Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2021, 05:40 PM   #1

Awning wiring

2017 Bounder 35K I think it's a Latitude awning from Carefree of Colorado. I have only used the awning once for 10-15 minutes as the wind was howling at 2-4MPH and the sensor shuts it up in a very dramatic fashion.
I am wanting to order a different motion sensor and also replace the melted LED light strip. I am thinking the information plate is on the roller tube and i have to have it extended fully to read it. But not sure. Carefree does not contact me back.

Also, does anyone know where the power source is for the awning? I'd like to install a power off switch for it. Nothing is marked on my coach as far as relays, breakers, fuses etc.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2021, 07:23 AM   #2

I think the '17 has the same awning as the '16. I know they changed the model in later years but I don't think in '17.
Mine is a Carefree of Colorado Freestyle (wall mount).
You also have (to the best of my knowledge) the Illumaplex system(with the remote type wall switches) where the awning is controlled by those switches.
The "actual" power can be disconnected via a fuse inside the BCC. Should be labeled F20.
I don't think you can replace it with a separate switch easily.
They do have a less sensitive motion sensor (not a wind sensor actually) but it is an older one that actually decreases other functionality. I tried it out but did not like it and put the original one back. The original one usually closes with the wind around 12 MPH for me. The other one they sent me was closer to 20 MPH but I did not feel comfortable that it would close without the possibility of it ripping off the the side of the RV.
If the LEDs stopped working (or some of them) contact Carefree and they used to send a new set as they had a defective batch (at least they did for me and others a few years ago).
Old 07-12-2021, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I think the '17 has the same awning as the '16. I know they changed the model in later years but I don't think in '17.
Mine is a Carefree of Colorado Freestyle (wall mount).
You also have (to the best of my knowledge) the Illumaplex system(with the remote type wall switches) where the awning is controlled by those switches.
The "actual" power can be disconnected via a fuse inside the BCC. Should be labeled F20.
I don't think you can replace it with a separate switch easily.
They do have a less sensitive motion sensor (not a wind sensor actually) but it is an older one that actually decreases other functionality. I tried it out but did not like it and put the original one back. The original one usually closes with the wind around 12 MPH for me. The other one they sent me was closer to 20 MPH but I did not feel comfortable that it would close without the possibility of it ripping off the the side of the RV.
If the LEDs stopped working (or some of them) contact Carefree and they used to send a new set as they had a defective batch (at least they did for me and others a few years ago).

Thank you sir.

My awning is one of those with the 3 arms that open up laterally. The whole awning is attached at the top to the MH and there are no support struts etc. According to some info I got off the Carefree site it says to disconnect the power before working on it as working on it will activate the motion sensor.

The F20 fuse in the BCC is great info. Hopefully that will cut the power. Thank you for this. I was going to just start the process of elimination this week to find the power source and its like 108!

I've contacted Carefree a couple times but get no info back. If the info I get off their website is correct the model # and serial # is on the awning tube and you can see it once fully extended. I need to pull out in the driveway to fully extend it.

Thank again Computerguy. You are always full of info.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #4

I have the same overly sensitive awning on my 2017 Bounder 33C. If a cricket so much as farts it will retract itself back to safety. I think I will try pulling the fuse and running a tie down strap from each corner down to something heavy in an effort to secure it.
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2016 Wrangler 4 door
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
Thank you sir.

My awning is one of those with the 3 arms that open up laterally. The whole awning is attached at the top to the MH and there are no support struts etc. According to some info I got off the Carefree site it says to disconnect the power before working on it as working on it will activate the motion sensor.

The F20 fuse in the BCC is great info. Hopefully that will cut the power. Thank you for this. I was going to just start the process of elimination this week to find the power source and its like 108!

I've contacted Carefree a couple times but get no info back. If the info I get off their website is correct the model # and serial # is on the awning tube and you can see it once fully extended. I need to pull out in the driveway to fully extend it.

Thank again Computerguy. You are always full of info.
I have carefree awning on my motor home 24’ leisure Travel Van, the rear bracket held by 2 screws came loose from the motor home wall about half an inch . I noticed it when I extended the awning and it will not extract their is power to the motor and I hear the relay. Please help.
Mgtv53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #6

I will never buy another RV that has a Carefree Freedom awning.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
I have the same overly sensitive awning on my 2017 Bounder 33C. If a cricket so much as farts it will retract itself back to safety. I think I will try pulling the fuse and running a tie down strap from each corner down to something heavy in an effort to secure it.

If you go to their website you'll find they have some adjustable arms that fit the ends of the awning and extend to the ground and have tie down straps.

https://youtu.be/xduuJmF2f28
Old 07-12-2021, 03:39 PM   #8

I looked up that stabilizer kit.... $127 on their website. I'm thinking about it.
https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/c...2&pp=24&sst=hd
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2016 Wrangler 4 door
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgtv53 View Post
I have carefree awning on my motor home 24’ leisure Travel Van, the rear bracket held by 2 screws came loose from the motor home wall about half an inch . I noticed it when I extended the awning and it will not extract their is power to the motor and I hear the relay. Please help.
Emailed LTV about the awning separating from the wall , emailed back to drive bolts from the outside into the bracket to the fiberglass no details if there is stud behinds the awning ,does anyone had this problem. Motor home 2014 on sprinter Mercedes.(hopefully I get more information)
Mgtv53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #10

So I looked in the Battery control box and found a green wire labeled “Awning” at pin 16 I think. Pulled the wire, awning no works. Great place to wire in a switch.

Carefree contacted me back and said they now use a Bluetooth sensor that you can control the sensitivity of motion, open close the awning, turn on and off and dim the lights. LOL. $150 for the sensor and $75 to ship. Not sure I’m ready for that jump.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #11

Here is the Bluetooth sensor.

Still not sure what awning I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	361E509A-3DF3-437F-9404-9DEA1555C866.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	666.0 KB
ID:	335820  
Old 07-13-2021, 12:24 PM   #12

Until proven otherwise I think you have the same as mine.
I do not think that BT module will be fully functional with the Illumaplex wiring in your RV. You might be able to adjust the sensitivity but I think that is all. The functionality (in/out/Lights/ are all controlled via the Illumaplex. I do NOT believe it is compatible with the BT module. Make sure you tell Carefree you have a Fleetwood with custom wiring and you do NOT have a switch from Carefree controlling the awning or lights.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Until proven otherwise I think you have the same as mine.
I do not think that BT module will be fully functional with the Illumaplex wiring in your RV. You might be able to adjust the sensitivity but I think that is all. The functionality (in/out/Lights/ are all controlled via the Illumaplex. I do NOT believe it is compatible with the BT module. Make sure you tell Carefree you have a Fleetwood with custom wiring and you do NOT have a switch from Carefree controlling the awning or lights.

Agreed. I am fairly certain my awning is the latitude not the freestyle. According to the gal from Carefree the Bluetooth is the way to go. On there website all indications are these systems should have a power switch. Power off while on the road.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #14

Regardless of which armless Carefree awning you do have the BT module is still not fully compatible with the 2016 and newer Bounders (or other FW products)with the Illumaplex wiring system. There is no on/off switch for the awning.
The "on/off" switch with the Illumiplex system is a neutral safety switch. If your awning is out and you shift out of neutral the awning should automagically come in. Feel free to try it. It does on mine. Don't believe the Carefree gal. It wasn't installed by Carefree. Fleetwood did. Give FW a call if you don't believe me.

Tags
awning, wiring