Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #1

Batteries Dead?

Can anyone tell me why when I try to start my Providence 39l D/P the low battery light comes on I hit the boost batt. switch and nothing changes. Still no crank then check engine lite comes on?
Johnandcara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnandcara2 View Post
Can anyone tell me why when I try to start my Providence 39l D/P the low battery light comes on I hit the boost batt. switch and nothing changes. Still no crank then check engine lite comes on?
In my case, the boost solenoid was bad so i could not transfer the coach batteries to the chassis battery. 2nd scenario is that the coach batteries are too low as well. Low voltage, loose cables, bad ground all enemies of 12 volt systems.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #3

I would like to know where this relay/switch is? Otherwise I guess I will have to take to dealer after a jump.Hopefully that is all that is wrong. thanks for the responds John
Old 12-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Batteries Dead?

Agree that it is probably a bad boost solenoid. You can use one side of a set of jumper cables and connect the positive engine battery to the positive of the house battery and see it it starts, that does the same thing as the boost solenoid. If it works, look for the black box that the heavy positive chassis battery cable goes to (as well as the house). That should be it.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #5

I think I try that first, If it doesn't work I 'll call ERS. Thanks All.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You have to hold the "boost" switch depressed while trying to start the engine. Are you doing this?

Also, if you can start the generator, it should charge the batteries up enough to start the engine in just a short time.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Try letting the gennny run for 15 min, then try the boost button while the genny is still running. Unless you have a real unusual situation, that should start it.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbounder View Post
Try letting the gennny run for 15 min, then try the boost button while the genny is still running. Unless you have a real unusual situation, that should start it.
That is only true if the boost solenoid still works! If it doesn't the house batteries will come up, but not only won't the chassis battery get a charge, the boost switch will do nothing since the solenoid is dead!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
That is only true if the boost solenoid still works! If it doesn't the house batteries will come up, but not only won't the chassis battery get a charge, the boost switch will do nothing since the solenoid is dead!
Yes Scott, that's what we are trying to help him determine.

JOHNANDCARA - look here http://intellitec.com/PDF/5300606.100.pdf for a guide of how this thing works.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #10

Problem Solved !!! I charged the start batteries with a trickle charger for 3 Hrs and they are not having any issues anymore. Thanks for the help.John
Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Problem Solved !!! I charged the start batteries with a trickle charger for 3 Hrs and they are not having any issues anymore. Thanks for the help.John

er the *symptom* is solved... but the PROBLEM (likely) remains
-as you shouldn't need the trickle charger in normal circumstances-

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
You need to find out why your chassis batteries are not charging properly.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:45 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Problem Solved!

Quote:
Agree with the other responders...symptom is gone...problem persists. If your system was running normally, your converter would have topped off the chassis batteries days ago. It didn't! I would also suspect that your boost switch doesn't work either, which again is the same problem. Finally, even if you drive for days, your house batteries won't get recharged from the alternator either.

On most systems it should be a simple $20 part...but I guess you could always bring along a trickle charger.