Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #1

American Coach (2000) front tv operating in motion?

About to purchase a 2000 American Coach (the kind with the elevating tv). I was told the tv doesn't operate when in motion. How can I bypass that? I want passengers to have the option.
rECUpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rECUpirate View Post
About to purchase a 2000 American Coach (the kind with the elevating tv). I was told the tv doesn't operate when in motion. How can I bypass that? I want passengers to have the option.
If the TV is visible to the driver, then it is illegal in most states to have it on while in motion.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
If the TV is visible to the driver, then it is illegal in most states to have it on while in motion.
Granted, however if the police can be playing with their laptops as they are speeding down the road I think I will take my chances with a TV that is sitting near the floor that can't be seen from the outside. I assume this is a standard mod done to bypass the "nanny state" regulation? Anyone else here figured this out?
rECUpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #4

Mine came from the factory with in motion sat as many others, if it didnt work going down the road I would change it to. I think there is a relay in the outlet that can be disconnected maybe someone helpful will chime in.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #5

It's the electric source that doesn't allow TV operation. I you bypass that then it will work
Mknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
If it's like our 98 PaceArrow (which has the TV that goes up from the bottom of the dash like yours I believe), the plug the TV is connected into has a disconnect relay connected to the ignition. On mine, if you just open up the plug it was easy to disable the relay so that the plug is always powered. Alternatively (and probably even easier) is to simply plug the TV into another plug that's on the inverter circuit.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #7

There's another plug outlet near the TV, just unplug the TV and plug it into the other outlet. It's that simple. It might be behind the folding cloth under the TV when raised. I did it on mine when we had a early Eagle.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Just disconnect the added ignition wires. (Cap them with marettes)
I changed the electrical plug with a residential one with 2 plug outlets.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
As far as the 'nanny state', what's safer? Travelling with tv off so the driver isn't tempted to look at it and screaming kids in the back or travelling with tv showing a Disney movie or something and kids quietly watching the movie ... (if it's not clear from the tone of my email, I often drive with the kids watching something on TV. On our old mh (one mentioned above), I disabled the bypass, on our new one with the TV mounted on the upper cabinets, there was no bypass and the TV could be powered on while driving).

Unfortunately, I think way too much is made about driver distractions. A lot of people make a huge fuss about using cells while driving - I actually do use Bluetooth handsfree because it's convenient but I don't really think it's much safer than holding the phone with my hand. I think most will agree that texting while driving is a no-no and should be banned. But IMO, driving and talking on a cell is no worse than driving and drinking coffee or eating breakfast or adjusting the radio or temperature controls or applying make-up, ... And as a parent and once a teenager, I can honestly say the biggest problem on the road is kids 0-25. Whether they are in the back seat screaming or crying or fighting or spilling something or they are in the front side driving ... If you want to make the roads safer, forget about banning cellphones, ban kids from cars !!!
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #10

I wonder if its possible to install passenger chairs in the bedroom. I know that would make my drive a lot more pleasurable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3845942086.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	40508  
Old 06-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sure nice when you get to the point of no rug-rats in the RV. Then you can pick when you want to take the grand kids.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote