Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #1

American Coach Owners - We need your knowledge/experience

We are down to the short strokes in evaluating our next coach. It's down to:
1. Country Coach - Intrigue 2007 or 2008
2. Monaco - Dynasty 2007 or 2008
3. American Coach - Eagle or Heritage ???
4. Newmar ???

What we need/want is:
1. TAG
2. 40 preferably or 42'
3. Double interior coaches
4. Minimum of a 425 Cummins
5. Minimum of a 10 KW genny

While we've learned a lot about the CC and Monaco, we know very little about the American Coach line as to how it measures up to the other coaches in our list. Beyond the obvious statements like "Buy what you like" and "You'll know it when you see/drive it" or "Buy what fits you/your..."

We asked this on the forums for CC and Monaco specifically to the current owners and received excellent input (the knowledge is awsum). Now its to/for the owner of the American Coach line.

In Your Opinion, for the years 2007 to 2009;
1. What should we look for
2. What should we stay away from
3. What is the hierarchy of models for these years
4. Suggest
5. Opinions

In advance, thanks for YOUR OPINION!!!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post

4. Newmar ???

What we need/want is:

1. TAG

2. 40 preferably or 42'

While we've learned a lot about the CC and Monaco, we know very little about the American Coach line as to how it measures up to the other coaches in our list. Beyond the obvious statements like "Buy what you like" and "You'll know it when you see/drive it" or "Buy what fits you/your..."

We asked this on the forums for CC and Monaco specifically to the current owners and received excellent input (the knowledge is awsum). Now its to/for the owner of the American Coach line.

4. Suggest

5. Opinions

1. The Heritage comes in only 45' models. The Eagle came in 40' (non-tag), 42', and 45' models.

2. There were some issues with some Eagles in 2008, where the front axle was overloaded and many owners opted to have Spartan upgrade to the 16,600# axle (standard on the Heritage) at their own expense. I would verify which axle is on any Eagle I was considering.

3. The Heritage is the top of the line, Eagle is next, followed by Tradition (not on your list).

4. See #2.

5. I have had 1999 (40'), 2003 (42'), and now 2011 (45') Eagles. Love the coach. The support is great. Based on your list, the Heritage is in a higher class than what you appear to be considering for the other manufacturers. Tags in AC coaches are in 42' and 45' models, if you REALLY prefer 40' you won't find it in a tag. Not sure what you mean by double interior coaches (possibly couches?). Engine sizes varied from 400ISL to 500, and even 600 on the Heritage, depending on year/length/floor plan/model. The 10kw generator was standard, but the 12.5kw was an option on the 2008 Heritage.
You might want to download the brochures from the manufacturers website. You can see the available floor plans, as well as standard features and options.

ArlinV
2011 American Eagle 45B
Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #3

arlinv:

Thanks for your input. Very helpful.

One question: There is no American Coach Owner's Forum on this site and you're the only one who responded. Unexpected.

Is the AC more of a rare bird out there?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Check the Fleetwood Owners Forum for American Coach Products.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
Check the Fleetwood Owners Forum for American Coach Products.
Thanks.

How do I move this thread to the Fleetwood Owner's Forum?
Old 07-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
IMO On the blue tool bar use the pull down menu for "Community" and click on the "Meet our Staff". Then I would PM one of the Community Administrators and ask them to move it.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:37 AM   #7
Community Administrator

You're wish is our command . Moved

Quote:
Thanks.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #8

There is also an American Coach Yahoo group which is pretty active.

John

2015 American Revolution 42G
John & Dorene with Lexie, Bailey, Brie (Bernese Mountain Dogs), Chloe (American Eskimo), and Ember (German Shepard Dog)
Old 07-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #9

Quote:
arlinv:

Thanks for your input. Very helpful.

One question: There is no American Coach Owner's Forum on this site and you're the only one who responded. Unexpected.

Is the AC more of a rare bird out there?

As mentioned in another reply, there is a very active American Coach group on Yahoo. You may want to consider joining so you can get direct feedback.

I don't see the AC as being any more rare than other brands/models. I have participated in AC rallies with more than 300 coaches from all corners of the country. I see them in RV parks wherever I go.

If you can't find the answers to specific questions, hit me with a PM. I'll be glad to help, if able.

ArlinV
2011 American Eagle 45B
Old 07-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
4. Newmar ???

What we need/want is:
1. TAG
2. 40 preferably or 42'

4. Suggest
5. Opinions

I have owned a '99 40' Eagle (non tag) and currently an '09 42' Eagle tag. As previously stated, no knowledge of 40' tags in AC.

1. I love the tag, aquahot, heated tile floors (I actually use mine in more cool/cold weather than warm), bath and 1/2, and the opposing couches (if that is what you are asking about?).

My '99 I owned for 11 years, very few of my issues were American Coach, most of mine were related to Spartan (which I love the chassis).

2. I do not think other than the axle issue already discussed you should stay away from, like any other coach, look it over very carefully, preferably with a knowledgeable RV person and also with an authorized mfg for chassis/motor.

3. Heritage, Eagle, Tradition and they may have had the Allegiance in '08?

4. I am very bias on the American Coach product, but there customer service has been beyond expectations over the years. They have been part of Fleetwood, but have a separate customer service line for the American products (may have changed recently but don't know for sure). They have assisted me in so many ways and neither of mine were bought new.

5. Your needs/desires are very important, what is best for me may not be important to you or fulfill your desires or needs. I love the tag and wouldn't want to be without it for how I use my unit (towing a 10k lb gross trailer), customer service, aqua hot (I wasn't a big fan initially), residential refrigerator etc. You can get many of these same features from any of the mfg's you listed, but Newmar, Country Coach, Monaco and American all have different levels of quality so you need to make sure you are comparing equals. I do not know enough about Monaco to know whether the Dynasty is equal to the AC Eagle, Newmar Mountain Air or Essex, but I don't believe they are?

That doesn't mean the Dynasty is inferior, I just don't know and for comparisons I would want to know.

I think American has had some Quality Control Issues as I think all mfg did during the down turn in the economy.

I also think American's decorating tastes in the Eagles are more to my personal tastes than the Newmar Mountain Air, doesn't make it better, just more to my taste. I think the Newmar Essex is closer in my tastes and I would consider an Essex or King Air from Newmar. 2 years ago when I looked for my current unit, I did look at a few Country Coach's and Newmar products, but what I could buy used for my money I went with the Eagle. My brother also has a 2001 Eagle, so I have been around 3 different Eagles over the past 13 years and would not hesitate to buy another.

I have a 425hp Cummins, it is more than adequate, but I do wish I had the 500 which was an option in 2009.

Good luck in your search.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #11

Newmar 40 footers are tags
srrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:03 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
A friend has a 40' Beaver with a tag. Tag takes up a lot of storage space.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #13

I came very close to getting a CC 42 but after checking out the 2008 American Tradition 42F i changed my mind, having the bath and a half with full wall slide and a king bed was the hot ticket
also having both couches worked out great, we can have them both made up as beds and still walk past. (barely)
H20 Toie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20 Toie View Post
I came very close to getting a CC 42 but after checking out the 2008 American Tradition 42F i changed my mind, having the bath and a half with full wall slide and a king bed was the hot ticket
also having both couches worked out great, we can have them both made up as beds and still walk past. (barely)
I've said it before and I'll say it again...I think the AC 42F is one of the best floor plans around!...

OP - Any of those coaches you list will be very nice. When we were shopping, the Dynasty was on our short list...they built a lot of them and the prices were very reasonable (IMO) so they were/are a great value!
tankcj is online now   Reply With Quote