Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2017, 09:01 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Backup Cameras and wire routing

Last night I finished up the replacement of our rear back up camera replacement and new monitor. Unfortunately I learned after spending hours working on this that the original Sony cable is bad. So going to need to run a new cable from up front to the rear cap. Has anyone ran a cable down inside the cap to exit down below? There are holes on the left side which is where I think the top running light wires are at. Haven't found the original camera cable routing yet, so it must run someplace else.

Ordered 4 new cables this morning, going to replace the original at the top, plus a hitch camera, and two cables to run to the trailer for inside and rear view on it.

idoxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2017, 09:06 AM   #2

Have you considered a wireless unit?

Edit:. As you have already installed the other one I suppose it is a little late for that.
vdubbugman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:45 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Yes, I did consider it.

I've used a el cheapo wireless ebay special a few years ago and it didn't work too great at about a 20' distance. With the rear camera on this setup being 75 foot away I wasn't too sure even a high quality wireless one would work all that great. I'm sure the wired system will work better, just more work to put in.
idoxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:51 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I looked at running my new rear camera through the cap a few years ago but didn't have much luck finding a suitable pathway. I opted to run underneath chassis inside flexible conduit and sealed both ends. Has worked well so far.

Happy Trails
Old 05-31-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Not sure how your bedroom is set up. The cabinets on the rear wall have false bottoms and sides. maybe you can rout the wire that way?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:17 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
I'm hoping that I can run the camera cable across the rear cap and down drivers side, it looks hollow back there and I can see the wiring for I believe the rear running lights up there. I'm going to attempt to run a wire snake down it and see if that is open or not.

Glen didn't realize the bedroom cabinets had false bottoms in them, will have to look closer at that. I don't recall seeing any screws holding them in.

I did find out that the original camera cable runs directly underneath the roof, along the drivers side right above the trim that holds the rubber roof on. There's a number of wires there. Crazy place to put it, very difficult to service.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:38 PM   #7
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoxlr8 View Post
I'm hoping that I can run the camera cable across the rear cap and down drivers side, it looks hollow back there and I can see the wiring for I believe the rear running lights up there. I'm going to attempt to run a wire snake down it and see if that is open or not.

Glen didn't realize the bedroom cabinets had false bottoms in them, will have to look closer at that. I don't recall seeing any screws holding them in.

I did find out that the original camera cable runs directly underneath the roof, along the drivers side right above the trim that holds the rubber roof on. There's a number of wires there. Crazy place to put it, very difficult to service.
The false bottoms and sides are pin nailed in place.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-01-2017, 06:33 AM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
The false bottoms and sides are pin nailed in place.
Ok, I'd prefer not drilling through into the bedroom but that might be an option if the other fails.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #9

The coax may not be bad. Just the end coupling. Cut off existing connector, attach a new one, and see if that helps. If not, attach a 40 foot piece of coax, to existing coax, go inside to front, find the camera coax, and pull new cable thru.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
The coax may not be bad. Just the end coupling. Cut off existing connector, attach a new one, and see if that helps. If not, attach a 40 foot piece of coax, to existing coax, go inside to front, find the camera coax, and pull new cable thru.
I was able to tell when looking at it that they taped the old backup camera cable to the other wires in places, it ain't gonna pull through unfortunately.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #11

Not hard

It's not difficult. I have a 2011 American Tradition. I ran the new wire for the new camera down through an existing hole in the top of the rear cap. Ran it down into the back of the engine bay. From there I crawled underneath and with plastic zip ties ran it all the way up to the front. Found an existing line going up into the dash and went with it. Attached it to the new monitor (and power) and now have a great picture. Just a little dirty underneath the Coach.
Bob B.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Got all four cables ran this weekend, and two of the Cameras hooked up. I'm really looking forward to using the Hitch cam one when hooking up to the trailer, I think that one is going to help a lot.

It was not hard at all to snake the wire for the rear top camera down the left side. Lot harder trying to get them from under the dash to the top console.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #13
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Did you replace the monitor?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
Yes, I got rid of the Sony CRT and got a Voyager LCD Color monitor with 4 inputs.

Tags
camera