Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #1

About to pack it in......

When is enough, enough? Changed out my cracked and non working lighted grab handle leftover from the previous owner. Now, not only does it not work neither due the porch lights or the interior step lights. I tested literally every fuse with a multimeter under the entry steps and can't find anything wrong. Porch light and step light pushbuttons illuminate on the pushbutton panel but no power to the lights. No fuse is indicating it is for those lights. Contacted AC. I'll see if they can help with a detailed schematic.

I certainly understand buying used has some serious drawbacks, but the coach checked out fine at the time of purchase, everything. Now, for everthing I repair, 2 or more associated things fail immediately. Case in point, new air bag installed by a reputable professional repair shop on left front, air leaking now worse than ever from unknown location plus compresor in generator campartment starting as soon as I turn on the battery power. Chassis is now very clean from all the soapy water used to search out the leak...nada. Chassis power was dead (at home thankfully), previous repairs prior to purchase wired the battery connections incorrectly, fixed that, lucky it didn't shut off on the road. Had to now replace the air dryer assembly, and on and on and on.................

I apologize for the venting, but I'm close to saying enough and staying with sticks and bricks. I am quite mechanically inclined but this is getting ridiculous. Afraid to drive it off the property for fear of what fails next. Oh, and the smart wheel that works intermittantly and the hydro hot..........

Previous owner must have patched it up enough to get it thru the pre buy inspection.

Only 97 miles since purchased and 65 were to bring it home.

Very expensive yard ornament.

Frustrated. Sorry, again my apology.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I hear you, the more bells and whistles, the more rattles and bangs!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hang in there. It will get better. However it will always be some little thing. Too many systems and too many cheap parts. I had a customer back in the mid 90's. He bought a new 28 ft allegro from us. It was what we called the bread truck. It was square and boxy. No slideouts and no frills. That motorhome was a mess. Something went wrong with it every time he used it. He was a really nice guy. Never came in mad and hollering. He was heart sick. It was always something new. He kept saying he had bought a lemon. I told him we would get it fixed. This went on for about ten months. A couple of years later, I saw him at the camping show. He was finally happy with the motorhome. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Hang in there. It will get better. However it will always be some little thing. Too many systems and too many cheap parts. I had a customer back in the mid 90's. He bought a new 28 ft allegro from us. It was what we called the bread truck. It was square and boxy. No slideouts and no frills. That motorhome was a mess. Something went wrong with it every time he used it. He was a really nice guy. Never came in mad and hollering. He was heart sick. It was always something new. He kept saying he had bought a lemon. I told him we would get it fixed. This went on for about ten months. A couple of years later, I saw him at the camping show. He was finally happy with the motorhome. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
There's a 50/50 chance that the light at the end of the tunnel is a TRAIN!

Just kiddin...YOU CAN BEAT THIS...STAY WITH IT!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #5

Beat it.....I suppose as long as the $$$ holds out. Fixed income limits sending it out for repairs. Bad enough I had to have a tech make a house call for things. $200 + just to show up. Today the 10k generator exhaust pipe is black soot..........probably running rich for some reason. Hydro hot expansion tank still never reaches high mark when shut down hot and goes to empty when cold. Boiler fluid was added several times to it after shut down hot. I cannot find any leak anywhere inside or outside. Convection microwave goes crazy if I turn on the inverter, not turning on the microwave just the inverter to run lights and makes all sorts of noises, so no interior lights from inverter power. TV is counter high at back of kitchen unit, no idea what so ever how to access the back of it. No access panel in pantry and it won't budge forward in any way. Factory solar panel wires to roof panels never came out on roof. Tried a cable tracer and it can't find either one of them. Coach has an engine preheat switch in closet..........where does it get power..........external 120 v ? From 50 amp power pole? Hydro hot has engine heat function. Do they operate in conflict? And on and on and on........... Front air pressure drop is very disturbing. Local S chassis service center said its normal not to worry about it................really?

4.2 mpg driving 97 miles..............6 would be nice

2 1/2 weeks to correct the ridiculous coach side toad/trailer wiring nightmare.

Patience is running real thin.................frustration real high.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer23 View Post
Beat it.....I suppose as long as the $$$ holds out. Fixed income limits sending it out for repairs. Bad enough I had to have a tech make a house call for things. $200 + just to show up. Today the 10k generator exhaust pipe is black soot..........probably running rich for some reason. Hydro hot expansion tank still never reaches high mark when shut down hot and goes to empty when cold. Boiler fluid was added several times to it after shut down hot. I cannot find any leak anywhere inside or outside. Convection microwave goes crazy if I turn on the inverter, not turning on the microwave just the inverter to run lights and makes all sorts of noises, so no interior lights from inverter power. TV is counter high at back of kitchen unit, no idea what so ever how to access the back of it. No access panel in pantry and it won't budge forward in any way. Factory solar panel wires to roof panels never came out on roof. Tried a cable tracer and it can't find either one of them. Coach has an engine preheat switch in closet..........where does it get power..........external 120 v ? From 50 amp power pole? Hydro hot has engine heat function. Do they operate in conflict? And on and on and on........... Front air pressure drop is very disturbing. Local S chassis service center said its normal not to worry about it................really?

4.2 mpg driving 97 miles..............6 would be nice

2 1/2 weeks to correct the ridiculous coach side toad/trailer wiring nightmare.

Patience is running real thin.................frustration real high.
Just a suggestion....Maybe give serious thought to a Fifth Wheel?

Old 01-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If it's anything like my '04, there is an inline fuse for the porch & entry light circuit on the multiplex control board that responds to the switches. The board in under the bed. The functions operated by the multiplex control panel have their fuses on the board, not under the step. If the function is operated by a relay that is switched from the multiplexor, there may be a fuse on the board and another one under the step for the power to the relay.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Just a suggestion....Maybe give serious thought to a Fifth Wheel?
A class A DP is a real big jump of a learning curve!
I have a number of very good friends that would never survive the MH experience if it wasn't for a LOT of help!
It's a HUGE step up from a towable rig.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Saying you'ere gettinx xx mpg over less than 100 miles is worthless.
My rig gets 7.6 mpg over 49,000 miles. It doesn't even start getting decent mileage till it's been driven 30 miles or so.
In two years I've spent some $35,000 for repairs and maintenance. Most of that was the engine rebuild 2,200 miles after purchase.
But then there was the previous rig that we had for 13 years. After we got through the initial stuff it was the most dependale rig we've ever owned.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #10

I guess you have found out you have a high maintenance luxury toy. I see no difference in sticks and bricks, you have roofs,painting,appliances,etc.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
A class A DP is a real big jump of a learning curve!
I have a number of very good friends that would never survive the MH experience if it wasn't for a LOT of help!
It's a HUGE step up from a towable rig.
Happy Glamping.
Me thinks you misunderstood my post...

Old 01-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New 15 Discovery here. No major problems but up to 156 fixes and another 106 improvements so things work right. Your just getting started at 10 to 30.
After 2.5 years the fixes are finally slowing down. But something every trip breaks. I don't know what people do that aren't wrench handy. I guess they ignore problems.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #13

One needs a lot of patience to own and maintain an RV.
It is always something, correct.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #14

I purchased my 2015 Class A in Feb of 2017 with only 5,600 miles on it. I haven’t had it even a full year yet and I have replaced all 3 air conditioners, all 3 Aqua Hot pumps, and a transfer switch. I have 3 cracks in the front windshield with a $1,000 deductible for a new window. The fan and light buttons on the microwave don’t work anymore and the rack in the dishwasher broke and a shelf in the refer broke.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote