Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #1

A few different battery issues...now that they're wired correctly!

Our motor home is parked in our driveway. We have the battery switches BOTH off. All the power is out, except the panel for the Magnum Inverter is still on. Also, we noticed the remote door lock still works. This doesn't seem normal where we have all the batteries off. It's drawing down the batteries just a little bit so we have to keep plugging it in to 15AMP from our house every few days.

Also, when we plug it in, the battery charge goes up to 15...is that normal?

Aaaand....the generator won't start with the batteries...it just clicks rapidly. It starts okay with engine running.

Thanks!
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
Our motor home is parked in our driveway. We have the battery switches BOTH off. All the power is out, except the panel for the Magnum Inverter is still on. Also, we noticed the remote door lock still works. This doesn't seem normal where we have all the batteries off. It's drawing down the batteries just a little bit so we have to keep plugging it in to 15AMP from our house every few days.

Also, when we plug it in, the battery charge goes up to 15...is that normal?

Aaaand....the generator won't start with the batteries...it just clicks rapidly. It starts okay with engine running.

Thanks!
Unless you remove the negative cables from each set of batteries, you will have a small amount of parasitic load even with the switches turned off.
I have mine plugged in 24/7 no matter if we are parked at home or in a CG. Fully charged batteries will last many years. But, you need to do a little regular maintenance.
Word of advice, check the battery voltage using a voltmeter after you are plugged in for at least 24 hrs. You should see a MAX of 13.6 VDC on the meter. If it reads higher, it will cause overcharging and reduced battery life. You will also need to check the water level in each battery cell to make sure it does not drop low enough to expose the plates. Below is a link on batteries that might be helpful.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/remem...es-200787.html
Old 04-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Unless you remove the negative cables from each set of batteries, you will have a small amount of parasitic load even with the switches turned off.
I have mine plugged in 24/7 no matter if we are parked at home or in a CG. Fully charged batteries will last many years. But, you need to do a little regular maintenance.
Word of advice, check the battery voltage using a voltmeter after you are plugged in for at least 24 hrs. You should see a MAX of 13.6 VDC on the meter. If it reads higher, it will cause overcharging and reduced battery life. You will also need to check the water level in each battery cell to make sure it does not drop low enough to expose the plates. Below is a link on batteries that might be helpful.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/remem...es-200787.html
I don't seem to remember any lights at all on the panel with the batteries switched off in the past. The battery meter on the panel reads up to 15 while its charging, but as soon as I turn the charger off from the panel, it goes down to 13.6. Does that seem right?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #4

Quote:
I don't seem to remember any lights at all on the panel with the batteries switched off in the past. The battery meter on the panel reads up to 15 while its charging, but as soon as I turn the charger off from the panel, it goes down to 13.6. Does that seem right?

Short answer, No. If you have the shore power disconnected for some time, when you plug in, you will likely see a higher charge rate for a short period of time. However, like I said above, after it has been plugged in for at least 24 hrs you should not see more than 13.6 VDC with it plugged in.
If you do, it is an indication that you converter is not functioning properly.
My coach had a Magnum Inverter/Converter from new. The previous owner took it out and replaced it with a Progressive Industries Converter I suspect because of battery charging problems.
This device maintains the batteries at exactly 13.6 at all times. We do not miss the Inverter as we are always plugged in. If we require power at times on the road, we just run the generator.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
00Hi 4tfamily,
Dennis has explained everything. However, I have a question. Would you consider leaving the coach connected to shore power, when in your driveway? The most difficult thing an electrical appliance does is start (boot up). Except when the batteries are changed or going down the road, my coach is connected to shore power 100% of the time. All the infrastructure components are left on all the time.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
00Hi Would you consider leaving the coach connected to shore power, when in your driveway?.
We had it plugged in but where the battery was reading 15 we were nervous that it was overcharging so unplugged it.

Checked the water. Levels were good but a cable was a little loose. We'll see what happens.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, I was wondering how you've have been doing. I'm wondering if they are wire correctly still with the issues your still experiencing. 15 is a bit high for charging and it's good you unplugged it. Ours in generally right at 13.4 and steady. Don't understand the generator not starting with the batteries. That totally doesn't make any sense to me at all. Sound to me like there is still something not right with your wiring beyond the battery issue. Hope you can get this all straightened out. Wish you the best.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #8

Well, the loose cable didn't seem to make a difference. :/
Old 04-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 4tfamily,
Consider starting from the beginning.
1. Isolate the batteries from the coach.
2. Make sure the batteries are fully charged.
3. Test each cell with a hydrometer.
4. Load test each battery.
If the batteries check out good, consider the charger may be guilty.
5. Put an external charger on the batteries.
6. If the external charger reading is different than the coach charger, you may have found the guilty component.
7. If the external charger reading is different when the batteries are isolated from the coach and when they are connected to the coach, the problem is in the coach. It could be bad grounding or high power draw. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Fleetwood. Consider moving this thread to the Fleetwood Owner's forum at http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you first plug in and if the batteries are low, less then 12.6 volts the charger goes in the bulk mode charging which is14.6 volts. So depending on how accurate the meter is you are looking at and seeing 15 volts, 14.6 volts may be what your seeing. The only way to know for sure is to put a meter on the batteries to see what the actual charge voltage is. However, you still may have other issues with the wiring since your generator will not start. Or the batteries are so low the generator can't start off the batteries.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Try posting in the Fleetwood owners forum. I think you've gotten some good advice here but maybe someone else with a Fleetwood has been through this. Might even ask for pics. of battery hook-ups.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Try posting in the Fleetwood owners forum. I think you've gotten some good advice here but maybe someone else with a Fleetwood has been through this. Might even ask for pics. of battery hook-ups.

I was thinking of posting over there. Funny you should ask about battery hook-ups pics. The batteries WERE in fact installed incorrectly. I posted a wonderful pic on this thread and got it figured out in no time. Love this forum!
Old 04-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I was thinking of posting over there. Funny you should ask about battery hook-ups pics. The batteries WERE in fact installed incorrectly. I posted a wonderful pic on this thread and got it figured out in no time. Love this forum!
Wow, what a neat picture. I also like the post about having a "Friday Night Drinking forum" that was in your last thread.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Wow, did you get any reimbursement from the installer? That is one of the major reasons I pay with my Visa. At least you have some recourse when this happens. Glad to hear things are working again.

Tags
battery