Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #1

Battery Control Box Electrical Issues

Own a 2003 Bounder with a Ford V10 engine. I have not been able to start the engine due to an electrical short inside the battery control box.Appears that the battery contact cable shorter on metal box . Is there a way to by pass this ? Anyone out there with similar problems.?? Is there a fuse or breaker some where to re-set?? Thanks for any help.

( I can not get the unit towed due to a 90 degree turn on dead end street in residential area).
Hemi350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Could you remove the shorted battery cable and replace with a new one and route it so it won't short against the metal box? If it shorted they way I think you're describing I'm surprised it didn't start a fire.

There may be a fusible link in the battery cable that went out too, replace it properly if so.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
This may help...

Remember to remove the ground from BOTH the CHASSIS and COACH batteries before doing ANYTHING in the Battery Control Center... There are ALWAYS HOT wires in there.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
Could you remove the shorted battery cable and replace with a new one and route it so it won't short against the metal box? If it shorted they way I think you're describing I'm surprised it didn't start a fire.

There may be a fusible link in the battery cable that went out too, replace it properly if so.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will check it out. I had just pulled the unit to the drive way to clean it for a trip. Then it shut down...did smell burned rubber. Heat from the short did melt the tip of the contact point ( flat metal bar) inside control box. Wondering if the on dash battery boost had provided to much of a current....have used it in the past and never a problem.

I appreciate your help. Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
This may help...

Thanks....thats great information...will use it to try and track down problem. The week before Ford had a recall on electrical harness for cruise control. The short was in same area that had been worked on?

Remember to remove the ground from BOTH the CHASSIS and COACH batteries before doing ANYTHING in the Battery Control Center... There are ALWAYS HOT wires in there.
Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try this, it has all the info you will need for the Battery Box Guide. Good Luck.........
Attached Files
File Type: doc Fleetwood_Battery Box Trouble Shooting Guide.doc (52.5 KB, 3348 views)
File Type: pdf Schematics Fleetwood Trouble Guide.pdf (664.0 KB, 452 views)
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I seem to remember about 6 mo. ago here was a recall from SOME mfr (don't remember who) regarding a factory error. The battery cable was routed taughtly over the edge of a plate adjacent to the steering column. They had a 'campaign' and fixed it no charge. Perhaps someone had this done and can fill in the blanks for you.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #8

Aux Battery Switch

I have been having trouble with my Aux Battery switch on my 1999 Bounder with Ford V-10. I purchased this unit several months ago and continue to move from one problem to the next. In addition to the Aux start problem, the Generator now won't start from the dash switch or directly at the Generator. The batteries are completely charged but the Generator won't start remotely or with the engine running. The question I ask is could there be a connection between the BCC solenoid and the Generator not starting?
Tunez is offline   Reply With Quote