Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #15

Not really had to put allot of money into mine as fixes have been relatively cheap parts wise, do all my own work. Some fixes more frustrating than others of course, but theirs always a list of things that need fixing that i work on time to time. I really try to take apart and fix everything I can versus replacement, don't consider my time cheap, just consider parts expensive. Sometimes it hard to keep up with by yourself, hang in their and pace yourself, new ones have their share of issues too
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Sorry it has been so tough. MHs are such a steep learning curve. Even for those who have a mechanical background there are challenges. I also get the concern about the doubt that develops wondering what will happen when you finally do get on the road.

When I bought my rig I had many many problems within the first year. Sine then the problems have more typically been minor but each takes time to figure out when I'd rather be on an adventure. Here are my survival suggestions:

1) Ask for help. If you have a guy thing that keeps you from doing that. Get over it. Ask for help. One day someone will have a problem you've learned something about and you'll be able to help them. No one on these boards is obligated to reply. They do it because they want to help, share their experiences and talk RVisms cause no one without a MH has any idea what they are saying.

2) Seek out a group or groups of people who have the same brand MH as you and join their group. I've had problems with my rig that owners of the same rig immediately recognized the problem. They provided insight that no RV Tech, no matter what he was charging could have known. They knew from the love of their RV hobby and their willingness and interest in sharing. There are also geographic groups -- several here in Texas. I assume they talk shop when together and help each other figure problems out and share wisdom. Tap into your opportunities for community.

3) Consider connecting with the original owner and asking if he had any of the problems you are facing. Might give you a better idea of some of what you are facing.

4) What you are learning about your rig is an investment. The bummer is that it delays your dream.

I'm glad you posted. Hang in there.
WriteOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #17

I just had an issue with my compressor, it's there for air leveling only. The issue was that it would run trip on and run twice per day then it would trip on for 2 minutes off for a few seconds then back one etc. I heard a pop and hiss and checked it out. It was the pressure valve on the small tank, and the wires were hot. The issue was the pressure switch attached to the compressor. Cheap fix.

I know the source of your venting. We had a Fleetwood for 3 years and it was just regular maintenance for the most part. We traded it in for a 5 year old American Eagle and we had issues the second night with a leak. We had it inspected twice with any issue found fixed. The leak was very simple to fix but I hit the roof, It took a small dab of caulk and it doesn't leak at all.

I have found most issues are simple to fix it's just finding the source. Repair techs are like car repair guys, hit and miss. If you find a tech that is good put him or her in your will!

Good luck, work through the issues methodically and in the end you will learn the systems and know what was fixed.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:50 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I hear your problems They can be frustrating with constant repairs, but I have spent a small fortune on my sticks and bricks this past year. It seem like it's one or the other.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:33 AM   #19

Thank you for all the replies, they are appreciated. If I were 40 yrs younger I'd not be so concerned. The dream is/was to both retire and travel till we couldn't anymore and resettle somewhere. True the sticks and bricks require maintenance, but, its not moving and all the support places like the big box stores are right around the corner. Maintenance on it is a piece of cake compared to the DP. We had a big Travel Supreme 5er and it was a load for my diesel dually. Perhaps I should have just got a medium duty or bigger tow vehicle. But I was the only driver. Plus the MH setup was supposed to be simple, stop, level, attach electric and water and kick back. In theory it works fine.............if we can get it on the road. Fixing the MH at home vs out on the road is a big difference. I just have to figure out when is it safe to "leave the nest". This is why I insisted we get the MH long before we were ready to make the jump, figuring there may be some minor issues to fix prior to going full time. Little did I know.

Obviously this coach has been "worked on" by someone in the past who wasn't as meticulous as me from the looks of the fixes. If I can get a full set of schematics it would sure help. At least I'd know what to look for and where.

Sure wish this coach had the inline fuse RVRoamer mentioned, sure would make it easy. There has to be a fuse blown somewhere.

Going one step forward without 2 or 3 backwards, things would be better, progress would be a great mental healer.

Once it gets light out, back to thrashing again.

Updates or more venting to follow..................thanks to all again.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:42 AM   #20

A MH is that simple. I am solo so I need something like that.
Pull in push a couple buttons and I am ready to spend the night or a few days. A week or more and I need to actually hook up electric, water and sewer.
But the gremlins are always there. Right now my furnace works when it wants to, my entrance door has a nasty squeak, as does my dash...
Old 01-08-2018, 06:43 AM   #21

Fleetwood is pretty good about sharing prints, they'll email them to you. I've been building a print book system by system as I work issues.
On my 05 expedition Power wire to the grab handle goes from dash up through pass upper wall cabinet and down door frame. It prob shorted while apart and popped a fuse.
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #22

American Coach got back to me very quickly and provided a schematic as to where the fuse is.........................outside passenger side bay forward of house batteries in Module 1. My bad, I would have NEVER thought to look back there. Something new learned. Thanks AC.

BUT, as is normal with this coach, the schematic calls out 15 amp fuses in that entire module................every one is 10 amp. Did a follow up reply and asked which is correct 10 or 15. And my brand new grab handle bought from AC does not light up. Have power to it, but that tiny little bulb not lighting. Asked them if the light itself is replaceable.............I hope.

So the trend continues, 1 problem solved, 2 new ones now appear in the adjacent area/circuits.

More to come for sure...............................
Old 01-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #23

No don t. Sometimes the honeymoon phase can be frustrating. They can be hard to get through and yes there are more problematic than cars and homes. Mine is my home and we love ours with all the problems and rewards. If your the right type to love the lifestyle. It will be most rewarding. Just about everyone on this site will try to help,and almost all Iíve met in a CG will try o help. This is my 6th used MH over my life and all have some problems. I ve been stuck, towed, stranded and spent the night twice in two different junkyards far from home. Thought the wife was gonna kill someone, now she loves to tell the storyís We have survived 4 tropical storms, H Sandy, and forest fires and snow and freezing temps. Presently we are having fun in S. Al. In an awful rain wind. Lovin It
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry to hear about all the troubles youíre having with your new coach. If you canít get everything fixed to your satisfaction and decide to pack it and I certainly understand.

According to your signature youíre already living in Paradise.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer23 View Post
American Coach got back to me very quickly and provided a schematic as to where the fuse is.........................outside passenger side bay forward of house batteries in Module 1. My bad, I would have NEVER thought to look back there. Something new learned. Thanks AC.

BUT, as is normal with this coach, the schematic calls out 15 amp fuses in that entire module................every one is 10 amp. Did a follow up reply and asked which is correct 10 or 15. And my brand new grab handle bought from AC does not light up. Have power to it, but that tiny little bulb not lighting. Asked them if the light itself is replaceable.............I hope.

So the trend continues, 1 problem solved, 2 new ones now appear in the adjacent area/circuits.

More to come for sure...............................
I shorted out the passenger map light in the ceiling when I went to replace the halogen light with an LED. After days of frustration I finally found a blown fuse in a hidden fuse panel in the bedroom closet, some 40' from the light.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:54 AM   #26

The fuse for the grab light is the same circuit/fuse for the porch lights. I have power to the small connectors for the grab handle light but it doesn't light. Contacted AC parts and asked if that light is available by itself. I just purchased the new grab handle assembly in the latter part of 2017 and just got around to installing it. Perhaps I cut a 3 led section off a strip light and splice it in the top part of the handle. I will just love playing with those 22ga wires....ugh. The handle not lighting is just a nuisance.

Reworked my waste connection area to accept my macerator pump. Existing setup wasn't very good IMHO. Out the waste gate and an immediate 90 degree turn then another 89 degree turn and then clear of the coach. Installed a new additional hatch in bottom tray and attach my macerator director to the waste valves via 1 downward 90 degree adapter. Also installed a 15 amp AC to DC converter to power the macerator. All within the bay. Finally one thing that worked out just fine and looks good too.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:42 AM   #27

ECO Led Grabhandle replacement $6.24
ITC (86430) $12
Amazon
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #28

See Post #6...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote