Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #1

A/C question

Can anybody out there with a 2001 or so vintage class A m/h give me any idea of if and when they have had to have their rooftop A/C recharged. I am still in the checking out stage with ours. We bought it a couple of months back and I'm going over everything and figuring it all out. The a/c's both seem to not be putting out the way they should. They blow cool not cold. I am going to stick an a/c thermometer in the outlets and get a reading but to me they don't either one blow as cold as the one we had in our 5er. Please let me know if you have had yours recharged and at what point in time. Thanks,

Ray
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have an older unit but it has the basement air. I am a heating and air conditioning service person and I will tell you RV roof A/C units should never lose their charge they are charged and soldered shut like a window air conditioner if they leak refrigerant there has to be a leak in the system somewhere and the cost to add acess fitings and repairing leaks is very expensive. Most of the time if they get low on refrigerant they will need to be replaced. You should see 15 20 degrees temperature drop through them so if it is very hot in coach air will not be that cold.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #3

Thanks so much for your reply. I tried both of the units today and the ambient air is about 75 outside. Not hot but the coach has been closed up so it might have been in the 80's inside. I have a neighbor who is also in the a/c business and he seems to think that if they need charging, he can do it. Time will tell.

Ray
Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #4

I have heard a lot of stories from RVers who have had their A/Cs recharged. Few of them were successful.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
there are taps that you can put on a system so you can check the refrigerant level but imake sure it is definetly low before putting one on because they introduce a place for the refrigerant to leak out and those units don't hold much. Check to see if they are dirty first before getting into the refrigeration circuit and make sure the compressors are running. there may not be a refrigerant problem it may be an electrical problem keeping the compressor from coming on. Getting into the refrigerant circuit should be the last thing to do. Very seldom a good idea.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #6

I will check everything before going ahead with an attempt to recharge. I had the genny running and flipped both a/c controls to high a/c and it sounded like they kicked in. I will make sure. Thanks for your help. I will keep you updated on what I find. I did check the intake filters and they are both new and clean. If it comes to having to go up on the roof, I will have to rely on someone else. I don't do heights especially at my age. A 2 foot step ladder is about my limit. I fell out of a tree one time and have been scared of heights ever since. Oh well......................

Ray
Old 08-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoolguy View Post
Can anybody out there with a 2001 or so vintage class A m/h give me any idea of if and when they have had to have their rooftop A/C recharged. I am still in the checking out stage with ours. We bought it a couple of months back and I'm going over everything and figuring it all out. The a/c's both seem to not be putting out the way they should. They blow cool not cold. I am going to stick an a/c thermometer in the outlets and get a reading but to me they don't either one blow as cold as the one we had in our 5er. Please let me know if you have had yours recharged and at what point in time. Thanks,

Ray
Tell us more.

Manufacturer of A/C?
Wall thermostat or manual control on A/C unit?
Ducted or unducted?
Actual measured difference between inlet and outlet in degrees (never mind ambient .... we need the delta)?
Does either unit short cycle (compressor starts/stops at about 2 minute intervals)?
Old 08-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A/C units have a coil outside that air blows through to get rid of the heat. There is no filter of any kind on this coil so they can get very dirty and cause poor cooling. To get to it someone has to get on roof and take the plastic shroud off and wash it out with a hose. RV A/C units are like window units and dirt is many times the problem.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #9

Manufacturer of A/C?
Wall thermostat or manual control on A/C unit?
Ducted or unducted?
Actual measured difference between inlet and outlet in degrees (never mind ambient .... we need the delta)?
Does either unit short cycle (compressor starts/stops at about 2 minute intervals)?[/QUOTE]
Not sure of manufacturer
dual wall thermo with one unit having a heat setting. I have to think it's got a heat strip in it.
Ducted in ceiling
Haven't had a chance to do a thermo check yet
Haven't heard a compressor cycling but I did hear the genny belch a couple of times
Old 08-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heating man View Post
A/C units have a coil outside that air blows through to get rid of the heat. There is no filter of any kind on this coil so they can get very dirty and cause poor cooling. To get to it someone has to get on roof and take the plastic shroud off and wash it out with a hose. RV A/C units are like window units and dirt is many times the problem.
I will have that done and update you on what I find. Thanks.

Ray
Old 08-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
First thing to do is to pull the cover outside and make sure the condenser coil is clean. Next, pull the interior covers and check the filters and the evaporator coil. Most people do not keep the filters clean enough and it causes the evaporator coil to plug up. Now with everything clean, set the fans to max and lower the thermostat to keep the unit running. Get a temp reading as close to the unit as possible for the air entering the unit and them the air leaving the unit. If the unit is running normal, you should have 18 to 20 degF lower leaving air temperature.

As noted above, taps can be added if it is done properly, but is it expensive. The saddle or clamp on taps are a know leak source in a year or two, so save you time and money.

If it gets beyond changing fan motors or capacitors and cleaning, it is more cost effective to get a new unit and a warranty.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #12

A 2001 AC regardless the brand is almost 14 years old. These AC's are sealed units and are not designed to add freon. I have a 2005 Airstream DP that had 2 Dometic AC's and they were running and blowing cool not cold air. I cleaned all of the coils taped any opening in the ducts and air boxes and they still did not blow "cold" air like I wanted. I replaced both with 2 new Dometic Brisk 2 AC's. They blow real cold air and are quite, problem solved.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote