Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #15

Thanks Phil, this is the type of info i was hoping to find on the forum. I did not realize that the wall covering is plastic and waterproof..or supposed to be anyway. I'll look at getting some sort of sealer for the bottom part of the shower enclosure.

I'm taking having my slide worked on under warranty in a couple of weeks. I don't have time at this point to take it back to Decatur, but will be taking it to a large dealer that still has a relatively good reputation for some good RV techs. I want to be very clear with them about what I expect them to do with the slide. I understand that there are supposed to be metal plates for the rollers, which I do NOT see on mine. Where are they supposed to be.. underneath the slide box just above the rollers? With my slide extended all I dont see anything above the rollers other than the bottom of the slide box.

I'v looked and looked and cannot find the dashboard problem thread. I'll keep searching. So far I have inspected and noticed/seen nothing to indicate any sidewall/frame integrity issues.

ALso, going to the local Ford truck dealer when I get home. The tow/haul needs to be reprogrammed as per the TSB that is out on it. And I want to get the bolts on the rear antisway bar tightned and locked.

The only other irritating - and I hope not dangerous - issue is the knocking I hear with any substantial lateral movement of the body, such as pulling out of a driveway over a curb, or potholes in CG roads for example. Sounds like a paint can rolling around hitting something underneath. It could be flexing of the flooring in the storage areas. Thats going to be a hard one to figure out unless someone else has had that issue and found the answer.

We really do like very much the floorplan and hope to keep it for a number of years. We had the "perfect" '05 Bounder 32W that was given up to Diesel Pusher envy a few years ago. We wanted to go small and the stuff inside this Admiral are the very same as much of what was in the Bounder. My wife has taken to calling it the Baby Bounder. This thing has huge storage underneath. Size wise it fits us perfectly right now.

Thanks for your input.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #16

This link will get you the info on screw shearing that happens with hitting potholes and chassis flex.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/2011...om-337035.html

I have only seen one slide (mine). but I know wrong, when I see it. The roller nearest the refrigerator is mounted to the floor. It bears on, and supports the slide box floor. The floor is plywood with a plastic laminate on the bottom, that the roller runs over. On my unit, the roller has compressed the plywood about 1/8 inch, along the track it traverses. The plastic is still present and imbedded in the depression. Plywood density is not uniform and the track has lumps and ridges which the roller rides over, making the slide climb up and down as it "slides". This causes the slide to have a jerky movement. The metal plate that the roller should ride on, is installed immediately adjacent to the worn track. Would be funny, if it weren't mine.
PSOUZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #17

I returned my 2015 26E Flair (similar to your model) last year for warranty work because the main slide would not close properly. The inspection revealed that the floor under the refrigerator where the roller makes contact had become deformed. This resulted in a unacceptable gap between the slide and side wall when the slide was retracted. The slide was removed and metal plates were installed above each of the four rollers. I recommend that you have the metal plates installed (while under warranty) to avoid potential problems that will most-likely result from this design defect.
Al Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:40 PM   #18

Phil & Al, thanks for the clarification. Mine as you describe with the roller directly on the bottom of laminate covered slide box. If anyone could send a picture of the correct side application I would appreciate it. That way I can show the service center what SHOULD be the correct installation. I don't have time at this point to drive the 700 miles to Decatur. I guess I should let REV Group warranty center know my concern as well prior to taking it to the dealer/service center.

Al, did you take yours back to Decatur or to a dealer for your work?
Old 05-25-2017, 10:07 PM   #19

Unfortunately I can't provide a picture because my Flair is currently at a service center to correct a problem with the wardrobe slide. It became stuck in the extended position twice, most recently when we were camping this week. I can use an emergency procedure to retract the slide, but it must then be recalibrated by a service technician to restore proper operation. The Power Gear fault code indicated that there was a problem with one of the slide motors. Hopefully, the problem will be properly dealt with this time.

Regarding my “refrigerator” slide, it was repaired at the dealership (RnR RV in Spokane WA) where I bought the coach. They made the repair according to instructions provided by Fleetwood. My coach now has four rollers mounted on the lower framework of the slide opening. Above each roller (where it makes contact with the slide) a metal plate is attached to the bottom of the slide. In other words, the slide rides on rollers in contact with metal plates (the same width as the roller) as it moves in and out. The metal plate is long enough to encompass the length of travel of the slide as it moves. This arrangement corrected the “gap” problem with the slide.

Fleetwood is aware of this problem and has designed a fix for it. Perhaps you could contact them for details on how to correct this design flaw.
Al Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:09 AM   #20

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1224.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	163181

Hey fellas, that is the factory slide ramp. I used two slightly wider stainless steel ramps on the big slide. Can upload a picture if needed.

Not surprised that we all share the same design/workmanship flaws.

When requesting warranty work, be prepared for the well rehearsed company line: "we don't do that with this model".
Old 05-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #21

I just looked at my 2016/15 and my dash is connected directly to the chassis frame via a "V" shaped brace. So, that "dash went boom" issues has been resolved with new engineering.

The wallpaper for a shower enclosure has my attention and I will be keeping an eye on it. Get this; my slide tops are covered with the same material. I know that the slide toppers are keeping the majority of weather from destroying the slides. However, I intend to add real waterproof material up there. In the meantime I will be keeping the slides closed whenever possible during rainy weather.

Overall, we love this rig and see far more adventures and fun times ahead than working on and tweaking minor things.

Heading up to the Lake Superior shoreline next week. Additional trips already booked, though we try not to camp on holiday weekends anymore.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #22

Hey folks, thanks for the pictures and the insights on these items.

We just got back from our first big trip in the 26D (ours is the HR Admiral XE.) to the Keys. We were really pleased with the floor plan and the overall layout. It's exactly what we were looking for. We had 4 or 5 visitors stop and ask about it. Seems a lot of folks are looking to downsize. Small footprint made it much easier pulling into a grocery store parking lot or getting gas. Fuel mileage is about what I expected (7.5 mpg) pulling the car. I know now that the tow/haul has not been programmed correctly, so will be getting it to the Ford shop in the next few weeks to check that and the sway bar bolts. Koni shocks may be in my future too.

I do have an appointment tomorrow at a REV group dealer a couple of hours away from us to correct the slide issue (thanks for the pictures, I have printed it and will take it with me just in case!) It's a Camping World but I think this one still has some of the service staff that were there before and hopefully they'll get the job done. I'm driving past 3 other CW stores to get to this one so hope I'm right.

Another item I noticed that I'll get them to look at as well: I'm not sure the black tank is vented properly. I'm getting that smell anytime the tank is about half full or so. I tried to find exactly where the vent pipe is located but am not quite the contortionist enough to see it. I know where it exits on top but unfortunately that's not where it enters the system.

Thanks again!
Old 06-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
I just looked at my 2016/15 and my dash is connected directly to the chassis frame via a "V" shaped brace. So, that "dash went boom" issues has been resolved with new engineering.
bigcrisp,
the issue is not so much the dash as it is the framing that holds the dash, where the dash connects to the side wall of the coach(which is under the hood both sides). The connection point there is a piece of angle welded to the "V" shaped box steel,on the forward side, they put few tec screws to hold the dash framing to the side wall.At that point the screws shear,mostly because there is not enough screws installed at the factory. I just looked at the 2017 flair and storm, and the lack of screws is still a problem that will arise, just a matter of when. A sign of when the screws are starting to let go is when the entry steps look like they are sagging on the rear side(when retracted). steps are not the issue,as the dropping side wall is making the steps look uneven. Once the front wall is raised and reconnected to firewall framing ,with proper amount of screws, the steps will look even. The op of that thread had encountered the screws shearing after hitting rough road, and when screws sheared made a loud (boom), that is not always the norm as this also could happen slowly without the loud boom, and just be noticed by squeeking and the entry steps looking uneven. another sign is seeing a white area in the wheel well or just forward of it where the undercoating was sprayed and now the area that was behind the framing is now exposed, unsprayed white . the amount of white seen is the amount of drop that has occurred.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #24

10 - 4

Today was oil change day, so I climbed under the motor home to trace the sidewall frame parts and finally had that "aha" moment. Per @rapid rick, sure enough the sidewall frames are being held on by two screws.

I added four additional screws and it appears that the factory might have glued the angle to the sidewall frames -- in addition to the two screws.

This is not an easy repair without the proper tools and being flexible. A repair that should be completed before damage appears, non the less.

Get er done fellas. Don't wait until we can say "told ya so".
Old 09-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
10 - 4

Get er done fellas. Don't wait until we can say "told ya so".

My dash started vibrating more and more on the way home last week. Looked under there when I got home and guess what...yep. Passenger side screws sheared and about 1/2 to 3/4 inch movement as shown by no paint under the bracket.

Called a reputable shop and talked to the owner yesterday. Fortunately he’s familiar with the issue. So as soon as this storm clears out next week it will go in for repair.

With only 10k miles I thought I had a little time on this. So as big crisp says .... get er done.

Sumos all around have to be in my future.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #26

Update: got to the shop and on close inspection the lateral (front to rear) support is separated from the floor beam and the side wall.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:53 PM   #27

Update 2: I went around and around (again) with Fleetwood about the repair. They told me I must take it to an authorized Fleetwood dealer. When I got there they happened to have a used 2016 Tiffin Allegro for sale on their lot. So now I’m a Tiffin owner. I’m betting this one holds together.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:17 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck&Pam View Post
Update 2: I went around and around (again) with Fleetwood about the repair. They told me I must take it to an authorized Fleetwood dealer. When I got there they happened to have a used 2016 Tiffin Allegro for sale on their lot. So now I’m a Tiffin owner. I’m betting this one holds together.
Good choice Prepare to be impressed by difference in quality and attention to detail. Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote