Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
American Eagle -- Speedometer/Odometer

While there are a few posts about Fleetweed/Spartan speedometer/odometer issues here that I researched, I thought I would add my recent experience.

I have had problems with just the odometer section of my VDO speedo since I bought the RV two years ago. Sometimes it was fine, other times it just flashed, but mostly was unreadable.

I purchased a VDO unit online for roughly $160 if my memory serves correctly.
The old one was M 211 012 073 437-052B
The one I ordered was all the same --- just no B after the 052.

It installed easily (five minutes max) as all connectors were the same, and I have easy access to the back of the dash on the Eagle. It was just a matter of pulling it out, then putting the other in. no bolts or wires to change at all, just push connectors. It is held in my a large ring on the housing so not even a bracket like a lot of gauges use.

I started it up and is showed ---0.0 === great, it must be working. I test drive the RV and the speed was about 15 when I was doing 50 == not good.
I was hoping it was not due to my unit not having the B.

I researched online and came across the VDO electronic calibration procedures. I first used the measured mile procedure after downloading an APP for my cell phone. That was OK, but still several MPH off. I then used the UP/DOWN procedure and now have it within point 5 MPH. of cellphone GPS speed readings.

All is good.

I have now lost the actual mileage of the old unit and per Florida DMV procedures will have to say the actual mileage is NOT CORRECT if/when I sell.
When I do sell I plan to get a readout from Cummins to show the actual miles since that is kept in the engine computer. (I have seen that on my engine before from Cummins when I had service work done)

thanks --- Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #2

My VDO still functional as a speedo but odometer is dark...
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:49 AM   #3

mackwrench --- that was pretty much my situation.

Before our Alaska trip I wanted to be able to look at miles traveled both for fuel mileage, as well as knowing if something is five miles away on the Alaska Camping book, when that five miles happens.

As an aside related to fuel mileage.

Is your fuel gauge indicate reasonable accurate?

The 2000 Eagle is supposed to have a 150 gallon tank. Verified by calling Fleetwood and talking to them. Yet when I am about 1/8 tank left the RV usually takes about 90-95 gallons. I have been hesitant to really take it to the E mark as I don't want to go through getting air in the fuel injection system.

talk soon --- Dale
Old 04-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #4

Yep I got the same fuel gauge I've ran tank to less than 1/8, never been able to get more than 100 gallons in it.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #5

mackwrench -- Is your tank supposed to be 150 gallons also?
I did get it extremely close to the E one time and put in 107 gallons, so I think it is probably really 150.

I was just curious, and your experience seems to validate what I thought about the gauge --- thx

Dale
Old 04-25-2017, 04:14 AM   #6

Yes, the owners manual I have says 150 gallon...
Old 04-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #7

Fuel Gauge

I also have a 2000 Eagle and have wondered the exact same thing... never able to get more then 100 gallons of fuel in at about 1/8 of a tank.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that we have about 40 gallons left on empty.

Also have never had the generator stop on low fuel when gauge reads less then 1/4.
rezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:51 AM   #8

I have a 2011 American Tradition, also with a supposedly 150-gal. fuel tank. I have found that if I tilt the coach extremely to the side opposite of where I'm fueling it, I can easily get another 25 gallons in. The location and angle of the fill neck may be what's keeping us from filling the tank to the top to get the full 150 gallons.
Bob B.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #9

I'm trying to get a visual on how you "tilt" the coach while fueling.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
I'm trying to get a visual on how you "tilt" the coach while fueling.
Hi Mack,

Before I begin fueling, I press the 'Manual' button for levelling, then raise the side on which I will be doing the fueling, and lower the side that is opposite. It's better to get the fuel on the passenger side, so that the steps don't hit the ground when you're exiting (after you've tilted it).
Bob B.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:43 PM   #11

Not trying to hi-jack your thread, but I also have a eagle, a 98 to be exact and man is it a bear to fuel up, a very slow process, pull the handle to full and I get a diesel bath, or even half way I get the same bath, anyone else have fueling issues with their Eagle?
dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragger View Post
Not trying to hi-jack your thread, but I also have a eagle, a 98 to be exact and man is it a bear to fuel up, a very slow process, pull the handle to full and I get a diesel bath, or even half way I get the same bath, anyone else have fueling issues with their Eagle?
Yours sounds like a vent issue, .... I'll take a peek at mine that reference where the vent hose is.

You should try to remove the cap opposite the side your fueling and see...
With both caps removed it should fill quickly​.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:17 AM   #13

I think dragger you may have posted elsewhere about it, but most of us do not have that issue.

If I use the passenger side my tank fills easily. If I use the driver side it fills quickly but seems to foam easier cutting off the nozzle sooner so I do not get a complete fill.

However --- both sides fill as quickly as the high speed pumps from a truck stop will fill. That also includes filling from the satellite sometimes so there are two high speed nozzles filling at once. I will admit i have not fully mastered using two nozzles, which can result in some fuel spillage, so I don't do that often.

You do probably have a vent issue.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #14

I have tried removing the other cap when filling, only to come up with the same results. I would have thought that would be enough of a hole to vent.
dragger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speedometer