Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #1

Atwood Hotwater Heater Removal '06 Fleetwood Discovery

Last year the mixing valve for my Atwood hotwater heater was acting up so I believe once I charge everything up after being winterized and get the hotwater heater going I'm sure it will still be a problem.

I think the problem is the mixing valve which would be the 3rd time! Being my dealer is an hour and a half away I was wondering if it would make more sense to just bring the hotwater heater itself to the dealer to have the valve replaced.

Has anyone every removed a hotwater heater before? Curious as to how difficult it is. I have an '06 Fleetwood Discovery.

Also wondering if a local plumber could do the repair if I just order the new mixing valve.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Those valves were a problem if atwood could send you the valve then you could do it your self. If you want to go through the removeal of the heater you have to unhook the water lines, disconnect the power 120V and 12V wires, remove all the screws on the outside and pry the heater loose putty tape will be holding it in place. after it's fixed then clean the putty tape off and reapply on the heater and reverse the proccess or just take it in.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #3

I have cleaned the valve myself the last two times. All you have to do is unscrew it from the back of the water heater and pick the crap out with a paper clip or something. You can usually access the back of the water heater from the closet. If you are planning to take the heater out yourself, you can easily do the repair yourself. Takes 30 minutes the second time. First time takes a lot longer. Make sure you take a picture of the valve in position. It is possible to put it on backwards. (hmm)
Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #4

All:

I appreciate the feedback.

pcurt 23 do you think it's worth while trying to clean out the mixing valve first before I spend $140 on a new one? Sounds like you were successful.

As for symptoms, I get warm water in my bedroom sink, bathroom sink and kitchen sink (all on passenger side) but I get cold water in the shower. When I open bedroom sink hotwater and let it run I do get somewhat warm water in the shower but that's it. I've checked everything else, outside faucet etc. and have found no other possible problems.

Thanks for everyone's comments and assistance.

Mike
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's that mixing valve I would try to clean it out first insted of shelling out $$140
Old 03-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Here is a past thread re: cleaning the valve.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/clea...ves-86439.html
Hope this helps.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #7

It is a very easy repair. Make sure the hot water is off and you drain the hot water tank (although the last time I did this was 5 weeks ago and I shut off the water heater and waited for an hour then shoved a towel down by the hoses to catch the water) My first repair lasted 3 years.
1. shut off water heater
2. shut off water
3. open faucet to relieve pressure
4. gain access to rear of water heater.
5. Take picture of connection
6. remove water hoses from valve (pliers) Stuff towel into area to catch water. Listen to DW yell about towel
7. remove valve (large pliers) or I stuck the handle of the pliers into the valve opening and loosened it.
8. remove valve and pick the crud from the valve.
9. put it back together (used Teflon tape the first time not the second)
10. turn on water check for leaks. water heater on. check for leaks.
11. have a beer.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Now thats a detailed list on how to fix it I like the No.11 step !!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #9

I removed mine and cleaned it and made it adjustable while I had it out very simple. I would replace the hoses with braided ones which you can get a home depot just to save the chance of it leaking like mine did.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
Last year the mixing valve for my Atwood hotwater heater was acting up so I believe once I charge everything up after being winterized and get the hotwater heater going I'm sure it will still be a problem.

I think the problem is the mixing valve which would be the 3rd time! Being my dealer is an hour and a half away I was wondering if it would make more sense to just bring the hotwater heater itself to the dealer to have the valve replaced.

Has anyone every removed a hotwater heater before? Curious as to how difficult it is. I have an '06 Fleetwood Discovery.

Also wondering if a local plumber could do the repair if I just order the new mixing valve.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
mike i have a 2005 fleet wood probably same as yours,
to remove no big deal
first on the outside remove mounting screws
than turn off your propane to the whole unit at the switch by the refill
than disconnect your propane line to heater
than go inside and pull out your drawers by closet and you will see the hot and cold water lines,you can disconnect these by hand
turn water pump off before disconnect,
than drain your tank from outside
pull your tank out from the outside
the electrical hook up will only allow you tp pull it outbefore so far,but enough excess to anything.
before you do this,explain to me what you are trying to do .
what do you mean by mixing valve?
the valve at your

is a bypass valve used only to winterize

anyways good luck
if you need further help email me rolandh@mts.net
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
If push comes to shove , Just replace the mixing valve with a elbow .

Tags
atwood, heater, removal