Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Level only for the Fridge? If my RV is not level (or close to it) the doors don't operate properly and the slides are iffy.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot
Level only for the Fridge? If my RV is not level (or close to it) the doors don't operate properly and the slides are iffy.
And rolling out of bed. Lol. But for sure - slides are heavy and my instructions indicate - dump air - level - and then extend slides. Can't say for certain - but think my refrigerator might actually be more forgiving of a little off center than my slides. I'm more concerned for the slides and structure than the refrigerator (it will let me know if it's not happy in short order).
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Walter View Post
Let start from the begining, first of all the jacks are for you to level your Fridg. you don't need to level for any other reasion.
For first time owners, put a small level (a round buble one is best) put it inside of your Fridg up in the freezer area on a flat surface, then use your level systen to level it and check the buble off and on untill it is level then when it's level in the Fridg. move the level to a place in your galley where it will be level.
Remember where you put it to show the Rig is level.
That way each time you want to level it you put the buble in the same area and let the driver work the jacks for you to read the buble.
The only reasion for leveling the Rig is for the Fridg.
There is no reasion to raise the Rig up off the ground.
Just a thought.
Sorry, but I disagree that the only reason for leveling is the fridge. First and foremost (to me) is to be level before extending the slides. Second consideration is personal comfort...I don't like walking downhill in the kitchen or having my drink slide off of the table.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very interesting discussion now - a bit different then the original question. I just started laughing as I remebered something very interesting. When I got back from that first trip, I had a short list for the dealer to wrok on. One of the questions had to do with the auto levelers. When I picked it up, they sid they had checked the calibration and mentioned that you auto-level to the fridge and all checked out fine. Never thought a lot more about it - but the fridge is in the slide! You auto level to it & then you move it - out and down. HHHHMMMMM!
wepinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #19
Dik

Hey Guy's, I just happened on as I was looking for some info on my door awning. I have some trouble with the auto level in my 38' Bounder. It seems to try to level but my understanding is it goes back to the last time you leveled it which is not always right. How do I set the auto level? I have an Atwood system and sheared a pin one time when I reversed it while it was extending. Jack slid out of housing. Thanks for a great forum..................Dik
Dik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
well, I am finally comfortable with the leveling - learned something new now that I have been traveling in it a bit - the power gear levelers will not lift the back wheels off the ground - makes sense but I am glad to know!
wepinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #21

I always cheat when leveling, to ensure that the head of the bed is slightly higher than the foot. This helps prevent headaches upon waking. I have never worried about the refreigerator, especially considering that it functions all day long while driving up hills and down with no problem.
I have the HWH kickdown wich can easily lift the front tires off the ground. If the leveling requirements force the front wheels off, I personalluy have no concern.
My jacks will not raise the rear tires off the ground. I agree with others, that raising the rear off the ground would not be stable or safe.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We just bought our 2006 Bounder 32W and found that the slides will not operate if it is not level.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #23

Picked up our new bounder 35K a week ago. First thing I noticed when going to the walk through was the tech had it levelled with the front wheels 8-10 inches off the ground. When I asked if that was OK to do he said yes, no problem. I am glad I joined here. I am loving all the information I am soaking up!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think View Post
Picked up our new bounder 35K a week ago. First thing I noticed when going to the walk through was the tech had it levelled with the front wheels 8-10 inches off the ground. When I asked if that was OK to do he said yes, no problem. I am glad I joined here. I am loving all the information I am soaking up!
Howdy and welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your Bounder as much as we do ours. Make sure you read the manuals for all your RV systems; that's where you'll find the info specific to your motorhome.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #25

@SarahW,
Sarah - Curious as to why the auto level doesnt suit your needs. What system do you have? I hit auto level and it gets it right, every time. It does a great job of levelling as low as possible (which is low after air bags dump). I absolutely LOVE the auto feature.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #26

I use wood blocks 12"x12"x1". I have at least 8 of them. Typically use 2 blocks under each of the two front jack pads. Sometimes use other blocks to build a ramp
to access site and place 1 or two blocks under each front tire rather than stacking
more boards under the two front jacks.
When using Auto level system, you can feel in the drivers seat if your front tires are off of the ground by simply very lightly turning your steering wheel. DO NOT jack so high that your front tires leave the ground. I would never ever jack the rear tires off of the ground.
I find that my shower door tells me if the coach is relatively level. If it is hard to open or close, the coach is not level. The most important reason for leveling is to
insure that the refrigerator freezer is level. You could also place a glass measuring
cup filled with water on the counter by your range top that would show the level
of the coach and in what direction you need to adjust your jacks to achieve approximate level.
RogS-PAro37C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #27

My auto leveling system is not working properly on my (new to me) 2005 Discovery.

Found this:

http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/82-L0317-T.pdf

Hope this helps.
TERun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, safety