Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2020, 12:33 PM   #1

Any rodent proof techniques yet? Mice, chipmunks?

Is it as easy as putting all the lights on at night, lowering levelers all the way, crawling under and see where light is coming thru then add steel wool and expanding foam.
Meanwhile make an chiropractor appointment?
Any ideas?
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsportys View Post
Is it as easy as putting all the lights on at night, lowering levelers all the way, crawling under and see where light is coming thru then add steel wool and expanding foam.
Meanwhile make an chiropractor appointment?
Any ideas?

Ps bounder 2014 35k
Old 06-30-2020, 04:41 PM   #3

In our case, the coach is sealed tight. But we caught 6 mice in our coach last winter. First time as full timers in 5 years we had a problem. This is how most likely one pregnant female got in. We had one slide out partially closed in order to clear the AC pedestal to get to our Christmas Decorations in a compartment. That produced a 2-3 inch gap between the wall and the slide out. We kept the slide out gap for about 1 hour...

Then the mouse got into the interior ceiling vents and made a nest. We could hear it and later THEM running around the ceiling. I found the nest and droppings up in the vent channels with my Lizard Cam. What a mess! However no damage done to wiring, etc.

The best method to catch them is to buy 2-3 packs (12 in a pack ACE Hardware) of the glue traps. Bait traps did not work! We plastered the ENTIRE floor edges and counter tops, tables with these glue traps and it was a hassle getting them off your socks but within a week we got rid of them.

At no time did I find ANY trace of dropping anywhere around, under the coach nor in the outside compartments.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5UMC View Post
In our case, the coach is sealed tight. But we caught 6 mice in our coach last winter. First time as full timers in 5 years we had a problem. This is how most likely one pregnant female got in. We had one slide out partially closed in order to clear the AC pedestal to get to our Christmas Decorations in a compartment. That produced a 2-3 inch gap between the wall and the slide out. We kept the slide out gap for about 1 hour...

Then the mouse got into the interior ceiling vents and made a nest. We could hear it and later THEM running around the ceiling. I found the nest and droppings up in the vent channels with my Lizard Cam. What a mess! However no damage done to wiring, etc.

The best method to catch them is to buy 2-3 packs (12 in a pack ACE Hardware) of the glue traps. Bait traps did not work! We plastered the ENTIRE floor edges and counter tops, tables with these glue traps and it was a hassle getting them off your socks but within a week we got rid of them.

At no time did I find ANY trace of dropping anywhere around, under the coach nor in the outside compartments.

Good luck!

Traps usually catch the mice for me. Chipmunks are another thing. There not like mice. YET, what you don’t see but eventually smell is the crap and pee in the carpets after they bring their nuts in.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:20 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mouse Deterrent

Had this problem while caretaking on a ranch. Was suggested to my wife we try dryer sheets. Put one in each outdoor storage compartment, under sinks, in closets etc... Problem solved! Haven't had any type rodent problem yet. Worth a try, worked for us.
GranpaGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
In our prior Bounder, the only thing the mouse did with the dryer sheets was shred them into a nice nest in the bathroom cabinet. So for us, the dryer sheet thing is a myth.

The ONLY proven rodent-ridding method I know if is spelled C-A-T. A hungry, neighborhood feral one to be specific.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:32 AM   #7

Dryer sheets don’t work....plus neither does...

Like the man said, fryer sheets are used to make beds, actual pine bags only enhance a smell in the rv.
I still use ole fashion traps and use fine netting for areas they can get into to access drawers. We live in a forest.
Mice get in chipmunks eating nuts. What you don’t see as said is the poop and pee in the carpets.
Cleaned them
Trying this outside. The bucket of death......5 gallon pail. Old stump right next to pad. 1/2” 6”w x 18” long plank. Fill pail 90% of way up, usually 4-1 gallon tea jugs. I use sunflower seeds a few on plank the rest on top of water they float. 14 so far. I empty bucket every 2-3 days repeat process. This was placed at back of rv
Old 08-15-2020, 08:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
The first to ever invent a 100% effective mouse trap will enjoy great wealth on this earth. We too use the smelliest drier sheets we can find- works reasonably well. Will NOT drive out existing occupants. A couple nights of a hungry cat with all doors and drawers open and then drier sheets has worked for us.

Tags
mice, roof