Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2022, 11:14 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A/C Not working on Generator

We have a 2015 Fleetwood Excursion 35E. We recently had a friend change the oil on the generator (we are disabled and he was kind to offer to help). This past week was the first time we used it after the oil change and found that our air conditioner is not working on generator power. It does work perfectly fine when we are connected to power. Also, it has been a while since we use the RV and I am almost sure that I am probably doing something wrong (although I do not know what) . I could really use this communities guidance to figure out what is happening or what I am doing wrong. Thank you all in advance for your kind support.
MiamiDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2022, 11:19 AM   #2

Start by turning the on-generator breakers OFF and back ON. He may have inadvertently tripped them.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:30 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Start by turning the on-generator breakers OFF and back ON. He may have inadvertently tripped them.
Thank you wolfe for the help. I did it but the AC did not turn on. ☹️

I will attach a few pictures of the gen panel. Perhaps it may help. Sadly, I do not know how to read it.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiDreamer View Post
Thank you wolfe for the help. I did it but the AC did not turn on. ☹️

I will attach a few pictures of the gen panel. Perhaps it may help. Sadly, I do not know how to read it.

The generator should only have 2 breakers on it flip both off and on. Also check breaker on MH panel for AC.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:05 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
The generator should only have 2 breakers on it flip both off and on. Also check breaker on MH panel for AC.
Thank you Rooster. I did that before posting. Still nothing.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:27 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
We have a 2015 Fleetwood Excursion 35E. ...our air conditioner is not working on generator power. It does work perfectly fine when we are connected to power. Thank you all in advance for your kind support.
Here are some pics....
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2022, 06:34 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
We have a 2015 Fleetwood Excursion 35E. ...our air conditioner is not working on generator power. It does work perfectly fine when we are connected to power.
Here are some pics of the Power Control System panel. Maybe I am missing something here....
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2022, 10:07 AM   #8

it looks like you are 50 amp.

is it just one air conditioner that does not work on generator power? is it one a/c or both? does the microwave work on generator power?

what generator? is it showing any error codes via the flashing light?

does the generator motor run continuously, ie it does not shut down?

i know you said you reset the generator circuit breakers. did you flip them all the way off and then all the way back on?

i don't know your power display but i see some things that have me a bit confused. one screen says 50 amps yet it shows 30 amps on L! and L2. then there is one screen that says something about load shedding. is it possible that this energy system thinks you only have a 30 amp supply and it is shedding one air conditioner? it looks like you have 2 a/c's and and a load shedding system would probably shed one if it thought you only had a 30 amp supply. then ii se a display that says you only have 3 volts on one leg and 7 on the other. either this is a huge error or i don't know what it is trying to say. and the final screen has the word error on it. i do not know what this screen is trying to display.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 03:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

On the second set of PCS photos, I see loads shed (5), AC marked as off (no power provided), L1 & L2 voltages that are unbelievable (3v & 7v) and some sort of Wiring Status Error. Not good! If this is when plugged to shore power, the outlet is really messed up. If the generator is running, something really weird has happened to it. Don't use it until it can be diagnosed!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:06 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
it looks like you are 50 amp.

is it just one air conditioner that does not work on generator power? is it one a/c or both?...

Thanks bigchick! Appreciate the questions, made me go back and try different things (still not working but I have more clarity). Below, please see the answers.

Q: it looks like you are 50 amp.
A: Yes.

Q: is it just one air conditioner that does not work on generator power? is it one a/c or both?
A: Both. They both would work at the same time before this issue. They still both work at the same time on power.

Q: does the microwave work on generator power?
A: GREAT question. NO! I do not know why I did not think to try this! Following up on this, I realized the the GFI by the door is tripped and it is not resetting. The outlets that work off of power/Gen are not working when the generator is on.

Q: what generator?
A: Cummings 5000 QD

Q: is it showing any error codes via the flashing light?
A: No

Q: does the generator motor run continuously, ie it does not shut down?
A: Yes. It does not turn off.

Q: i know you said you reset the generator circuit breakers. did you flip them all the way off and then all the way back on?
A: Yes. I did this before I posted here. Turned both of the Gens circuit breakers off and back on. After reading Wolfe10's and Tha Rooster's reply I reset all 4 breakers again (the 2 breakers for the Gen and the 2 for the A/C) both while running the generator and not running the generator.

Q: i don't know your power display but i see some things that have me a bit confused. one screen says 50 amps yet it shows 30 amps on L! and L2.
A: I am probably wrong, but I was told a while back that the load is distributed on each lead on a 50amp. (again, I do not know very much)

Q: then there is one screen that says something about load shedding. is it possible that this energy system thinks you only have a 30 amp supply and it is shedding one air conditioner? it looks like you have 2 a/c's and and a load shedding system would probably shed one if it thought you only had a 30 amp supply.
A: Perhaps but then one A/C would be working and neither are cutting on.

Q: then ii se a display that says you only have 3 volts on one leg and 7 on the other. either this is a huge error or i don't know what it is trying to say. and the final screen has the word error on it. i do not know what this screen is trying to display.
A: I see it too, but I do not know either.

Thank you for the questions and guidance!
Old 10-20-2022, 09:10 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
On the second set of PCS photos, I see loads shed (5), AC marked as off (no power provided), L1 & L2 voltages that are unbelievable (3v & 7v) and some sort of Wiring Status Error. Not good! If this is when plugged to shore power, the outlet is really messed up. If the generator is running, something really weird has happened to it. Don't use it until it can be diagnosed!
Thanks Gary.

I live in Miami, unfortunately, we are very limited on repair facilities in this area to take it somewhere close. I would need to go into central Florida. Trying to trouble shoot to see if I can possibly do something and avoid both the drive and the cost.

Thanks again, Much appreciate your guidance!
Old 10-21-2022, 04:57 AM   #12

sorry that you are having the problem. it does appear that you are having a problem getting generator power. you've done all the things that could clear a problem without further diagnosis. the problem may or may not actually be in the generator. it could be in the wiring or the transfer switch.

the next step would be to take voltage measurements of the generator output to determine if is is making power or not. your unfamiliarity with the electrical system says you should probably have somebody else do this. do you know of somebody that could help with this? a mobile mechanic could do it, but they are probably going to charge $$$'s. there are also mobile people that do generator diagnosis and/ or repair. the typical rv mobile mechanic is probably not the best to use if it is a generator problem. but knowing whether the generator is actually making power or not would determine the type of repair facility that you would go to for a repair.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 05:26 AM   #13

Miamidreamer:

If you are in need of a service tech, call Sean at RV Masters 954-496-4787

He is the only mobile tech here in Miami I'd trust for honest service and troubleshooting.....just my opinion.
Toribk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 06:32 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
An Onan 5000 only puts out 46-amps. So the PCS showing 50-amps looks like it’s reading shore power amps. With the PCS showing all those loads shed, including the A/Cs certainly means they will not run. The PCS has turned off power to them.

I’d suspect an issue with the Automatic Transfer Switch. It should connect to the generator even if you are also connected to shore power. The ATS is generator preferred.

Have you tried turning off the A/Cs, disconnecting from shore power, turning off the generator, switching off house and chassis battery disconnects - basically “rebooting” the entire electrical system and then bring the rv back “online” electrically, turning the batteries back on, etc with just the generator - not shore power, and see what your PCS says. It should say Generator and show 46 amps. Then see what loads are shed. There should not be any shed loads at that point. If the loads are not shed the A/Cs should both run on generator power.

I have the same generator and PCS system. So, I am familiar with what those devices can and do operate and what their readout should look like.

Tags
generator