Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #1

Aux Batteries

Our 2002 Pace Arrow 37A auxillary batteries aren't charging from the shore cord. They went dead about a week and I can't seem to get them charged back up. They show about 4.2 volts on the test switch. Sounds like it may be the converter or a fuse. Anyone know where the converter is located or which fuse it may be. I looked at the fuses and couldn't determine which one it was. Are there other possible solutions?
Ewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like time to visit your local Costco, or Sam's club and check out their battery prices.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #3

I had thought it may be the batteries but I didn't want to get batteries then soneone say I had this problem before and it was the fuse dummy. Thanks, Ewell.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Hey Ewell,

I am with wa8yxm.
Have you tested your batteries?????
If your cell plates have no water at the top of the plate or if this has happened in the past then they usually are toast. Don't put a new 6V battery in with an old one. new will be old in no time.

Steve
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was looking for information about my coach batteries when I came across this thread.
I have an 07' Bounder. I installed new coach batts (2-6 volts) in January. I check them every 2 weeks & run the gen once a week for about an hour. The past week or so I've gone out to clean & futz around several times. Each time I had to start the MH and then start the gen because the batts were low. I checked the volts right after shut down of the gen (MH off) & the volts steadily dropped from 13+ to about 11. Any ideas where to start? My knowledge of this area of operation could fit inside a thimble! Thanks
garyricc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It sure sounds like the converter/charger is not putting any voltage onto the batteries. When plugged to shore power, you should see 13+ volts at the battery even if they are toast. You may need new batteries too, especially if they are the originals.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #7

Gary, the indicator does reflect 13.5+ volts when it is plugged in to shore power. I imagine the converter is putting the correct voltage to the batteries however they are just not charging. May be too old and just bad.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can use a smart charger or other automatic charger to try and bring them back up... If they come up, then it's the converter.

However... Garyricc's case.. A lot depends on two things, 1: What make and model converter you have and 2: How long you charge.

Some math...

A pair of U-2200's (GC-2, T-105, US-2200) golf car batteries is about 220 amp hours (Exact capacity depends on brand or who's rating them)

A pair of Group 29's about the same.

Let's use 200 amp hours just to make the math rounder.

Now, if the voltage is that low you are basically at single digit percentage charge so we might as well round it to zero.

If you have a 35 amp converter: (Other than a Magnetek, more on that later) then it's going to take a while,, Let's see 5*35= 175,, close enough, 5 hours to get to 90 percent, But wait, there is more.. As the charge builds the charge rate drops, so it might be 8 hours to 90 percent, and another 3-4 hours to top it off. (The last 10 % or so is very slow)

A magnetek 6300, even if it's like a 6345,, (45 amp) could provide 45 amps to LOADS but only a few amps to battery charging (It will take DAYS to get to 90 percent)

OF course if you have the proper size converter (Say a Progressive Dynamics 9260, 60 amp, 3-stage) then you are around 4 hours to 90 percent and 4 more to full.

How long did you charge them?

Now, the other thing, at that resting voltage.. bad things ARE happening to the batteries.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since both posters here have Fleetwood coaches (Bounder and pace) my suggestions will address both.

First, make sure your battery Disconnect switch, for the aux/house batteries is in the USE, or ON, position.

Second, both of your coaches use the RV Custom products (or Intellitec) Battery Control Center. Inside the BCC (the black box located, usually under the hood, on the firewall just in front of the drivers seat position) are two manually resettable DC circuit breakers that connect the house batteries to the output of the converter. If these breakers are tripped, the house batteries will not charge from the converter, nor will they feed the house lights and generator start circuits.

Print this document http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15918372/BCC%20Package.pdf for trouble shooting procedures and diagrams of the BCC.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
wa8yxm,

Good analysis and clear as good crystal.

loulong,

2006 and up have the Intellitec BCC in the basement storage under driver's seat, shared with LP tank.
It's accompanied by Intellitec 50amp transfer relay and Wifco 65amp power converter/charger.

Thanks for the info guys,

Steve
Old 04-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Correction:

My Bounder Buddy cliff reminded me that the BCC is under passenger's seat, shared with LP tank.
Not under driver's.

Thanks again Cliff

Steve
Old 04-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
2006 and up have the Intellitec BCC in the basement storage under driver's seat, shared with LP tank.
It's accompanied by Intellitec 50amp transfer relay and Wifco 65amp power converter/charger.
Steve
Steve, would this be the Diesel, or Gas models? or both?.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For the General.. I too have an intelletec BCC very good device save for one part and that can fix itself when it goes bad if you know how (I might add, at one time I'd had ONE success using that fix-it method.. that was it, I now have two)

However it's not the converter... On my coach that's a PDI 9180 with wizard.

And for the O/P, if he has a converter issue, we need to know what converter.

NOTE: If, (And I stress IF) both 120 volt breakers and 12 volt fuses hide behind the same door..... Please give us any make/model information on (Or assoicated with) that door.. That is very likely where the converter hides.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
Steve, would this be the Diesel, or Gas models? or both?.
Lou,

I can only speak for the gas.

Steve