Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #1

Batteries and 96 34H Bounder

Dear Techies.... Any one ever place 4 6V wet cell batteries in the nose battery box of the older Bounders? I am looking to add more boondock potential to my coach by placing two additional batteries in the nose.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #2

If you have the room, I say go for it. Post pics when you're done.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #3

I've been having this discussion on DISCOVERYOWNERS forum. I called Fleetwood about the 6 volt verses the 12 volt batteries. I'm the second owner of this coach a 2003 Fleetwood Discovery 39S. They told me that all there RV's leave the plant having 6 volt batteries . They use Trojan T 105 batteries. I'm having a issue with batteries and it had 4 new EVERSTART 24F series batteries from you guessed itin my coach when i got it. In September 2013
donwat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #4

Sorry , i touched send by mistake. In September 2013 i got into my coach to go some place and the generator wouldn't start. Well it had a fault code 33. Which was the low coolant sensor was bad. On my coach the generator doesn't slide out, it has to be dropped out the bottom. Lucky mine was bolted in and not welded in. Some are. It takes 5 hours just to drop it down plus the labor to fix and another 5 labor hours to put back in. By the time all was done $3300.00 bill. Well I though that was all done. Still the batteries were tested and 3 of the 4 needed to be replaced. Now this 5 months ago , we had a few days of 5° temperature nights and 20 during the day. The batteries were dead. I tried to charge them but wouldn't take a charge since I just replaced them in September I took them back to Walmart under warranty they fussed but replaced them That's when I called FLEETWOOD about the 6 volt verses the 12 volt batteries. I have found the Trojan batteries for about the same price as the 12 volt batteries in there. The Trojan T-105 6 volt deep cell batteries are $102.00 each. And I paid $101.00 for the 12 volt. What would you guys do. Like I said I've had this discussion on DISCOVERYOWNERS FORUM.
Donald'Dr.Don"Watkins
Master Sergeant USAF Ret
Old 02-14-2014, 05:17 AM   #5

The 6 volt batteries are oem on almost every MH built. I would never install the 12 volts. The 6 volts are designed for severe service, have heavy plates and give longer life. BTW: You cannot mix new and old batteries. If 3 were bad you should have replaced all 4.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:19 AM   #6

Don: I have this opinion to offer... first I would get a decent battery monitor. You will find this suggestion to be the best anyone will offer. I bought a MIDNITE Battery Capacity Meter http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/MNBCM12.13a.pdf $55. It is easy to read...easy to install and will help you visualize issues that you might have in your charging system.

Next....if you are having short battery life ...be it 12v or 6v....start troubleshooting that issue. Do not jump to the conclusion that you have a poor choice of battery. We buy and convert to 6V (and not all coaches came with 6V batteries from the factory) in order to gain a battery with denser plating that has a higher potential for RV abuse. There are some really great 12v systems out there and you might have a great battery system with a really bad wiring system (grounding, yadda yadda) or a series of just minor issues. I suggest that you get elbow deep in some troubleshooting...then decide on the course of action.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:25 AM   #7

I must take it that among those who have read thru my question...none have mashed a 4 pack of big batteries in the battery area on the front nose of their older Bounder. If I can fit them....I will let you know that they were put in place.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
Don: I have this opinion to offer... first I would get a decent battery monitor. You will find this suggestion to be the best anyone will offer. I bouthatght a MIDNITE Battery Capacity Meter http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/MNBCM12.13a.pdf $55. It is easy to read...easy to install and will help you visualize issues that you might have in your charging system.

Next....if you are having short battery life ...be it 12v or 6v....start troubleshooting that issue. Do not jump to the conclusion that you have a poor choice of battery. We buy and convert to 6V (and not all coaches cThen ame with 6V batteries from the factory) in order to gain a battery with denser plating that has a higher potential for RV abuse. There are some really great 12v systems out there and you might have a great battery system with a really bad wiring system (grounding, yadda yadda) or a series of just minor issues. I suggest that you get elbow deep in some troubleshooting...then decide on the course of action.
Thank you Craig, I've had all 4 batteries replaced. I called Fleetwood and was told that all the RV's they build leave the plant with Trojan T-105 6v out deep cell batteries. That being said, this is my second coach and I'm the second owner of this coach. Both have had 12 volt batteries in them when I bought them. I did just find a battery connecter broken . My grandson must have over tighten them when we replaced them in September 2013. We shall see. I'm going to go to a metal shop and get two copper plates to replace the battery cables on the batteries. So that the 4 batteries are connected by the plated. Then I'm going to connect them to the coach with the cables . Thanks for help.
Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
Master Sergeant USAF Ret
Old 02-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Dear Techies.... Any one ever place 4 6V wet cell batteries in the nose battery box of the older Bounders? I am looking to add more boondock potential to my coach by placing two additional batteries in the nose.
Craig, I modified my 95 Bounder 32H F53 to hold 4 6V batteries (T105) behind the front bumper. If you have a P32 (Chebby) chassis, ignore the rest of my post, as they are different. The battery boxes are wide enough to accept two 6V batteries each but they are not deep enough. You'll need to remove the front bumper and torch the front lip off the battery boxes. Then weld a 2" X 3" piece if angle iron on to extend the box forward. Then you'll need to trim the back side of the bumper and the channel iron bracing. I had to mount the front bumper 3/4" forward to clear the modifications.
I would love to offer pictures but they are at home and I'm keeping warm in SOCAL. If you like, send me a PM after April first and I'll provide photos.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #10

Richard: I have a P30 chassis. It is a bit chilly to get down and under but I think I have enough room to snug my battery needs to the forward compartment and wedge 4 batteries in that area. In a few weeks it will be warm enough in Louisville to pull the house batteries out and get the perfect look at the whole box area. Did you need modify the suspension of your rig to better handle the extra 160 pounds?
Old 02-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Richard: I have a P30 chassis. It is a bit chilly to get down and under but I think I have enough room to snug my battery needs to the forward compartment and wedge 4 batteries in that area. In a few weeks it will be warm enough in Louisville to pull the house batteries out and get the perfect look at the whole box area. Did you need modify the suspension of your rig to better handle the extra 160 pounds?
Craig,
I had enough front axle capacity to add 2 T105 golf cart batteries at 63# each. My front axle is rated for 5000# and I believe you P32 is rated the same. No suspension mods were required or possible to add more capacity.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, bounder