Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Advice on buying converter.

Mornin',
Need to buy a new converter for my 1995 Fleetwood Southwind. Looking for advice on any particular brand and a advice on a good place to buy one.
Gated guarding in S.E Texas so I will probably need to order online.

Thanks and have a blessed day,
Steve
stevenstoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #2

Go to "bestconverter.com". Call the 888 number and talk to Randy. He will match yuo with the correct one for your unit and ship quickly
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some time ago I did a lot of research and became convinced that the Progressive Dynamics IntellaPower 9200 line is as good as it gets. Now there are a few others that are as good, or very nearly as good, but I do not believe you will find one better.

However I do have a suggestion for your consideration.

If your converter is bad, And you do NOT have an inverter, now might be a good time to consider an upgrade.... Most of the inverter/chargers are in the "As good as or nearly as good as" class and if you have enough battery a true sine wave inverter can be a real nice add on.. I know mine is.

Next: How much converter (With many inverters you can adjust this, mine is currently set to 60 amps when I use it instead of the PDI).

Battery 20 hour AMP HOUR rating times 0.3

So a group 24 (75 amp hour) about 20-25 amps
Group 29 (100 AH) 30 amps

Pair of GC-2, abouut 220-230 amp hours 70 amp

Mine is an 80, the inverter (in theory) can pump out 100 but is set to limit to 60. I ran the batteries down over the last couple of days by accidently disabling the PDI so 5am last night I kicked in the Prosine's charger, Last I checked (About an hour ago) still sucking 60 amps. I have about 420 amp hours of storage.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
For a converter, I like IOTA brand.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I went with the IOTA as well. It was the only one that I found that puts out 14.8 volts in bulk mode, which is what my batteries specify.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I replaced my WFCO with a Progressive Dynamics 9245 45 amp. Got it on eBay brand new at a real good price. It also included the charge wizard pendant which tells you what charge mode it's in at a glance. works just fine.
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Whatever brand you get, be sure it is a "smart converter" so it will not over charge and fry your batteries.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #8

I also endorse bestconverter.com . Really good service . Iota is a good brand. Spend the extra 20 bucks or so to get the multi stage charging. If your system works fine with converter, I would not change to inverter/charger. If it ain't broke...

Tags
converter