Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #15

You are shorting 1 big to one small terminal or across the two big terminals?

Across the 2 big terminals, will make the starter motor turn, not the engine.

One big to one little, makes the solenoid do it`s job. ( batt plus to solenoid plus ). If this is the case, then the starter and soleniod are ok. You will need to look for a possable slave solenoid, further up stream.

If you are getting engine cranking, jumping the two big terminals, your soleniod is stuck in. Need to pull starter and have it checked.

Another thought, sometimes when they crank themselfs dead, the cables on the starter cook and get loose, check them. Carefull, you have wrench melting current, down there.

Good luck
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 11:19 PM   #16

Discovery 37V Electrical problems

Twinboat
I shorted two big terminals on one of the electrical components by the starter, not the starter itself. Thought it eliminated the solenoid as well. Expecting some warmer weather in a couple of days and the snow has stopped so I'll pull the starter (hammer didn't work). I'll let you know. Thanks
dak605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:45 AM   #17

If this component is not mounted on the starter and has wires the size of a pen or less, that is a slave solenoid, and your starter may be ok.

Then you need to find what makes that engage.

Good luck
Old 02-27-2015, 07:27 AM   #18

Electrical Problems 37V

Morning Twinboat

Besides the two large terminals there are also two smaller terminals, maybe #14 or 12 gauge wire on the component (didn't clean those two connections yet). I planned on shorting connections at starter before I pull it. But I had a brain-fart. IF the solenoid was stuck shut, I think it would crank and run my batteries down like it did initially. ??? I think it is a loss of power but was unable to find a blown fuse. I was cleaning the connections on the numerous components under the bus since I don't know what ANY of them are or do. Afraid to leave ignition on so I can test for voltage because of the cold. Running out of ideas with my limited knowledge, getting ready to have it towed to repair shop.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:10 AM   #19

Yup, thats a slave solenoid. 1 of the small wires gets power, when key is turned to start, other should go to ground, possably thru a relay, for some kind of safety lockout.

Starter probably ok.

Can`t help beyond that

Good luck
Old 03-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #20

Even though my start batteries each had 14+v, I had them load tested and they failed. Charged up the new start batteries over night - still won't crank. I cleaned all of the connections on the solenoids, physically unable to clean starter and solenoid. However, when I jumped across what I believe is the slave solenoid the starter engaged and cranked. I cranked it long enough it SHOULD have started. Do I possibly have an electric fuel pump in my MH? Other things I can't get to work:
1. No Aux start
2. Stove top does not seem to get propane (propane gen runs) igniter sparks.
3. No wait to start light
Thought maybe the "crank" position of the ignition switch was bad but can't get at it and can't seem to loosen it to pull it out. I also noticed when I turn the ignition switch on, my tail lights are on. Is that normal? I also turned off the inverter by the batteries and it didn't seem to do anything. But when I turn the house batteries off at the interior panel, I do lose the cabin lights. But the inverter switch on the interior panel doesn't seem to affect anything when I turn it off either. Does the inverter do anything while shore power is connected? The wiring diagrams from Fleetwood aren't of much help. Ready to have it towed unless someone else has an idea. Thanks
Old 03-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #21

99 Discovery 37V Electrical problems

I want to thank everyone for their assistance, my rig is running. After I replaced the start batteries that failed the load test, I still had problems. They were created by ME. I labeled the wires before I removed them from the batteries. Because it was so cold I banded several together and put the marking tape around the bundle. Somehow, the tape pulled together so the + sign looked like a - and I put two wires on the wrong batt post. When I went to pull the start batts out I could see that both wires for the two cables ALL were on the neg side. I pulled the tape open and saw the + sign. Started up first crank when I corrected it. Thanks again even though we were tilting with a windmill.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update, they are important for future reference.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical