Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 01:14 PM   #1

Adding Solar to 02 Fleetwood Southwind - Run cable from roof to battery

I am about to install solar panels on the roof of my Southwind. I will need to run the wires for the panels to the battery compartment.
I figured how to get them from the roof, through the refrigerator vent to the refrigerator vent area on the outside. From the refrigerator vent area to the battery now is my next step.
Has anyone already run these before and how did you get from the refrigerator compartment to the battery?
One thought I had was to drill a hole from the refrigerator compartment run the cables down to the chassis and then bring them back up into the battery compartment, however I'm open to any other suggestions.
rpennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 02:58 PM   #2

On my 2008 Fleetwood Fiesta I ran them from the refrigerator vent wall (yes drill a hole through the wall) this took me inside the bottom cabinet and down in basement storage to my controller in the front basement storage which is close to my battery under the entrance steps. All depends of the layout of your rig.
papp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:13 AM   #3

Can u give us more info about your MH. Size, floor plan, gas/diesel
Thanks
Old 06-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #4

It is a 2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, gas on a W-22 chassis. As far as I know, there was only one floorplan available.
rpennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:56 PM   #5

Where are your coach battery ?
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:01 PM   #6

And does your controller have a remote set up? They make a roof adapter. You could run it down front cap on Dr side if it's like mine 2000. Each side of cap is hollow from roof to frame.. you might want to pull tv and look behind.. use cell phone with camera and flash and long arms to see what I mean..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:49 AM   #7

Although my '16 doesn't have the refer vent I am sure you can benefit from seeing how I ran the wires from the roof to the batt compartment. Lots of details here:
Bounder Solar and Lithium Upgrade
Old 06-28-2021, 07:35 PM   #8

rpennington, remove the stove, (look closely for 2 hard to see screws at the very bottom of the stove) drill forward at the bottom of the refrigerator compartment onto the stove compartment. then you can easily get your solar wires under the furnace and into a storage compartment and on to the charge controller. My 95 Bounder is layed almost the same as your SW and that's the way I run my wiring.

Richard
Old 07-06-2021, 01:22 PM   #9

I realize this is old, but....

I did this in an '03 Bounder. Panels on roof, batteries in the original location under the steps. Actually, my controller is in the luggage compartment next to the steps, so the cable goes into the cargo bay and then into the battery well.

The basic route was to drill from the fridge closet into the area under the kitchen, and then down into the cargo compartment. Except I worked in the other direction.

The kitchen cabinets have a false floor under them, so I drilled up from the cargo bay, then fished the wire up that way. It was much easier from the bottom up, I used a fish tape to push it past the false floor until I could reach in and grab it. Then it was easy to fish it up through the fridge area.

Remove all the drawers and vent grills from the kitchen, makes access much easier.

My Bounder is a 32W, so a longer coach might have a different kitchen layout. But the Bounder and Southwind should be nearly identical.

Hope this helps.

Tags
battery, cable, fleetwood, roof, solar, southwind, wind