks Gary, I am going to go buy new batteries, and see if that is the problem. We have 2-6 volt batteries. I saw that people are buying the Kirkland deep cycle 12 volt from Costco. Do you think 2 -6 volt or 2 -12 volt are better. What is your opinion?
Old 06-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If the 6V's are golf cart batteries, they are a probably a better choice. The Interstate U2200 is a good quality deep cycle with a proven record. However, I hear it said that the Kirklands are made by Johnson Controls and they make a pretty good deep cycle too.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #8

I went to Costco and picked up 2 12 volt Kirkland (845 amp) but they are to big for the engine battery tray. They did have golf cart batteries, so I will take your advice and get 2 -6 volt golf cart ones. In speaking with fleetwood today they told me that the Alternator first charges the motor battery and then trickles to the house batteries. And to check the selinoide for the battery in the control black box on the firewall. Then I spoke to a RV place and they said I had most likely a draw on something. I don't really think either knew to much. We are going away for the weekend and will make sure we run our generator more so to charge the house batteries that I have. The bad part is, if they go dead I can't start the generator. We are going to take a spare generator with us just in case. I'll let you know about the golf cart batteries.