Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2021, 07:42 PM   #1

AGM or Lithium batteries.

First Merry Christmas to all.

We are planning on replacing our 4 house batteries with either AGM or Lithium after the first of the year. Currently we have 6V deep cycles lead acid. Our 2021 Bounder 33C has 4 TV's, a large Samsung residential frig and convention microwave. Most of the time we camp with full hookups but in 2022 we want to do more dry camping for multiple days, most likely 2 days at a time max. We do have a 265-watt solar panel on board and would rather not have to run the generator.

So, what would you folks suggest.

Thanks in advance.
VentanaOdyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2021, 07:55 PM   #2

Right now those 4 lead acid batteries can maybe get you overnight before going below 50% SOC.
I went with 600 ah of lithium and 960 watts of solar because of that. I have a 35K
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 08:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If the two days are going to be in the heat than just keep your current batteries. You'll need the generator anyway.

I'm just playing devil's advocate really. Most of us really don't notice the difference from one battery to the next. People have been dry camping with wet cell batteries for ages. Do a power usage study and decide how much you want to spend to cover your needs. If you have the money lithium sure is tempting. I don't by that they're going to pay for themselves. That's what we tell the DW.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 08:20 PM   #4

Lithium gets you about half of the weight and twice the amp hours for the same space. That said if you trade your coach regularly it probably won't pay for itself because it may be a selling point at tradein but I don't think it's going to get you a lot of money. If you plan on keeping your coach for a while Lithium is probably the way to go but make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. Can you change your inverter/charger to a lithium profile (it may be a custom profile but that's PK). Do you have a way to keep your lithium batteries from wrecking your alternator by drawing too much amperage? There's probably a few other things I've forgotten. Lithium is coming down in price, there are now excellent LiFePo batteries for less that $600 for 100 amp hours and a little over $1,000 for 200 amp hours . Do your homework, shop carefully and know your needs. I might try about 400 watts of solar with your current setup and see how it goes, you can always add the lithium later. Good luck.

P.S.check out https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/li...batteries.html
Will's a rock star when it comes to solar.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 08:23 PM   #5

One other point I want is I don't want to have to add fluid to the batteries since Fleetwood picked the most inconvenient location to install the batteries where you have to remove one the inside entry steps to access them.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:29 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadBounder View Post
One other point I want is I don't want to have to add fluid to the batteries since Fleetwood picked the most inconvenient location to install the batteries where you have to remove one the inside entry steps to access them.
I think it's fair to not want to add fluid. I installed a watering system and don't even spend 10 minutes over 3 or 4 months filling the batteries.
I was very happy with the AGM batteries I had in my last MH.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Lithium gets you about half of the weight and twice the amp hours for the same space. That said if you trade your coach regularly it probably won't pay for itself because it may be a selling point at tradein but I don't think it's going to get you a lot of money. If you plan on keeping your coach for a while Lithium is probably the way to go but make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. Can you change your inverter/charger to a lithium profile (it may be a custom profile but that's PK). Do you have a way to keep your lithium batteries from wrecking your alternator by drawing too much amperage? There's probably a few other things I've forgotten. Lithium is coming down in price, there are now excellent LiFePo batteries for less that $600 for 100 amp hours and a little over $1,000 for 200 amp hours . Do your homework, shop carefully and know your needs. I might try about 400 watts of solar with your current setup and see how it goes, you can always add the lithium later. Good luck.

P.S.check out https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/li...batteries.html
Will's a rock star when it comes to solar.
Thanks, don't plan on trading ANY TIME soon. And yes, I did check both the solar controller and Invertor controller can be set to Lithium or AGM batteries. As for the alternator, never even thought about that. It has a 210 AMP alternator, so I am not sure if that matters.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:35 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadBounder View Post
Thanks, don't plan on trading ANY TIME soon. And yes, I did check both the solar controller and Invertor controller can be set to Lithium or AGM batteries. As for the alternator, never even thought about that. It has a 210 AMP alternator, so I am not sure if that matters.
Worth checking into but it seems like you could just turn off controller if needed when driving.
Old 12-25-2021, 03:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Worth checking into but it seems like you could just turn off controller if needed when driving.
Or add a DC to DC converter, which will limit the amperage drawn and pretty much assure that the alternator is not overloaded.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 04:31 AM   #10

If you go with LiFePo4 batteries be aware you will likely also need a DC-DC charger to keep from overloading your alternator, I recently installed a pair of 200AH ReBel brand LiFePo4 batteries, plus a Renogy 50 amp DC-DC charger with integrated MPPT solar controller in my coach. Total cost was right at $2,000 as DIY project, this included the batteries ($1,500 for both, discounted price due to being slightly irregular, not being built to spec so label data was wrong, regular price would be $2,000), Renogy 50 amp DC-DC charger ($240), Renogy BT-2 blue tooth dongle which adds programability to the DC-DC charger $25, and the rest went towards battery cable, 300 amp class T fuse, 350A disconnect switch, battery cable, etc. as I also relocated my battery bank to an indoor climate controlled locations as LiFePo4 does not like the cold and will not charge at below 32F or in my case discharge at below 14F (some brands have slightly lower discharge temperature limits)
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #11

Changing battery types

My first suggestion is to make sure your inverter/charger is capable of using AGM and/or Lithium batteries. Once you know that then you can make some choices. There are advantages and disadvantages to changing from normal lead acid to AGM or Lithium batteries. Both have a cost factor. AGM batteries are heavier and may not be exactly the same size as your lead acid. We changed to AGM House batteries about 3 years ago (our Chassis Batteries were AGM from the factory). They were an 1/8 inch difference in width and length size and that was not a problem for us. Many RV's have batteries installed in what is termed as "space available" that are difficult access to maintain and even more difficult to replace. We are fortunate to have an Interstate Battery Dealer that not only gave me a Military discount, he removed and installed our new AGM batteries at no charge. What brand you choose is an entirely different discussion. Our AGM batteries charge faster and hold their charge longer. Lithium did not fit our budget. AGM and Lithium are less maintenance for sure. All AGM and Lithium batteries need maintenance in terms of checking for terminal corrosion, loose terminals and loose hold downs especially from all the vibrations from traveling and any frayed cables. Not having to deal with keeping the batteries toped off will be your biggest advantage. Stay safe, Stay well and Happy Holidays to all.

Dick and Sandy near Buffalo, NY
2015 HR Ambassador 38DB
2000 Ford Explored Toad
Kash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 06:58 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I recently swapped eight 6V AGM deep cycle batteries for two 12V AGM deep cycle batteries. The AGMs, both old and new, work perfectly and Lithiums are too expensive right now. I'll look at them in the future when the price becomes more reasonable. BTW, the old batteries were eight years old...and most were still working fine.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 07:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I recently swapped eight 6V AGM deep cycle batteries for two 12V AGM deep cycle batteries. The AGMs, both old and new, work perfectly and Lithiums are too expensive right now. I'll look at them in the future when the price becomes more reasonable. BTW, the old batteries were eight years old...and most were still working fine.
What capacity are your two 12V AGM batteries?

Unless they are very large, it seems like you took a 50% reduction in amp hours. The typical size for both 6v and 12V batteries is about 200Ah. Eight 200Ah 6V AGM batteries = 800Ah total capacity. Two 200Ah 12V AGM batteries = 400Ah.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 08:28 PM   #14

How do you define more reasonable on price for LiFePo4 lithium batteries, as it is right now a low end generic 100 AH LiFePo4 battery is selling for around $300, many have a 5 year warranty, and a top of the line Battle Born with a 10 year warranty will sell for $800 with a number of options priced in between, if reasonably cared for even the cheap generic one will likely last at least 10-15 years with over 2,500 charge cycles at full discharge and perhaps 8,000 cycles at 80%, compare this to a similar size AGM battery that sells for around $180-$230 and 2-3 year warranty with perhaps 500-700 charge cycles and maybe a 5-6 year effective life span.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lithium