RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2018, 09:18 PM   #1
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
American Tradition Info Needed

We recently sold our S&B and are in the beginning stages of researching several different makes of "good" quality pre-owned Class A DP in the 2008-2012 year range. Our 2004 Newmar Dutch Star DP has served us well but we are wanting a several year newer coach with slides on each side vs (2) slides on one side which we now have. Next week we will be looking at (3) different American Tradition coaches:
1. 2009 Model 42F 43 ft with a full wall slide, drvs side and 2 large slides, pass side-43400mi-appears to be in good condition with a few minor cosmetic issues.
2. 2008 Model 42F 43 ft 34834MI about the same condition.
3. 2007 Model 42R 41328MI

Don't have much knowledge of this coach brand other than I've heard that their quality is supposedly very good.
Would appreciate input/suggestions from others who have or currently own any similar to what I will be looking at.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2018, 03:29 AM   #2

American coaches are IMO top of the line. I love my 1998 tradition and we have just one big slide. I am the 3rd owner and for the age I would have to say that the coach has held up extremely well. I can't comment on the exact coaches you are looking at but I don't think you can go wrong.
chiefM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:19 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
American Tradition Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
We recently sold our S&B and are in the beginning stages of researching several different makes of "good" quality pre-owned Class A DP in the 2008-2012 year range. Our 2004 Newmar Dutch Star DP has served us well but we are wanting a several year newer coach with slides on each side vs (2) slides on one side which we now have. Next week we will be looking at (3) different American Tradition coaches:
1. 2009 Model 42F 43 ft with a full wall slide, drvs side and 2 large slides, pass side-43400mi-appears to be in good condition with a few minor cosmetic issues.

Don't have much knowledge of this coach brand other than I've heard that their quality is supposedly very good.
Would appreciate input/suggestions from others who have or currently own any similar to what I will be looking at.

Thanks
You asked, and from experience stay with Newmar! American Coach is now REV Group, out to make a buck, Customer Support thin at best. Newmar is family owned, backs their product- in for the long haul. Those coaches you are looking at are probably fine until, you contact American Coach for parts. The standard response is, "That coach is 10 years old, we don't have that." Also, do not expect a call back. This company is not Fleetwood or American Coach of yore. I do not know your locale, keep Lazy Days and Camping World off your list. IMHO, of course......but been there, done that.
Good Luck
Car1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
I have been very pleased with the service from my 2011 Tradition.

I will not respond about the customer service these days but since I have owned my coach they have been great but with Rev the new owner I don't know.
I have not needed anything a good thing right.
They do offer service centers in I think 3 if not 4 locations.

Ok about the yrs all I can say is the models your looking at have a lower hanging frame rail so the basement usable height is less then say a 2009 or 2010 can't recall exactly when they raised them up.
Also you would be getting a cleaner burning low emissions AH system on a slightly newer yr.
I have owned 4 out of 5 Fleetwood branded products and have had good luck with all of them.
Newmar is also a top notch coach as mentioned.
Good luck!
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:44 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
The Tradition is a fine coach, and the support from AC is still fine. Any of the three would be okay, get the floor plan the D/W likes. Also, there is a separate AC forum that is very good...it's not in competition with this one, and is for AC owners only. Most of us are on both forums.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #6

I've had my '07 Tradition for a year and a half. I've put about 15,000 miles on it. I and the DW absolutely love it. It is pre DEF & DPF and I'm glad for that - one less thing to worry about.

Customer support from the REV group for American Coach has changed. It was very good until about 4 months ago, then it changed. I haven't contacted them since then. But keep in mind most of the stuff that needs fixing will be 3rd party things and I've had good results in contacting the manufacturer of the part that needs fixing.

Also keep in mind that the American Coach line in terms of quality has changed also. In browsing the RV shows, I get the impression the new American Coaches aren't quite up to the quality of the older ones like mine, but that just may be my impression.

In the time frame you are looking, Fleetwood made the AC line and I think they considered AC their upper brand. Perhaps the REV group still does.

I had some work done by a REV group service center in Alvarado, TX 2 months ago and I was satisfied with their work.

Concerning Newmar, I was considering a slightly newer Dutch Star when I was RV shopping. I felt this Tradition was a slightly better deal, but I wouldn't hesitate in buying a Newmar product, everything else being equal of course. I did a ton of research before buying and these opinions are based on that research.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post

Thanks
I'd go with the 07 with an 06 Cat engine (call the serial number into CAT for history). This also for staying away from a full wall slide and for having some real quality before the recession years set in.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote