Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Batteries not keeping charged

Merry Christmas all. I am new to this forum and have not read all of the prior posts yet. I am having a problem keeping the batteries charged. I can plug in to shore power and in a couple of days the batteries will be full charged. The batteries were at least six years old so I replaced them last June. After I replace them they still would not keep a charge, the coach has a solar panel to charge them. I have noticed that on the control monitor the power lights ( main or aux) does not come on now and that none of the level switches . Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciate. Thank You .
hondaman2gw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Are you expecting the solar panel to maintain a full charge on both house and engine batteries when the coach is not connected to shore power? How big is the panel? Many of them are only a few watts in power and may be connected only to one set of batteries. The typical 8x15" solar panel mounted on top of an a/c unit is sufficient only to keep one battery topped up if there is no loads on it. And then only if the suns stays bright much of the day.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #3

have you had the altenator tested.a bad altenator will drain your batteries when the engine is turned off.
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #4

battery disconnect switch

Here are some other discussions
Old 12-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. Some time around Sept or Oct of 2009 we put a cover over it. Wrong idea because the Texas winds tore it to pieces. That is when we started having problems with is. Before I replaced the batteries the lights would come on but after I replaced them the lights stopped coming on. We have less than 5000 miles on it and have not seen any problems with the altenator. I am thinking that I failed to turn the battery switch of before I replaced the batteries and I think it sent a surge to the control panel and shorted it out.
hondaman2gw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman2gw View Post
Thanks for the replies. Some time around Sept or Oct of 2009 we put a cover over it. Wrong idea because the Texas winds tore it to pieces. That is when we started having problems with is. Before I replaced the batteries the lights would come on but after I replaced them the lights stopped coming on. We have less than 5000 miles on it and have not seen any problems with the altenator. I am thinking that I failed to turn the battery switch of before I replaced the batteries and I think it sent a surge to the control panel and shorted it out.
There are two 30amp re-settable DC circuit breakers inside your BCC that are probably tripped.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #7

One of the things I just remembered is that I have to turn off the inverter along with the battery disconnects or the house batteries will discharge in a few days.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
A VOM is your friend, find where you do have power form the solar panel and trace it through to where you don't. Conventional Lead Acid batteries will self discharge apart from any loads.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries