Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-17-2021, 07:18 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 62
American Tradition tail lights

Hello there,

I want to upgrade tail lights on our American Tradition to LED tails! Just want to confirm, its from the GMC Sierra 1500 99-06 truck right?
Im confident, but if someone found the P/N on those, it would be great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	253985567_299552938684084_2565128731714780105_n.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	349091   Click image for larger version

Name:	255039792_200069618975213_6736535405161390305_n.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	349092  

Attached Images
 
timmyzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior Member




 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,755
I tried LED's and found them to be no brighter than incandescent.
__________________
Tim
Leesburg, FL
'07 American Tradition 40Z Cummins 400 ISL
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 24,754
Not enough information to know if that's the right light - the tail light assembly changes from time to time as they freshen up the body look each year. The lights on my '04 came from a Ford SUV as I recall.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition and several other RVs
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:23 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I tried LED's and found them to be no brighter than incandescent.
Really !! Wow its shame, because usually, LEDs are much brighter!!! I also they kinda ruin the back end style!
timmyzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:00 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Bigd9's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 7,637
On a lot of head and tail lights, if you look real close, you can find the TYC number. If you Google that number, it will show you what vehicle it was originally made for.

Here is a picture showing the location for the number for the tail lights on my Discovery coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail Light (3) arrow.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	349302  
__________________
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
Pete
Central Kentucky
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:08 AM   #6
Senior Member




 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyzr1 View Post
Really !! Wow its shame, because usually, LEDs are much brighter!!! I also they kinda ruin the back end style!
I replaced two of my brake light bulbs with LED's that were made to reflect off a surface on the bulb and that reflection was to reflect off the interior of the light fixture. They were expensive about 50 each. I found out later that the fixture has to be made with the proper reflective material and placed at just the right angle. I returned the bulbs and the salesman said he has had several of these bulbs returned because people thought you could use these bulbs in any fixture.

Bottom line at least for the bulbs I bought they must reside in the proper fixture.
I think the original poster is considering replacing the entire light fixture with a new one that has LED's already mounted inside. In that case I would think the lights will show much brighter but at great expense.
__________________
Tim
Leesburg, FL
'07 American Tradition 40Z Cummins 400 ISL
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:00 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I replaced two of my brake light bulbs with LED's that were made to reflect off a surface on the bulb and that reflection was to reflect off the interior of the light fixture. They were expensive about 50 each. I found out later that the fixture has to be made with the proper reflective material and placed at just the right angle. I returned the bulbs and the salesman said he has had several of these bulbs returned because people thought you could use these bulbs in any fixture.

Bottom line at least for the bulbs I bought they must reside in the proper fixture.
I think the original poster is considering replacing the entire light fixture with a new one that has LED's already mounted inside. In that case I would think the lights will show much brighter but at great expense.
In this case, im talking about replacing the whole tail light in favor of a LED built one! Not swapping LED bulbs in a non led tails!
timmyzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 03:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 24,754
I can't imagine spending several hundreds of dollars each for new fixtures to accomplish what several new led bulbs could do, but suit yourself.


There are led bulbs configured to be replacements for standard incandescent 12v bulbs and they work fine. Probably not notably brighter, but not dimmer either. Just lower amp consumption. Just buy leds with the same designation, e.g. 1157, 3157, etc.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition and several other RVs
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:35 AM   #9
Senior Member




 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Snip

There are led bulbs configured to be replacements for standard incandescent 12v bulbs and they work fine. Probably not notably brighter, but not dimmer either. Just lower amp consumption. Just buy leds with the same designation, e.g. 1157, 3157, etc.

That was my experience, the LED's I installed in the OEM fixture were not noticeably brighter. I went back to incandescent.
I will also say the incandescent bulbs are not bright enough, hence by attempt to brighten them with LED's.
__________________
Tim
Leesburg, FL
'07 American Tradition 40Z Cummins 400 ISL
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 24,754
If you want brighter lights, you need to use bulbs with a higher lumen rating. Replacing an incandescent 1157 with an led 1157 doesn't do that because the lumens are supposed to be part of the 1157 spec (but bulbs may vary a lot). The incandescent 1157 is supposed to be about 40 lumens on the low intensity filament (tail light) and 400 lumens on the high intensity brake light. You can get led 1157's with 2x-7x the high intensity lumens and around2x on low intensity.
Here's one really bright 1157 led: https://www.amazon.com/1157-LED-Bulb...07GYL5X7H?th=1


Sometimes the fixture is simply not designed to reflect a lot of light or the outer cover is so thick & dark that not much gets through it. You won't see a lot of additional brightness on those - think of a bright light inside a room with no windows and a closed door. The brightest light in the world is going to shine through.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition and several other RVs
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 141
I did exactly what you wanted to do on our 2008 American Tradition 42F. The replacement Taillamps fit a 1985 thru 2005 Astro/Safari Van. You will need x2 pairs.

I got mine off Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XLN8S3J...ing=UTF8&psc=1

If the link doesn't work go to Amazon and search for this: AmeriLite for Astro Safari Van Crystal Red LED Replacement Tail Lights Pair - Passenger and Driver Side

The main Running/Brake light is a built in LED (and is brighter than any LED bulb you can put in your original lamps).

For the side marker and reverse bulb it uses the original bulb types. Just replace those with LED replacements (I went with extra bright ones).

It makes the coach look like a newer coach. I did have to file a bit on the fiberglass to get the lamps to fit square in the openings. Pretty easy to do.

Good luck!
gjames50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjames50 View Post
I did exactly what you wanted to do on our 2008 American Tradition 42F. The replacement Taillamps fit a 1985 thru 2005 Astro/Safari Van. You will need x2 pairs.

I got mine off Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XLN8S3J...ing=UTF8&psc=1

If the link doesn't work go to Amazon and search for this: AmeriLite for Astro Safari Van Crystal Red LED Replacement Tail Lights Pair - Passenger and Driver Side

The main Running/Brake light is a built in LED (and is brighter than any LED bulb you can put in your original lamps).

For the side marker and reverse bulb it uses the original bulb types. Just replace those with LED replacements (I went with extra bright ones).

It makes the coach look like a newer coach. I did have to file a bit on the fiberglass to get the lamps to fit square in the openings. Pretty easy to do.

Good luck!

exactly!! I just found out with the TYC P/N that is 1988-05 gmc safari taillights!! One more reason to change them!!

like these!
https://www.amazon.com/Spyder-Auto-C...8486660&sr=8-1
timmyzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8
Updated with Safari lights

The 4 replacement GM Astro mini van lights I installed 5 years ago. They included LED side markers in same housing and ha e been worth the upgrade. Alot less expensive ipgrade tham new motor coach would cost. Will be back at home base next Wednesday and have all order information if you want more info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211203_111830.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	350460   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211203_111920.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	350461  

rctfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:40 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctfla View Post
The 4 replacement GM Astro mini van lights I installed 5 years ago. They included LED side markers in same housing and ha e been worth the upgrade. Alot less expensive ipgrade tham new motor coach would cost. Will be back at home base next Wednesday and have all order information if you want more info.
Can you post pics??
timmyzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light, lights, tail lights



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DG's 2008 American Tradition :: 2008 American Coach American Tradition nkadave iRV2 Owners Registry 0 12-08-2020 02:52 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.