Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #1

AC Compressor clutch not working

Hi again Ya'll. Well new problem, first I have a 2001 Fleetwood Expedition 36T, Cummins 5.9L.

When I press the AC button on the dash, the AC clutch does not energize. I have checked for voltage on the wire to the AC Compressor Clutch and nothing, with the switch on or off.

I suspect the low pressure switch may be preventing the system from energizing, but can't be sure cause I can't find the sucker

Also I can't find any fuse labeled for the AC. The dash vents blow and the dash fan runs but no cold air, I feel that is because the system needs recharged. But without the Compressor running I can't get it to take any R134.

So Questions are:
1. Where is the Low pressure sensor located.
2. Is there a fuse for the AC Compressor and if so where is it located.

I have been under the dash and examined the fuse boxes located there and no luck on finding the AC fuse.
Also checked in a side box where the other fuses are located and no luck there either.

Hope someone can chime in with an answer as I don't want to run the generator and the ac if I can prevent it.

Thanks
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The low pressure switch is usually located with the receiver/dryer. Trace the hoses from the compressor until you find this. You could use a jumper wire from a 12v + and directly connect it to the compressor clutch if you just want to add R134. I'd use a pressure gauge on the system to make sure its not completely empty and needs a new dryer and evacuate the system with a vacuum pump. -- Plus locate any leak in the system. it can be a real challenge since the hoses are 36 ft long!! Good luck!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:21 AM   #3

Thanks Bob, I called Ken at Fleetwood and they sent me the wiring diagrams of the AC unit via E-mail.

Yep, I found the dryer, on the firewall at the front of the coach, the system has pressure on the low side, so not entirely empty.

According to what I have determined from the drawings from Fleetwood the parts I need to check are in the plastic box which has the fan motor and some other components on the firewall also.

Love Fleetwood they are very helpful with drawings and schematics.

Will let everyone know what I find.

Yep, thought about the jumper wire, may give that a try if all else fails.

Thanks again
Happy Trails
Jim
Old 06-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #4

Update

Ok guys, here's the update. Found the info on Denso ac which is what is in my Expedition. Page 26 of the PDF file that I am providing a link to shows a 10 amp fuse just below the blower motor. If you look at the schematic you will see that this fuse controls the magnetic switch on the compressor that causes it to engage.

I was so happy when I finally got to that fuse and found it open (blown in laymen's terms). That fuse is not in a fuse block where you would normally find one, it is just in a plastic fuse holder taped to the wire harness.

On my Expedition, there is no way I could find to access the area behind and under the dash, it has that curved area that extends from the enterance way. So I removed the 12volt power/phone plug and that allowed me to shine my flashlight through the opening. Then working from the accelerator side, I could see the fuse. Popped the plastic holder open and low and behold the fuse (10 amp) was blown

Replaced it with a new fuse, 10 amp never never never be tempted to increase the size of the fuse. It is there to protect the circuit. Started the old girl and low and behold, when the AC button was pressed, the little green light on the AC control panel came on, and the compressor clutch engaged

Confirmed that by eye balling the clutch, and seeing the rpm on the tach bump down when the clutch engaged. I noted that the low pressure side of the ac system was very cold for about 2 minutes then became warm, suspected that the system was low on 134, so got a can and connected it to the LOW pressure side, checked the gauge compaired with the ambient air temp 66 degrees, (cool for June 1), and charged the system.

Greeted with nice COLD air from the dash vents As old Ed says on "Wheeler Dealers", my favorite show Directv 281 on Wednesday nights, "Job Done" HAPPY CAMPER

Here's the link to the PDF for Denso Air Conditioning, please read though it and understand it if you want to service your air conditioning system. They can be very dangerous, the pressures encountered can be very damageing and the can will get very cold when you charge the system.

http://www.densoheavyduty.com/pdf/HV...ual_for_RV.pdf

As I stated in the long post above, page 26 contained the answer to my problem.

Hope this helps someone else
Happy Trails
Jim
Old 06-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #5

Hey Chaffeekid, I have an 02 discovery with the same dash and denso ac. The "curvy" panel under the dash covering the ac unit is very easy to remove, just a few screws. One on the drivers side buried in the carpet on the lower part of panel, the wood trim next to the throttle pedal stays. two screws on the passenger side, one buried in the carpet (not the floor, the carpet lower section on the panel) and one screw under the curvy dash cover. You can unscrew the switch panel with the four rocker switches and stuff the switches thru the hole they came out of. I had to replace my heater core twice (never let a radiator shop make one, they are $86 from fleetwood).
Hope this helps and thanks for the tip on the fuse as during my heater core change, I did not see the fuse....
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:26 AM   #6

Hey Stink, Thanks for the info, I will sure put that to use next time I have to get behind that sucker, it was a pain. I thought there might be a way, but I envisioned tearing the carpet off and pulling a couple of dozen screws. Nice to know only 4 screws and the switches to remove.

I have been noodleing making a couple of drawers to go into that space, one that I can pull out with a holder for a couple of cup holders built in. Shouldn't be a really hard project, with nice cherry wood drawer fronts that match the rest of the coach.

I hate to reach around myself to try and get to my coffee when going down the road.

I love this forum, always someone that has the answer, or a better way to do things.

Happy trails
Jim
Old 04-01-2024, 10:03 AM   #7

Tried the link for the wiring. Cam up with File not found.
Van-v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor