Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bad House Batteries affecting charging?

2008 Southwind 32 Workhorse. I may have killed/weakened my house batteries (2 6v Trojans) letting the water level drop low. Last week on shore power they only showed a 7.5v charge and chassis was 11.5v. Topped up the house batts and started the engine and both then showed 13+v on the panel. Ran the engine for a bit then shut down and both banks looked ok at 12+, but after few days with, no load, on shore power, house batts back to 7.6, chassis at 11.5. New house batts needed? Other problems possible. All was fine till I let the house batts water go down about 1-2" below top of plates. Comments appreciated. Hope all had a fine Christmas and wishing all a fun New Year. R
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #2

In all likelihood the batteries are damaged but you don't really know that for sure yet as 'running the engine for a bit' won't properly charge them. You need a quality charger (which eliminates most typical RV charger/converters) and a full charge, then check specific gravity to be sure it is correct. If they still won't hold a charge after that then you can try various rescue measures but in the end yeah, they're probably damaged and need to be replaced.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A hydrometer costs about $10 and is a good investment.

It will tell you the condition of each battery cell.

I think you will probably discover one or more of the cells are bad.

I bought my two 6 volt batteries at Costco because if I knew if I had problems on a trip I could find a Costco anywhere.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #4

It takes a good 8+ hours to fully charge low batteries. Maybe longer for yours.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you very much for the info and guidance. Are there chargers for 6v batts or switchable, as my portable charger says 12v only? Or can I use it with the 6v batts tied together as a 12v? Will get the hygrometer and use it regularly. No Costco near me, so will Sam's 6v golf cart batteries work ok if I get a size that will fit ok? Happy New Year and Safe Travels. Rick
Old 12-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #6

You can charge your two 6V batteries as if they were a single 12 V. I agree with the other posters. You did not get them fully charged.

As for them getting discharged, don't forget that there are several parasitic loads drawing current even when everything appears to be off.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #7

B&D makes a good three stage charger. They're usually under $100 for one on Amazon. or an auto parts store. Forget the model number.

Edit: Found the one I use: Currently Unavailable.

Black & Decker VEC1095ABD Smart Battery 25/10/2 Amp Battery Charger : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 12-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;1858166
Thank you very much for the info and guidance. Are there chargers for 6v batts or switchable, as my portable charger says 12v only? Or can I use it with the 6v batts tied together as a 12v? Will get the hygrometer and use it regularly. No Costco near me, so will Sam's 6v golf cart batteries work ok if I get a size that will fit ok? Happy New Year and Safe Travels. Rick
Rick
1.) The house battery bank, (whether you have one 12v battery, one pair of 6V batteries in series, or multiple pairs of 6V batteries in series), is charged as 12V, (with a 12 V charger).

2.) Your coach probably has a suitable 3 stage battery charger built in, (see your inverter/charger owners manual).

3.) If you do need new batteries, I suggest you do some research and buy the best batteries you can find at the best price you can find.

BTW,
IMO buying batteries from a particular store, (like Costco or Sam's Club), simply because like stores can be found most anywhere is not a good reason to buy batteries there.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Rick
1.) The house battery bank, (whether you have one 12v battery, one pair of 6V batteries in series, or multiple pairs of 6V batteries in series), is charged as 12V, (with a 12 V charger).

2.) Your coach probably has a suitable 3 stage battery charger built in, (see your inverter/charger owners manual).

3.) If you do need new batteries, I suggest you do some research and buy the best batteries you can find at the best price you can find.

BTW,
IMO buying batteries from a particular store, (like Costco or Sam's Club), simply because like stores can be found most anywhere is not a good reason to buy batteries there.

Mel
'96 Safari
That's not always true. I recently read that either Cosco or Walmart batteries were rated the same 225a as Trojan'ss.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #10

Your motohome has a converter that should put out 13.6v to your batteries when plugged in to shore power . I have let the water get low and my trojans have recovered. ALso you can get free wiring diagrams from feetwood just go online or call them.
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
That's not always true. I recently read that either Cosco or Walmart batteries were rated the same 225a as Trojan'ss.
Dunner
What's not always true?
Wondering?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
I bought 6V AGM batteries at Sams Club that rolled off the same assembly line as some of the expensive name brands. There are so few battery manufacturers in the US, you are never too far from the source.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #13

Quote:
BTW,

Mel
'96 Safari
Quote:
Dunner
What's not always true?
Wondering?
Mel
'96 Safari
Buying from Sam's or Costco being not so good an idea. Tell us more. Why not?

Old 12-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Awww Mel, now you've gone and hurt my feelings and I'll have to explain a few more things about my purchase at Costco.

You see, I DID do some research. Quite a bit as a matter of fact and I could find no compelling reason to NOT buy my batteries at Costco or Sam's Club or Walmart.

Their warranty is excellent and their product is good and they are located everywhere. Not to mention their price was very good.

So there you have it. The rest of the story.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries