Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Batteries out for the winter?? Diesel advice?

Does everyone take out ALL of their batteries for the winter - coach and engine??? We typically put our Motorhome away for the winter in October and get it out in March or April, depending on weather.

Also, is there anything special we should do with our diesel that we didn't do with our gas motorhome? I know my husband always put "stable" in the gas tank, etc. Will we have any issues starting the engine in March or April when it's still fairly cold in Michigan? Thank you!!
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You need to do something for the batteries to keep them from discharging and freezing over the winter. They can stay in the coach if you have a trickle-charger of some sort to replace the lost power (the coach's own charge system may be adequate). but should probably be removed to a above-freezing area if you don't have any way to keep them charged. You will still need to charge them a couple times over the 5-6 month off-season, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
With our diesel, there are so many more batteries and cables. Will we have a difficult time putting them all back in? I've heard many people have trouble - even though they take pictures, draw diagrams, etc.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I gather you are a novice with electricity and batteries. Hooking them up is not difficult, but if you don't understand what you are doing, take very good notes and pictures. There is a positive (+) and negative (1) terminal on each battery and they must be connected in the original order. The cables are usually color coded to help out, so note both the color of each cable and the terminals it connects.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #5

I would rather plug my coach in or hook up a charger than remove 6 batteries but I live in the south
Old 09-30-2009, 06:16 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
With our diesel, there are so many more batteries and cables. Will we have a difficult time putting them all back in? I've heard many people have trouble - even though they take pictures, draw diagrams, etc.
Label each cable end with a number (1) and the battery post it comes off of (1). The bigger problem I see, is actually lifiting the heavy batteries in and out.

Don't forget, even with the batteries out, the charge will need to be maintained. I you just stick'em in the corner of the garage till next spring, they'll be deader than a door nail.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:11 AM   #7

A charged battery will not freeze. Stored my MH and toad in Anchorage for two winters, -30 degrees for two weeks last winter. You don't have to go to all the hassle of removing the batteries. Just disconnect the negative cable. Have 8 batteries total, six 6v coach and toad engine batteries. Stored for seven months. The cold actually helps for long term storage. There is less self discharge.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We live in Nebraska and have never removed the batteries in the winter. Just be sure they are fully charged and turn the battery switch off or disconnect the battery cable and you will be fine. If you are concerned about the time in storage, start the generator every few months to charge up the batteries. Instead of sta-bil for the diesel, just fill the fuel tank and add a can of anti-gel for diesel fuel and you will be fine.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question

So, is it best to leave the motorhome plugged in all winter - with the batteries turned on?? Or leave it unplugged all winter with the batteries turned off?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
True: Dead Batteries can freeze
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote