Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #1

Any recommendations on buying 99 bounder 34V

So I am new to the MH community.

Was looking at buying a 99 Fleetwood Bounder that 'appears' to be a good deal. I plan on going to look at it and if looks good I will have a local mechanic check it out as well. I am fairly handy (do my own tune ups and change my own fluids & can fix most items like leaks, electrical, plumbing etc. but major repairs I would be paying for). I'm just assuming it needs new tires and batteries and all fluid changes which I am budgeting $$4000.

Wondering if there are any other specific recommendations i should check for on this unit.

Also if I budget $1000-1500 for insurance for the year am in in the range for this age of unit?

Want to drive it to AZ in Nov. and keep it there for the winter in a park.

Ad Details:

Date Listed 23-Sep-14
Price $10,000.00 AS IS
For Sale By Dealer
Colour Tan
Year 1999
Kilometers 150000
**** Priced for Fall Clear Out *****

$ 10,000.00 Plus HST - AS-IS

Chrysler Dealer

1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34V has a Ford Triton V10 EFI engine. It is a Class A Gas Motorhome. The generator is a Onan Marquis 5500 It has 1 slideout for added comfort and sleeps up to 6 people. This RV has 2 air conditioners and comes with leveling jacks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #2

You are on the right track. Batteries, tires, filters and fluids are a must check and change as needed especially tires. Check the roof and sidewalls for possible water damage. Leave the motor and trans to the mechanic to check. Stove, heaters, refrig may need some work.
Being handy is a real asset.
Good luck.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #3

Welcome to iRV2.

Price seems right , if it checks out, good luck, and see you in AZ.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:21 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maintenance records. Take it for a ride over bumpy roads. Put water in the water tank turn the water pump on make sure the pump does not cycle on and off. If it does there a leak in the system. Check the air conditioners input temp against the output temp. 20 degree temp drop is normal. Check ceiling and around all windows for water leaks. Check refrigerator, have dealer turn it on the day before you check, inside frig around 35 degrees, freezer around zero. Look in outside refrigerator access door. Yellow powder is bad. Look for burn marks, check the power cord. Check the CO/propane/fire alarms. Does the furnace work? Dont forget to check the spare tire. Check toilet for leaks. Check water heater. Check main power cord and sewer hoses. Download a RV checklist. And lots more.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Best of luck in your decision. Due diligence and if it feels good and checks out go for it. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
On a rig that age, you may have greater concerns regarding the roof. At 15 years that roof may be nearing the end of it's life span depending on where it has been and how it has been treated. Where you have roof problems, you will have water problems. Check the roof carefully, also look for any signs of water intrusion. Check the rubber moldings around the windows and see if it is cracked (especially windscreen).
Old 09-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #7

How many miles on this MH, most ads would state that unless it high. Any pictures? Test the slide out, look closely for water damage. Seems like a good price if it all checks out.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
On a rig that age, you may have greater concerns regarding the roof. At 15 years that roof may be nearing the end of it's life span depending on where it has been and how it has been treated. Where you have roof problems, you will have water problems. Check the roof carefully, also look for any signs of water intrusion. Check the rubber moldings around the windows and see if it is cracked (especially windscreen).
In regards to the roof, check to see if it is a rubber or fiberglass roof. If fiberglass, you should be OK.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #9

Thanks for all of the replies and advice on things to check.
I will get an RV checklist as suggested - anyone know a specific one that I shold download?
Sounds like leaks are more of a concern that I expected, are roof/ seal leaks costly to repair or mostly a DIY fix?
It would help to know what climates would be the worst cause of leaks if anyone knows?

The unit has 150,000 KM AKA 93,000 miles - should I be overly concerned about the higher mileage more that I would on a normal vehicle?

Thanks again for all of the great information supplied.

Steve
Old 09-27-2014, 12:38 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedask View Post
Thanks for all of the replies and advice on things to check.
I will get an RV checklist as suggested - anyone know a specific one that I shold download?
Sounds like leaks are more of a concern that I expected, are roof/ seal leaks costly to repair or mostly a DIY fix?
It would help to know what climates would be the worst cause of leaks if anyone knows?

The unit has 150,000 KM AKA 93,000 miles - should I be overly concerned about the higher mileage more that I would on a normal vehicle?

Steve
The problem with leaks is that they can cause a lot of hidden damage. Rot, mold, pretty much the same as in a house. If unchecked, they can result in some very costly damage that can make some things not worth the expense of repairing. The roof is probably rubber with fibreglass endcaps. Can't see it being a fibreglass roof given the age and the fact that the Bounder was typically a more budget minded vehicle though I don't know for sure. As for climate, rainy northwest can be a bear. Lots of rain, heavy rain, high moisture in air and so on. If you are in the desert not so much I guess.

As for the fixing, it really depends. At this age, one needs to play close attention to quality of the rubber. It ages, gets hard and cracks. There is no repairing of that, only replacement. Rubber roofs tend to age out as well. They chalk normally (rub your hand on it like a chalk board) but at a certain point, they need to be replaced. That can be a very pricy item. $10000.00 pricey. Usually not a do yourself job. Discrete jobs can be dyi. Resealing caulking, patching small rips with eternabond tape, it depends on your level of handiness and willingness to learn. There is no shortage of how to's on the internet.

Since you are relatively new to the RV game, it might be worth having it inspected by someone who knows RV's. It might cost you a couple of hundred bucks but it may well be worth it.

As for the engine, it depends on upkeep as much as anything. If it has been well maintained and taken care of, then you probably don't have much to worry about. It seems most threads where mileage on Gassers comes up, most seem to say that they haven't had many problems with mileage even when they are up in the higher ranges.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedask View Post

Steve
Somewhere , here in the forums , is a sticky post , with a pdf file, of a buyers check sheet, I'll track it down and link you to it.
Personally, the current mileage on the coach wouldn't scare me.
It's all about maintenance/ condition at this point.

EDIT: Found the downloadable file in ; of course ; the " Files " section ( blue bar to the right of your " User CP" ) the check list is set out for a pusher , but can be adapted for any MH.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just figured I would chime in on this thread. Its kind of funny actually. I dont know the thread starter gave up on this motor home, or if it was sold before he had a chance to get the checklist done, but either way. I ended up buying it lol.

Like the thread starter, I am handy. I am capable of fixing electrical and plumbing, and minor mechanical stuff.

its a damn good thing too.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/rest...4v-240206.html

this is my thread on what this bounder has had in store for it since I bought it. It shows pics and a complete work (and cost) log.

Inspected the roof a few weeks ago. All is/was well at that time. there were no cracks or tears or other damage.

I realize this thread is dead and buried, just stumbled upon it and wanted to follow up!
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good writeup.

I do very similar, purchased what I call "good bones" and go from there.

Bounder is a higher quality builder and its on a good chassis. Mileage is a little high, but you got a good price.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Good writeup.

I do very similar, purchased what I call "good bones" and go from there.

Bounder is a higher quality builder and its on a good chassis. Mileage is a little high, but you got a good price.
Actually, the milage was misrepresented in the kijiji ad from which that was copied. I bought it at approx 87000 miles, the odometer is now at 90043, and I have owned it since October. I will say however, that this project basically consumes all my spare time, and all those 'little purchases' are adding up quickly. Had I had to pay someone for labour, it is already safe to say that this purchase could not really be justified except to say that the neglected maintenance has/is finally being done.

Of course, there are things which are 'want to do' rather than needed to do, such as the tv, and upholstery, however something has to show darn it! lol.

I agree fully that the bounder is a very resiliant brand. For a coach of its date, it would also have been a fairly fully featured model at that time.

Next spring I have already resolved to installing a banks power pack. I doubt automind would help as I am obd1 not obd2.
superk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder