Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #1

Any Discovery 42a owners out there.....

We just recently ordered a 2011 Discovery 40G that we took delivery of back in April. We absolutely love our Coach and have frankly had very few issues with it. Between the folks at Owner Relations at Fleetwood and the service dept at General RV, I am very pleased at how some of my few warranty issues have been resolved.

My family (3 children 7, 10, 12) has just recently returned from a 12 day trip to Mt Rushmore and we now realize we should have purchased the 42a. DW cannot stop saying I told you so . I would have done it originally but I have never owned any type of RV prior to this purchase and I was intimidated to go any bigger than what I already was.

I am looking for positive and negative feedback regarding this Coach and floorplan. I am especially interested in hearing from 2011 owners with the Bunk option in the rear. This change will certainly cost me and I want to make sure I am making the right choice.

The one negative that I have heard from a 2011 owner is that the rear bunk area gets too warm because there are no A/C vents back there. This is still a bit of a mystery because a salesman that I am talking to tells me that his 2011 42a on his lot does have a vent in the ceiling in the bunk area. Did they make a production change mid cycle?

The only other comments that I have heard is that the entry into the half bath is quite tight when the slides are closed and that the kitchen storage is a bit limited compared to the 40G model.

We are thinking of making this change due to the additional half bath and the dedicated rear bedroom for the kids. If that area is too warm all of the time, that defeats our purpose. Of course we know it'll be a bit louder back there due to the engine noise, that we can work with.

Members of this forum have always been a source of great information- I thank you in advance.

Adil R.
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't own a 40G or 42A, but I don't see any reason to trade and take a loss. If we were talking two showers maybe, but otherwise you have a rocking coach. I do have four GKs that I take out, two boys and two girls.
Ages, 14, 13, 8, 3, you have way more room than I do!
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Going from a used 40' to a new 42' will be lots of $$$$
Since this is your first RV. Trade ins usually get wholesale price.
Which may put you upside down real fast.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Going from a used 40' to a new 42' will be lots of $$$$
Since this is your first RV. Trade ins usually get wholesale price.
Which may put you upside down real fast.
Ouch! Wholesale only? 40' is a keeper.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
JMHO, but I'd "make do" with what you have, as noted above, you'll take a tremendous hit if you trade now. Re the salesman's comments, don't believe anything he/she says, check it your self.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'll have to look at your floorplans to really understand your issues completely. However, we have a 2010 discovery 40G and are very happy with the floorplan. We have 5 kids and make do just fine. The bunk area is a bit warm but we divert air closing most of the vents in the front cabin and opening the 2 in the bunk area and the ones in the master. I can't imagine the loss you take to go to the 42a, but I'll bet you'll be more than happy with the 40G.
Good Luck!
mdbaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Unfortunately, as you already know and others have mentioned, upgrading to new will cost you a bunch. The best scenerio is if you can find a dealership that has a slightly used or demo one on their lot which is probably unlikely but not impossible - if you found that, you might not take too much of a hit to upgrade - if anything they might feel that the 40G is easier to sell simply because it is cheaper so might give you a decent deal (You could also try contacting Fleetwood - maybe they have a demo one that they'll let you have for a reasonable cost especially since you are an existing customer). Otherwise, if you aren't in too much of a hurry, you could maybe wait until the fall and try to find a dealer that still has an new unsold one on their lot - they might be willing to give you a good price on it just so that they don't have to keep it until the spring (but on the other hand the trade-in they give you on your 40G might not be very good for the same reason).

As far as actual experience with the 42A, can't help you there. I'm just dreaming of the day I can afford one :( As far as the A/C, it could be that the bunk room gets warm as, to my surprise, it doesn't look like Fleetwood has an option for 3rd A/Cs on the 42s even though they have it as an option on the 40s. A relatively cheap / easy fix might simply be to make sure there are vents and also maybe just install ceiling fans. Also, without ever having seen it, based on the floorplan, I suspect that the 42A is probably fairly unusable with the slides in; you likely have to crawl over the master bed to get to the rear bathroom / bedroom (especially if you have the king) and it looks like the door for the front bathroom would not open completely and would hit the counter. You likely also have to have the leaf in for the dinette table and can't have the extra chairs out so with a large family, stoping for a quick bite on the road is not quite as convenient.

All that said, if money isn't that much of an issue, in your shoes, I'd probably still try to do the upgrade (although obviously I'd have to see both in person). As much as I'd love to have a 40G, I think the 42A is a great floorplan and is ideal for families and IMO is significantly more usable particularly as the children get older.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #8

Hello everybody! As the OP for this thread I wanted to provide an update to my concern regarding the rear bunk area and the AC vents. I spoke to Doug Miller who is a factory representative for Fleetwood. He passed my concerns on to engineering and product development. BTW- Doug is great about getting you the most detailed information that you might be in need for. This is the 2nd time he has come through for me.

There is currently one AC vent in the rear bunk area and one in the rear bathroom. After my concerns were passed on, they have agreed to add one more AC vent in the rear bunk area during their next design change. I have been told these design changes take place quite often. If I decide to order one, it'll be with the 2 vents. Also, the engineers are going to run some tests on a 42a that will be rolling off the line soon just to see what the current cooling situation is in the back.

Once again, I have found the folks at Fleetwood to be very responsive and easily accessible.

As for our decision, we have been told there is a good chance there will be a 42a on display at FMCA next month. We will wait till we can touch it and see it. If that passes, I'll have to see how much of a hit this switch will cost me.

Thanks.
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #9

Just wondering why you feel the 42 would work better for your family? My wife and I just purchased a 40G and it works great for our family of six.

Thanks
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:44 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40GnTX View Post
Just wondering why you feel the 42 would work better for your family? My wife and I just purchased a 40G and it works great for our family of six.

Thanks
While I would love to have a 40G, if given the choice, I would certainly pick the 42A over the 40G. With a family, having the extra 1/2 bath, the opposing sofas and the dedicated 2nd bedroom / play area would be huge upgrade (we're a family of 4 and there have been times when a 2nd bathroom would have been really useful). Also I suspect it would be relatively easy to convert rear bedroom area to sleep 3 or 4 for larger families - with the 40G, you can sleep 2 in the bunk and then you have to use the dinette and sofa if you want more - certainly useable but not as good as having dedicated space to sleep 3 or 4 in rear bed. Also, particularly for those with younger children, I think the 42A layout is "better" - there's more privacy between the two sleeping areas (bathroom between bedrooms and not having to walk by the bunks (and around the ladder! I can see myself stubbing my toes on that more than once) to go to bedroom / bathroom / get a drink or snack / go outside, etc) and with the 2nd bedroom at back, you don't have to worry as much about making noise in the front if kids are sleeping. Also since we have young kids sleeping in the front of ours, one of our concerns is that in theory, the kids could manage to open the entry door and go outside without us noticing (we always make sure to lock both but eventually, they'll figure out how to unlock and we'll have to come up with something else (not as serious but our youngest son likes to play with dash switches and has already gotten out of bed and started the generator and honked the horn early in the morning)) - with the 42A, we really like that we would be sleeping between them and the exit door. If they try to go to the front and / or outside, I'd notice it. Also, I don't know the UVW on each but with 12000lbs more GVWR, I suspect the 42A has a sizeable edge in carrying capacity. Even for those who aren't traveling kids might benefit from the 42A - our mother-in-law often likes to join us on trips, in our coach, she sleeps on the pullout (which means that we lose the front when she's sleeping) - I really don't see her sleeping in either the top or even bottom bunk of a 40G (although I guess she might make do in the bottom) but she would certainly be very comfortable in the rear lower bed in the 42A. I think the 42A also has more storage (particularly passthrough). On the other hand, since they have the same engines, the 42A might be a underpowered especially compared to the 40G and will likely use more fuel (I'm kind of surprised that the 42A didn't come with a larger engine, loaded up to 55k lbs GCWR might really be pushing the 380hp ISC (I suspect it was likely simply to keep costs down - just the different chassis with tag probably increases the cost significantly)). And obviously the 42A is bigger so it's a little harder to park and takes a little bit more room and with the tag, tolls add up a lot quicker. Also the 42A does cost more and with the tag, the maintenance and tires costs are higher.

I think they're both great floorplans for families but I think the 42A offers several benefits.

Just my 2 cents,
Mike
Old 09-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is a link to some friends of mine (Clients actually) ... they are one of the largest RV dealers in Canada and this site will provide some handy reference / comparison material for you? I can understand your questioning your purchase, or more correctly (honestly), being bitten by the bug and wanting more!? The Discovery 42 tag is a great coach and reminds me very much of our '08 Tiffin Phaeton 42' tag with Spartan / Cummins 380. Although the combination worked very well for us for 3+ years ( we have six kids who travel in smaller "groups" with us sometimes) I would have liked more power in the big hills and some additional "considerations" that came on a slightly more expensive Coach. I happen to think that if you're even considering switching to the Discovery 42 that you take a serious look at the Providence 42W as well. Unfortunately for the Seller but great for you, the price I suspect you can buy this motor home right now I think it's a "steal" - probably very close to the Discovery? Same Liberty platform, engine, side rad, maintenace compartment, etc. as our Revolution but for a whole lot less. Of course you have to like the floor plan. What you are considering is radical for many - we traded our '05 Winnie less than 6 months after we took delivery of it so, no , I don't think you're being outlandish, just generous to yourselves?? Good luck, and tell 'em Tony sent you.

RV Inventory - Sicard Holiday Campers
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
There's always the boat, home or RV that is better, bigger, longer, faster, more equipped, etc. If you get the 42a, you'll see and know for sure, the one that just pulled in is what you really should've got.

My opinion.. If you're going for a Discovery 42a, there are Motorhomes that beat it hands down in the same price range or close. The Discovery 42a bumps you in a higher class where you have to shop all over again. Tiffin, Newmar, Monaco, etc.

I would instantly go for the Tiffin Alegro Bus tag or the NewMar Mountain Aire tag any day over the Discovery Tag.

I've stated in other threads... Get the biggest, baddest thing you can afford and when you're there, that's all you can do.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
There's always the boat, home or RV that is better, bigger, longer, faster, more equipped, etc. If you get the 42a, you'll see and know for sure, the one that just pulled in is what you really should've got.

My opinion.. If you're going for a Discovery 42a, there are Motorhomes that beat it hands down in the same price range or close. The Discovery 42a bumps you in a higher class where you have to shop all over again. Tiffin, Newmar, Monaco, etc.

I would instantly go for the Tiffin Alegro Bus tag or the NewMar Mountain Aire tag any day over the Discovery Tag.
Actually, while I won't argue that Tiffin, Newmar and Monaco make a 'finer' motorhome than the Discovery. IMO, for a family, they don't offer a better floorplan than the 42A (I can't think of any manufacturer that does at any price (although granted if you spend enough, you can get something custom finished)).
Old 09-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree completely that there are coaches that beat the Discovery 42 "hands down" - but the Allegro Bus, Newmar, Revolution etc. are allot more money! I included the link to this particular Dealer's inventory to illustrate precisely that point. The Phaeton 42' tag like the one I had in '08 is way more money for 2011 /2012 than I paid. The "entry level" tags, all of which are 42' today, are "apples" - the big buses you mention are "oranges"? For instance, the Revolution I have will cost you about $75K more than the Discovery? I'm saying that, at the moment, that Providence 42W, for a variety of reasons, offers huge "bang for the buck", kinda like I feel I experience back in late '07 when we purchased our Phaeton? I'm not sure why they're priced the way they are but, it is almost identical in build, and build quality to our Revolution and many other Coaches that sell for allot more money? Sometimes there are just some good deals to be had?
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote