RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2019, 06:31 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Battery Boost switch Question

I just picked up a new to me 2010 American Coach Eagle. House batteries apparently need to be replaced. After boondocks game last night house batteries are at 10.5 volts. Coach is running and I need help to know which way to toggle the aux start switch. Top of switch says “coach” and bottom says “gen”. If I’m trying to use coach to start the generator which end do I press?
Have tried both and gen won’t start? Suggestions?
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2019, 07:20 AM   #2

If your solenoid is bad just use jumper cables to the house main terminals to start the generator

Some use a Bush fix jumping the solenoid
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:13 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
If your solenoid is bad just use jumper cables to the house main terminals to start the generator

Some use a Bush fix jumping the solenoid

I was able to get the generator started by plugging into 20 amp plug and letting it charge for about 30 mins. I’m gonna have house batteries checked because they should’ve been able to support the coach for 6 hours without getting so drained that chassis batteries weren’t able to jump them. Nothing was running overnight except the fridge. Thanks for your response.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #4

With couch running, the house batteries should show some charging. That's automatic.

The solenoid that does that is the same one that the boost switch controls. The solenoid is a very common failure item.

Find it and see if it passes voltage from one side to the other if the large terminals.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The battery boost switch should be a momentary one, i.e. spring loaded and returns to the open position when you release it. If the switch you are looking at has two positions and stays in either one, it maybe has some other function? Not sure what, though. My '04 didn't have one labeled like that (and I'm guessing your '06 didn't either).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The battery boost switch should be a momentary one, i.e. spring loaded and returns to the open position when you release it. If the switch you are looking at has two positions and stays in either one, it maybe has some other function? Not sure what, though. My '04 didn't have one labeled like that (and I'm guessing your '06 didn't either).

Indeed this is a spring loaded switch with a house position and a chassis. On my Tradition there was just one option and it didn’t matter if you were trying to start the coach or the generator. It basically connected all of the batteries and you could start whichever motor wasn’t running. With This switch I just need to see it the toggle means you are using the source as the jumper or the jumpee (if there is such a word)
Old 02-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #7

Your Boost switch puts power to a solenoid that jumps house and Chassis batteries together. Solenoid is powered by house batteries. If they are dead solenoid will not fire. Could yours have a second solenoid that could send chassis power to house bank? That would be nice.
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #8

Re reading your post, is it possable that you have an independent generator battery ?

That would explain the 2 selections on the switch.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, switch