Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2016, 12:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Posting back with new info. The gears on top of the motor are striped. Waiting on new motor w/gears to come in.

Lori-
After replacing two motor/clutch assemblies as well as the gears one the left rear AND I also had the rear jack "jackscrew plates tack welded. Now the jacks are currently 100% and MUCH safer!

Levelegs are a pain but if treated right "should" work for a couple more years (fingers Crossed) I really miss my hydraulic HWH jacks I had on my 93 Pace Arrow Diesel Pusher.

RM
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I do think we've been lucky. I've read of others who've had multiple issues, some having to fully replace, with the Atwood system. This is our 1st major issue on a 10 yo system.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I do think we've been lucky. I've read of others who've had multiple issues, some having to fully replace, with the Atwood system. This is our 1st major issue on a 10 yo system.

Lori-
9 year old coach on this end with Levelegs. Already rebuilt/welded the rear jacks. Just yesterday the Rt. front just popped when I last leveled. Looks like it's time to work on the forward jacks!

RM
Old 04-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #18

I had to weld both front jacks because the shear pins kept breaking. Fingers are crossed for a few more years out of them. They still act up every now and then with the controller needing to be reset to get them working again.
EasyPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:48 PM   #19

Excuse my stupidity but how did welding help the shear pins from breaking.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:53 AM   #20

The shear pins would snap upon leg retraction, so after replacing the shear pins twice, my RV tech said that the only recourse was to weld the shaft to the motor. This could damage the motor gears if something should go wrong but the extra strength of the weld seems to allow the controller to receive the extra electrical load and shut down the jack. My jacks are the old version that do not have an auto shutoff and rely on the controller to sense the extra load and shut down the retraction. It may be just a bandaid until the day comes that they need to be replaced with the newer version, but everyday that I save the $1200 per Jack is a good day.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #21

Ok, thank you. Now another stupid question, how do you determine if you have the older or newer version?
Old 04-20-2016, 01:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Ok, thank you. Now another stupid question, how do you determine if you have the older or newer version?
The first revision the controller monitored the load on each motor. The 2nd revision Atwood added encoders to the motor/clutch assembly. So, if you see just a pair of wires to the motors you have the early version. If you see a 2nd pair of wires attached to the motor/clutch assembly then you have the 2nd revision jacks.

I have the 1st revision. When I replaced the motor/clutch assemblies on the rear jacks (10K) they had the encoders but I did not use them.

Welding the gears sounds a tad over the top to me! I have NEVER had any shear pins fail.

I just tore down & reassembled my right front jack (7.5K). While leveling I thought I herd a pop when the red led started flashing for the right front jack. I thought for sure something went south on the jack! All looked good so I greased her up & she's 100%.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
The first revision the controller monitored the load on each motor. The 2nd revision Atwood added encoders to the motor/clutch assembly. So, if you see just a pair of wires to the motors you have the early version. If you see a 2nd pair of wires attached to the motor/clutch assembly then you have the 2nd revision jacks.

I have the 1st revision. When I replaced the motor/clutch assemblies on the rear jacks (10K) they had the encoders but I did not use them.

Welding the gears sounds a tad over the top to me! I have NEVER had any shear pins fail.

I just tore down & reassembled my right front jack (7.5K). While leveling I thought I herd a pop when the red led started flashing for the right front jack. I thought for sure something went south on the jack! All looked good so I greased her up & she's 100%.

Ok so you can replace a first revision jack, which I have, with a second revision- just do not use the encoders?
Old 04-22-2016, 08:02 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I've been having trouble with the right front retracting. Gathering data to replace: Newmar new $950. Internet website used California$500, no warranty. Colaw Salvage Carthage MO. $ 350 six month warranty

'07 Motorhome
Old 04-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #25

The way I understand it, you can replace the older version with the newer version of the jacks. The major difference is that the new version has the ability to sense when the jack is fully retracted without the help of the controller. In other words the jack itself knows when to stop, instead of the controller trying to sense the motor overload when the jack reaches the top. It should be a much more reliable system.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Have posted a couple of times about trouble retracting my right front Leveleg. I am happy to report, that after contacting Atwood and speaking to a tech, who recommends I "reboot" the controller and each leg. While over a pit I had the 6 wire cable and the 12 volt power supply cables disconnected for a few minutes.

It worked! The entire systems seems to work better, it certainly sounds different, but it worked.

With that said, I have a question: the street in front of the S&B is sloped, does this impact the functionality and reliability of the system? Front to back slope down 1.8 degrees..... Right down to left .7 degrees.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Have posted a couple of times about trouble retracting my right front Leveleg. I am happy to report, that after contacting Atwood and speaking to a tech, who recommends I "reboot" the controller and each leg. While over a pit I had the 6 wire cable and the 12 volt power supply cables disconnected for a few minutes.

It worked! The entire systems seems to work better, it certainly sounds different, but it worked.

With that said, I have a question: the street in front of the S&B is sloped, does this impact the functionality and reliability of the system? Front to back slope down 1.8 degrees..... Right down to left .7 degrees.
Be REAL CAREFUL with those jacks! I'll level the coach using blocks then I'll level using the jacks. The jacks will start giving you problems if you overwork them! I don't suggest you use them to lift the rig off the ground. e.g. tire change.

I really miss my HWH hydraulic jacks but I have learned to deal with the Levelegs. As stated earlier, I'm going to thoroughly document the work I have done on those jacks & post detailed PICS on my web site.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:37 AM   #28

Well, after sitting idle for a month, I fired up my 2005 Pace Arrow and moved it to it's de-winterizing location. Turned on the levelleg controller and tried to auto extend the jacks. The alarm sounded and the red and green LEDs started flashing indicating a failure of the from left jack. I tried the reset procedure several times, and no change. What a way to start the season!

I disconnected the wire to the from jack motor, spayed a little WD-40 on the connector gave everything a good shake, and reattached the motor. Fired up the motorhome and still no change. Another couple of reset attempts, retract all. No change.

I decided to try a step that I read somewhere: Disconnect the wire to the offending jack motor. Re-start the motorhome and do a reset by pressing the offending pair of facts and the retract button simultaneously, followed by a retract all. Shut down the motorhome. re-connect the offending jack motor and turn the screw on the bottom of the motor several times. This turns the motor's armature.
Restart the motorhome, turn on the jacks and perform a retract All.
IT WORKED! All of the jacks retracted, I then hit the Auto button and off it went and levelled the motorhome perfectly.
I can only conclude that there is a dead spot, or maybe dirty spot on the motor, and spinning the screw moved it off of the dead spot.
Anyway, one more troubleshooting process to put in your back pocket in case you are in the same situation some time.

Tags
atwood