Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2019, 12:57 PM   #1

Adding Solar

Looking for any info on installing solar on a Bounder 33c. Mine is a 2014. Any help, pictures would be appreciated
Thanks
Chip
chiptown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2019, 04:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
One suggestion I would make is to glue the mounting brackets onto the roof, as long as you have a fiberglass roof that is.

I made my brackets from aluminum and glued them on with 3M auto glass urethane.

No holes means no leaks.

I ran the wires down through the fridge vent past the fridge and to the battery charge controller.

Be sure to use good heavy wires to avoid any voltage drop.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:26 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good conversation about Solar install over in the...

Newmar owners thread.

Not all coaches now have the old style propane refrigerator that has the roof vent. So you will need to investigate a path down.
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:43 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I wouldn't trust adhesive and use rubber expansion nuts. Leakproof...https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group...6CSEAFWABSC2WS
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:44 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
The hardest part is finding a path from the roof to the batteries. I went down through the roof with the wires right beside my black water vent tube in the roof. The outside of the vent tube. My Alpine coach had the wires going through the refrigerator vent. Installation is fairly easy after the wires are installed.
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:41 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Adding Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
I wouldn't trust adhesive and use rubber expansion nuts. ........,

If you are wary of urethane not holding, be sure to use good sealant around the holes you drill into the roof.

I have had to replace windshields installed with urethane, and I have total faith in this stuff to hold my solar panels in place.

The key is to be very sure that both surfaces are cleaned properly with something like brake cleaner or alcohol.

Modern cars use the windshield as an integral part of the structural strength of the cab structure. And it's held in place with the same urethane adhesive.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chiptown,

Check out this thread- it may answer some of your questions:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/massi...ar-473700.html
Old 01-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #8

Post Just installed 3 100 watt panels on our Bounder

Over the holidays, I installed 3ea 100 Watt Grape Solar Panels on my 2010 Bounder. I used 8 ft 1.25 inch aluminum angle and secured them with Dicor and a few screws into the roof ribs. Then screwed the panel brackets to the angle.

I made a couple of videos about my panel selection and installation with parts list and links in the descriptions.

Jim

Selection video - https://youtu.be/J_Np5cNHmeg

Installation video - https://youtu.be/i8DMK4k2OP4
LakeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #9

May want to look at my solar project from a few years ago
Bounder - Solar and Lithium
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #10

Just found your solar post very nice. I have a 2014 Bounder 33c. The difference is the 2014 battery placement. 2014 has the Batteries in the step. The cabinet under the electrical cabinet is the propane tank. Have to take another cabinet to add additional battery storage. In the Wynn video they show Lithium batteries in the step. Unable to find where they purchased them from and it looks like a custom frame was made also.
Thanks for your post
Chip
Old 04-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptown View Post
Just found your solar post very nice. I have a 2014 Bounder 33c. The difference is the 2014 battery placement. 2014 has the Batteries in the step. The cabinet under the electrical cabinet is the propane tank. Have to take another cabinet to add additional battery storage. In the Wynn video they show Lithium batteries in the step. Unable to find where they purchased them from and it looks like a custom frame was made also.
Thanks for your post
Chip
I would not put them under the step. That is out in the weather. Well, I guess it depends what type of lithium you get. Mine needed to be out of the weather as the sense boards on top needed to stay dry.
Where is your inverter? Usually it is on a shelf and underneath is room to place the batts on all the Bounders I have seen (I have seen a lot as I used to live 5 miles from Lazydays in Tampa.)
Old 04-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #12

It is the same cabinet as all the DC electrical. The batteries are in the inside steps.Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20200422_154546_778673490203114328.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	282652