Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #15

Arch, what was the amp rating for the Costco batteries? I read in another thread that either them, Sam's or Walmart were the same 225 as Trojan.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Arch, what was the amp rating for the Costco batteries? I read in another thread that either them, Sam's or Walmart were the same 225 as Trojan.
I don't remember other than it was sufficient for a replacement of my original batteries.

That was about three years ago and they have taken me across the country twice with no problems.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #17

I searched for that thread, but couldn't find it. I had good luck with Sam's GC batteries in my 5er.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Buying from Sam's or Costco being not so good an idea. Tell us more. Why not?
Dunner
Apparently you misread my post!
Sorry!

I didn't say it was "not so good idea" to buy from Sam's or Costco

What I said it was:" IMO buying batteries from a particular store, (like Costco or Sam's Club), simply because like stores can be found most anywhere is not a good reason to buy batteries there ".

In other words IMO, although there are many good reasons to by from Costco or a Sam's Club, the fact that the stores are nearly everywhere is not one of the good reasons to buy batteries there.

BTW, I recently purchased 6 Michelin tires at Sam's Club because Sam's had the best price.

Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Takes many hours (like six or more) to charge batteries that low, Plug into shore power, 15-20 amps should be enough, come back tomorrow and unplug, then a few days later and measure voltage.. Make sure you TURN ON the batteries so shore can charge them (Connect/Use/On)
Old 12-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
My two cents worth.

First for the OP - You need to put an external charger on your House Batteries for at least one full day to allow them to FULLY charge. Then you can evaluate whether you damaged them or not. Use a Hydrometer to read the SpG of the fluid in each cell and record the readings.

Next, buying golf cart 6 VDC batteries for use in the House Battery bank from Costco or Sam's club is a GREAT idea as they are located all over the country if you need assistance plus Sam's Club has a full replacement warranty for the first year. In addition to the above, the batteries they sell are just as good as any others that usually are more expensive and don't give you any more years of service for the extra money.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #21

Over the years I have bought many batteries from SAMs Club. In the last year (because of owning 3 different MHs in a short period of time) I have bought 3 coach batteries, and 4 house batteries and 3 car batteries from Sam's Club. I have never had a problem with a Sam's club battery!

[QUOTE="mel stuplich;1858252"

BTW,
IMO buying batteries from a particular store, (like Costco or Sam's Club), simply because like stores can be found most anywhere is not a good reason to buy batteries there.

Mel
'96 Safari[/QUOTE]

Mel
I completely understand the point you were making. To me your statement should have been a nonissue.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #22

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Currently, the 6V GC2 AGM batteries at Sams Club are sporting a Duracell label. If you follow that back, you will find that they are manufactured by Deka (East Penn Industries) in Pennsylvania. Deka manufactures batteries for a lot of labels, and some of them are very well respected brands. I think "battery brand quality" is as much a marketing issue than it is actual battery construction.

Personally, I find the 6V AGM batteries at Sams Club a pretty hard bargain to beat.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Charging Challenges Continue

Many thanks for all the suggs. Have had MH on shore power and house batts again down to 7.5, and chassis to 12v. Ran engine for a bit and panel showed 14+ both banks. Shut down engine and both showed 12+ on panel. Then unplugged shore power and fired up gen. Wouldn't start. Fired up engine again then gen started and had light 2a load. Panel showed 12+ both banks, but after about 20 min gen shut down on its own? Not overheated, oil fine. Tried my local dealer/shop but they out till next week. Going to try charging house bank with external charger, but can't find disconnects some have mentioned (like marine ones?) if they even exist. Dealer was v. thorough on buy but did mention them, and don't see them in literature. Just breaker panel in BRoom. Guess I can just disconnect wires and charge the 2 6s like a 12v? Hope I'm not mucking up the system. Think I better leave it to dealer/shop. Worked perfect up to now. Coach has a WFCO 0865 power converter/charger and 50a Intellitec transfer relay - single input. Tks, Rick
Old 12-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You won't have any marine style manual diswconnects on that 2008 unless you or a previous owner installed them. The disconnects (solenoids) are controlled by the switches by the door. You need to have the batteries connected (top of the switches depressed) to charge the batteries from shore power. The disconnect solenoids are in our BCC and you should hear them clunk when the switches are activated.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
showed a 7.5v charge and chassis was 11.5v. Topped up the house batts and started the engine and both then showed 13+v on the panel. Ran the engine for a bit then shut down and both banks looked ok at 12+,
The 7.5 and 11.5 numbers definitely indicate dead batteries, however the 12 + readings after a short period of charging are nothing but temporary surface charge and will deplete quickly. I would use an external charger separately on both banks of batteries until they read 100 percent, not 98 or 99 percent. Usually the last couple percentage points will take the longest to complete.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknriver View Post
2008 Southwind 32 Workhorse. I may have killed/weakened my house batteries (2 6v Trojans) letting the water level drop low. Last week on shore power they only showed a 7.5v charge and chassis was 11.5v. Topped up the house batts and started the engine and both then showed 13+v on the panel. Ran the engine for a bit then shut down and both banks looked ok at 12+, but after few days with, no load, on shore power, house batts back to 7.6, chassis at 11.5. New house batts needed? Other problems possible. All was fine till I let the house batts water go down about 1-2" below top of plates. Comments appreciated. Hope all had a fine Christmas and wishing all a fun New Year. R
Sorry to say, but there's a chance that your inverter is toast too!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi, Turned out to be a bad converter. Old Trojan house batts then took good charge. Thank you all for very helpful info and ideas and good battery discussions. Ready for a month in FL in Feb :-). Safe Travels, Rick
Old 01-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Dunner
What's not always true?
Wondering?
Mel
'96 Safari
Yes, Sam's and Costco's batteries are rated at the same AH capacity as Trojan's.. After all it's a pound per amp hour figure.

HOWEVER there are other factors.. And Trojan is kind of the Cadillac of the battery world. They are noted for QUALITY.

Now: Are they ENOUGH better than the ones at Sam's to justify the higer cost.. That is a matter of opinion, some may feel they are.. I do not. But that is, an opinion.

So the bottom line is.. There are other factors than Amp Hours.

I will either be going with Sam's/Costco/Wal*Mart or rebuilts when I replace in the very near future. (My GC2, are GC-toast just now.)

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries