Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2019, 08:03 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Battery cut off switches

Hello Friends.

Stonehands here with a small question on my Battery cut off switches on our new to us Fleetwood 2003 Bounder 35B.

In our coach, above the door, are located 2 rocker switches market Battery Cut Off. Very familiar with these in other applications but want to better understand when I would use them.

These are rocker switches and not on or off. One switch for Aux and one for Main.

Questions are:

1. What does each switch control as it relates to items that fall into the Aux range or what is tied to the Main switch?

2. Which position is on and off. As you can push up and hear a click or down and hear a click, which position turn on and which turn off each respective switch. Up for on and down for Off??

Told you it was a small thing. Thank you everyone in advance. If a pic helps I can send one.
Stonehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Can't remember my old 1997 Bounder. They are powering disconnect switches that use no power in either position. One way momentarily powers the solenoid to switch on and the other powers the solenoid to switch off. One is for your house battery bank and the other is for your chassis (engine.)

Easy to test. Hit the Main and try to start, if it doesn't, hit the Main the other way and it will start. Same for the AUX, but you need to be disconnected from shore power. If you are, one way and the lights will go out, the other and they will go on. I think the top was for on and the bottom was off, but I don't really remember that well.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
These switches momentarily energize magnets in a magnetically held solenoid switch. The solenoid switches are located in your Battery Control Center (BCC). One position connects the battery to the circuit, the other position disconnects the battery from the circuit.

The AUX is the coach battery. It completely removes the battery from the circuits, same thing as if you physically removed the cable from the battery.

The Main is technically a little different, It doesn't completely remove the battery, i.e. starter, hydraulic pump, etc, are still connected, HOWEVER, items that control these are removed, so effectively, its like removing the battery cable. There should be no current flowing through the battery..

Time to use (disconnect).

Long term storage. Make sure the batteries are charged before long term storage.

Shore power - You can also use during long term shore power. Note that this will prevent the batterie(s) from being charged by your coaches 12 volt converter.

Your BCC is probably identical to mine. Here's a manual with diagrams:

http://1999southwind.com/DOWNLOAD/RV...ucts%20BCC.pdf

Last year when I was evaluating my 12 volt system for boondocking, I traced things out and made a simplified diagram. That diagram is on my web site. Scroll down to "FACTORY WIRING"

http://www.1999southwind.com/12-volt-power-upgrades/

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Can't remember my old 1997 Bounder. They are powering disconnect switches that use no power in either position. One way momentarily powers the solenoid to switch on and the other powers the solenoid to switch off. One is for your house battery bank and the other is for your chassis (engine.)

Easy to test. Hit the Main and try to start, if it doesn't, hit the Main the other way and it will start. Same for the AUX, but you need to be disconnected from shore power. If you are, one way and the lights will go out, the other and they will go on. I think the top was for on and the bottom was off, but I don't really remember that well.
Great response and good way to test. Will give it a whirl. Thank you.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great detail Waiter and thank you for the information. Will check out the link as well.

Thank you.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:54 AM   #6

I agree they put these switches in a dumb place. If they are off your power step does not come out when you open door. So it’s quite a step to get in to turn them on. Would have been nice if they were just inside the door.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Battery cut off switches.

Thank you everyone. Simple test was the best idea. Unhooked from shore power and turned on inside lights. I pushed down on AUX switch and lights went out. Pushed up and they came back on.

Up is on and down is off. Sweet and thank you.

Tags
battery, switch