RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #1

Automatic Transfer Switch - Generator

Looking for some answers. Im a novice when it comes to the electrical piece of owning an RV but learning quickly. My wife and I own a Fleetwood Bounder 36X. I recently started the generator to run for an hour or so and pull a load, I do this about every 4 - 6 weeks. The generator runs fine but isnt providing power to the coach. I notice the relay switch in the auto transfer switch isnt engaging so I took a meter to it to see if there was power from the generator coming in the ATS and there is not. It runs fine on shore power and all breakers work fine. The charger/ converter seems to be working fine when the generator is on, it's just not engaging the ATS to provide power to the coach. Hate to take it in if it's something simple (I'm hoping) I can fix on my own. Thanks in advance...Wayne & Lisa
Bennetts36X is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 12:39 PM   #2

Have you checked the circuit breakers ON the generator?

You stated no power from gen coming into the ATS/........so that suggests Gen may be running but NOT putting power out due to tripped CBs on gen

The charger/converter can NOT be working cause it needs AC Power in to produce DC out
Gen NOT supply power then NO AC in to converter or anything else in Main Power Panel.

Generator CBs???
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Have you checked the circuit breakers ON the generator?

You stated no power from gen coming into the ATS/........so that suggests Gen may be running but NOT putting power out due to tripped CBs on gen

The charger/converter can NOT be working cause it needs AC Power in to produce DC out
Gen NOT supply power then NO AC in to converter or anything else in Main Power Panel.

Generator CBs???
Thx for your reply. Yes there are 2 breakers on the front of the generator that are both on. Ive flipped them on and off numerous times. I also checked the relay in the ATS to see if it was stuck but it moves freely. I did this with all power cut off.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #4

Measuring at the transfer switch, run the generator and see if 120 volts is getting to the generator terminals. If its a50 amp RV, should be 2 black and 2 white wires coming from it. Both need to read 120 volts.

If not, look for wiring issues near the generator or a generator issue.

If you have 120 volt power between both black lines and the white wires coming from the generator, its probably the transfer switch.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Said you checked and had power into the transfer switch from the generator. But, unless I overlooked, i didn't see where you checked the output of the transfer switch. That will tell you if the transfer switch is the problem.

Be sure both legs are active in and out. Try it with shore power disconnected.

If output is ok, the power typically lands next to mb the 50a main breaker. Check voltage there.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:05 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generator Plug?

I'm not familiar with the Bounder but on my Fleetwood Fiesta there is a plug inside the compartment where I coil my shore power cord when driving.

I have to plug my shore power cord into that plug for the generator to power the coach.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Measuring at the transfer switch, run the generator and see if 120 volts is getting to the generator terminals. If its a50 amp RV, should be 2 black and 2 white wires coming from it. Both need to read 120 volts.

If not, look for wiring issues near the generator or a generator issue.

If you have 120 volt power between both black lines and the white wires coming from the generator, its probably the transfer switch.
Thx for response. I actually put the meter on incoming and outgoing of from generator to ATS and there is no power at all.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNJanet View Post
I'm not familiar with the Bounder but on my Fleetwood Fiesta there is a plug inside the compartment where I coil my shore power cord when driving.

I have to plug my shore power cord into that plug for the generator to power the coach.
Thank you for reply and suggestion. My generator and shore power run directly to the ATS and there is no plug.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Said you checked and had power into the transfer switch from the generator. But, unless I overlooked, i didn't see where you checked the output of the transfer switch. That will tell you if the transfer switch is the problem.

Be sure both legs are active in and out. Try it with shore power disconnected.

If output is ok, the power typically lands next to mb the 50a main breaker. Check voltage there.
Thanks for response. I actually put meter on both incoming and outgoing of generator to ATS, registers no power at all. The relay of the ATS for the generator moves freely, checked it when all power was disconnected. Safe to assume its a generator problem at this point?
Old 09-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #10

If your at the " Generator to MH " junction box, near the generator and there is no power, its the generator breakers, wiring or actual generator.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #11

grom your description and the testing you have done it sure sounds like there is not generator produced power getting to the transfer switch. are you sure the input leads you tested on the transfer switch were the generator ones?

you have flipped and reset the generator circuit breakers several time with no results.

by any chance is the generator flashing any error codes?

other than a wire that has come loose between the generator and the transfer switch it seems to be an issue with the generator.

you didn't say the make / model / year of the rv and generator not the type of generator. the good news is that if it is a new onan generator they have a full 2 year warranty. if this applies to you they might be a resource.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:14 PM   #12

It's likely the voltage regulator if the genset is running and no power is being produced. Just my guess from the info provided. Not too hard to replace yourself, depending on access.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennetts36X View Post
Looking for some answers. Im a novice when it comes to the electrical piece of owning an RV but learning quickly. My wife and I own a Fleetwood Bounder 36X. I recently started the generator to run for an hour or so and pull a load, I do this about every 4 - 6 weeks. The generator runs fine but isnt providing power to the coach. I notice the relay switch in the auto transfer switch isnt engaging so I took a meter to it to see if there was power from the generator coming in the ATS and there is not. It runs fine on shore power and all breakers work fine. The charger/ converter seems to be working fine when the generator is on, it's just not engaging the ATS to provide power to the coach. Hate to take it in if it's something simple (I'm hoping) I can fix on my own. Thanks in advance...Wayne & Lisa
Thank you to all that responded. Love this forum...I was able to identify the problem. While checking connections in the junction box between generator and ATS I was able to determine that one of the wire nutes had worked itself loose, tightened the wire nut with a bigger one, added some electrical tape, working like it was new again...thankful it wasnt a costly repair.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:41 AM   #14

i'm glad you were able to find it and repair it. kudos!
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, switch, transfer switch