RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2021, 03:05 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
99 american eagle windshield replacement ??

apologies if this has been covered before...

My left windshield came loose. WE knew this glass had been replaced before. Took both loose, removed the non factory urethane from the rubber seal, slid them until closer to where we thought they should be...while attempting to reinstall we discovered the top cap is the wrong shape. Broke the old one. Have a new one. Battle plan is to remove the overhead console, attempt to reinforce/push out the top cap to the proper shape (have taken a pattern of the glass w cardboard cutout) and then reinstall...

Appreciate any advice on removal of ovehead console. It had also previously fell loose and I rescrewed it up, so I understand where the screws are around the border from below but the back attachments(behind the wood trim) behind the seats is hidden??, and if there are any more hidden screws any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Plan to attach some kind of "rib" to the interior of the cap to restore the proper contour probably with urethane...anyone try this?

since none of the electronics up there are relevant to my entertainment system am considering revising overhead console to something different cabinet wise...is this "needed" for strength?

Thanks

Larry, South Dakota
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2021, 07:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyfarmer View Post
apologies if this has been covered before...

My left windshield came loose. WE knew this glass had been replaced before. Took both loose, removed the non factory urethane from the rubber seal, slid them until closer to where we thought they should be...while attempting to reinstall we discovered the top cap is the wrong shape. Broke the old one. Have a new one. Battle plan is to remove the overhead console, attempt to reinforce/push out the top cap to the proper shape (have taken a pattern of the glass w cardboard cutout) and then reinstall...

Appreciate any advice on removal of ovehead console. It had also previously fell loose and I rescrewed it up, so I understand where the screws are around the border from below but the back attachments(behind the wood trim) behind the seats is hidden??, and if there are any more hidden screws any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Plan to attach some kind of "rib" to the interior of the cap to restore the proper contour probably with urethane...anyone try this?

since none of the electronics up there are relevant to my entertainment system am considering revising overhead console to something different cabinet wise...is this "needed" for strength?

Thanks

Larry, South Dakota
the windshields are part of the structure ...if the 2 glasses are out then the opening need to be push up until u get the correct dimension to reinstall the glasses....
mrwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:53 AM   #3

I just had the windshields replace in my coach last week. And yes the roof cap did appear to be down in the center. The we put a screw jack in the center of the opening and jacked it up, maybe 1/4 to 3/8", slid the glass in and removed the jack, problem solved. No need to remove the overhead or anything else.
mike91eagle is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, wind, windshield