Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2017, 06:37 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Atwood Heater Systems

Wife and I picked up our new to us 1998 American Dream last Sunday, for the past week I've been trying to figure out how stuff works and making some progress. The water heater wouldn't start, so I started tracking down what's up there and found this wiring mess on the backside of the unit. And yes, the circuit breaker was still live.

So, for now I've got the breaker off and planning on rewiring this mess, it's got me wondering why they only had the circuit breaker controlling the AC part of the heater? You'd think AC would have at least put a relay and another switch somewhere - maybe they did on newer Coaches?

Any of you added a temperature controller or other method to actually use the AC Heater?

I figured out the gas side just had air in the system, so thankfully that part doesn't need reworked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterheaterwiring.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	159885  
idoxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #2
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Welcome and good luck on your dream

I have a 97 Dream

This link might help you.

Replace old Atwood water heater with a new one

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
I see Atwood made some changes to the controls system, thanks for the info.

For now I'm going to keep the old unit, just get the 110 side up and running. I'll do some testing to see if the element is ok and thermostat functions. Like you did I'll probably rig up a switch somewhere to manually turn it on under the sink with a light to show it's running.

I saw the access hole you had to put in - yours doesn't have a removable panel at the rear of the unit? I have a panel held in with 4 screws, you might look?
Old 04-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
There is no access panel in my unit. The small panel on the side was from the factory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Must be something they added in the 98'. Does your coach have a door there under the sink?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:52 PM   #6
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
My heater is not under the sink, this is my floor plan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
That's a lot different floor plan than mine. Interesting, I figured they were all about the same.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #8

IF your Dream is like my Eagle , there should be a standard 120 switch to the left of the vanity mirror in the bathroom.

This is your switch to turn the electric side of the unit on and off....not the circuit breaker itself.

If you are having problems with the propane side, it is likely the igniter board that is the issue, a new one with lifetime warranty is available from Dinosaur Boards.

Enjoy your Dream!
Old 04-30-2017, 03:19 PM   #9

Hoping someone can help me with a related issue. In normal day to day operation should the bypass lever for the water heater be in the upright position? I noticed when I drained all the water from my R.V. there was warm water in the cold. It's a 1999 American Tradition. TIA
vetteandharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #10
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteandharl View Post
Hoping someone can help me with a related issue. In normal day to day operation should the bypass lever for the water heater be in the upright position? I noticed when I drained all the water from my R.V. there was warm water in the cold. It's a 1999 American Tradition. TIA
It should be in the non bypass position. I do not know if that is up or across. The only time you would be in the bypass position is when you are winterizing and the drain plug is out of the tank.

Take a look at my thread, there is lots of good information there, the first post has an index to all the posts and their subjects.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-30-2017, 08:21 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
IF your Dream is like my Eagle , there should be a standard 120 switch to the left of the vanity mirror in the bathroom.

This is your switch to turn the electric side of the unit on and off....not the circuit breaker itself.

If you are having problems with the propane side, it is likely the igniter board that is the issue, a new one with lifetime warranty is available from Dinosaur Boards.

Enjoy your Dream!
Thanks - I was told that switch was the propane side, but you're right. I checked it today and indeed it does control the electric side of the hot water heater. Redid the wiring and got it back up and running today, everything is functioning again!
Old 04-30-2017, 09:19 PM   #12

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.
Does anyone know why the pex lines go down to the floor and back up on the left side in the photo above?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #13

Spartan Chassis
The hoses that run straight up are going to the bathroom sink - hot & cold. Valve on the left is the diverter valve.

Tags
atwood, ems, heat, heater