Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2019, 08:54 AM   #1

Battery drain? while hooked up to 50amp service during trip.

We noticed in our 2014 35k bounder that the awning comes in ( we understand that if the batteries are low the awning will automatically come in, batteries showed 12.25) I installed two 6v Trojan batteries new last year so I’ll assume their good ( also appropriate level of water in batteries checked)
However, when traveling the batteries recharge. While stopped we’re on usually 50amp service. How can there be a drain on the batteries??
OR, am I supposed to cut off the battery switch while stopped?
Thanks in advance
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #2

Many RVs don't have any way to keep the chassis batteries (starting batteries) charged up while parked. Even on newer RVs. I suggest that you measure the voltage across the battery bank while plugged into 50 amp. If you don't read 13.xx volts, that's likely your problem.

What most people do is either get a small Schumaker float charger 1.5 to 2.5 amps and hook that to the batteries...but you need a nearby 120 volt outlet to plug it into. Others buy a Trik-L-Start or Amp-L-Start device. These hook to the house batteries and suck some of the charge that comes from your converter out and sends it to the chassis batts to keep them topped off.

I've been using my Trik-L-Start for 3 years now and it works great. Was able to use a Schumaker in my '94 Bounder for 12 years but in that case there was an outlet in the next basement cabinet where I got power. Difference between the Schumaker and Trik-L-Start was only in price...$22 vs. $70.

This assumes I've read your post correctly.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #3

Look for a circuit breaker for the converter/charger. It may be off.

That's what charges the batteries when on 50 amp service.

If the breaker is good, there will be 2 fuses on the converter. They are to protect against reverse polarity. Could be blown.

You should see 13+ volts when plugged in.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #4

One should never assume the batteries are good. Let's presume the batteries have been abused by not being charged correctly for the last year (could very well be the case).
The Bounder (and most Fleetwoods) have this thing called the BCC (Battery Control Center). Inside there are solenoids that control when the battery is charged via the chassis electrical or shore power. Very common for these to lock up and not work any more (they can be replaced fairly easily).
Lots of threads on this (so I am not going to regurgitate it) and you can find a troubleshooting guide for it.
My guess is the solenoid (or 2 maybe 3) and now batteries need to be replaced.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #5

[QUOTE=computerguy;4963273
My guess is the solenoid (or 2 maybe 3) and now batteries need to be replaced.[/QUOTE]

Disagree on bad solenoids or batteries.

Only the battery disconnect solenoid would stop the house " battery " power from supplying power to the house loads. Its working because he sees the battery voltage dropping.

The converter/charger is on the switched side of the disconnect, so if on shore power he should have 13 volts regardless of battery condition.. If the converter/charger is not working, he will experience what's happening.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsportys View Post
We noticed in our 2014 35k bounder that the awning comes in ( we understand that if the batteries are low the awning will automatically come in, batteries showed 12.25) I installed two 6v Trojan batteries new last year so I’ll assume their good ( also appropriate level of water in batteries checked)
However, when traveling the batteries recharge. While stopped we’re on usually 50amp service. How can there be a drain on the batteries??
OR, am I supposed to cut off the battery switch while stopped?
Thanks in advance
There are of course two sets of batteries, house and chassis. The electric awning is involved, so house batteries are the issue.

Two Trojan 6 volt batteries in series showing 12.25 volts static is less than 50% discharged. I would not expect the awning to automatically retract at that voltage.

When batteries check 12.25 and are under load, they could be at an even higher level of charge. Voltage drops dramatically as 12 volt load increases. It returns to a higher voltage when the load is reduced.

If shore power is connected, 12.25 means no charging is taking place.

Setting the battery disconnect to "off" would disconnect shore power charging. So, don't turn it off.

Assuming shore power is connected, you need to find the point in the system that is interrupting charging. Charging voltage on a battery bank that has been on charge for a while should be above 13 volts.

Complicated RV systems have lots of points that could cause the problem.

Does your RV have a main 12 on off switch near the entry door? Sometimes it is called a Salesmen Switch. Charging will not usually occur when this switch is off. However, many 12 volt appliances such as lights would not work either. The awning may retract as well.

Does your RV have a switch or breaker for the Inverter/Charger. If the charger is off, of course it will not charge.

There may be a fuse on the 12 volt side of the inverter/charger that is blown.

Automatic energy management systems have various controls that could turn charging off. Malfunctioning relays in the systems often cause this problem.

Use your multimeter to track down the culprit.
Output from the inverter/charger 12 volt side should be 13.6 volts when shore power is connected. If not you are narrowing down where the issue is.
If charger output is above 13 volts, circuit diagrams for the energy management system and TT would be helpful to continue troubleshooting.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

All Fleetwood coaches charge the house batteries while on shore power or while driving. Shore charging relies on the inverter/converter/charger; while driving its the engine alternator that does the job. Yours aren't being charged while on shore power (evidenced by the 12.25v). See Persistent reply and follow his advice.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
There are of course two sets of batteries, house and chassis. The electric awning is involved, so house batteries are the issue.

Two Trojan 6 volt batteries in series showing 12.25 volts static is less than 50% discharged. I would not expect the awning to automatically retract at that voltage.

When batteries check 12.25 and are under load, they could be at an even higher level of charge. Voltage drops dramatically as 12 volt load increases. It returns to a higher voltage when the load is reduced.

If shore power is connected, 12.25 means no charging is taking place.

Setting the battery disconnect to "off" would disconnect shore power charging. So, don't turn it off.

Assuming shore power is connected, you need to find the point in the system that is interrupting charging. Charging voltage on a battery bank that has been on charge for a while should be above 13 volts.

Complicated RV systems have lots of points that could cause the problem.

Does your RV have a main 12 on off switch near the entry door? Sometimes it is called a Salesmen Switch. Charging will not usually occur when this switch is off. However, many 12 volt appliances such as lights would not work either. The awning may retract as well.

Does your RV have a switch or breaker for the Inverter/Charger. If the charger is off, of course it will not charge.

There may be a fuse on the 12 volt side of the inverter/charger that is blown.

Automatic energy management systems have various controls that could turn charging off. Malfunctioning relays in the systems often cause this problem.

Use your multimeter to track down the culprit.
Output from the inverter/charger 12 volt side should be 13.6 volts when shore power is connected. If not you are narrowing down where the issue is.
If charger output is above 13 volts, circuit diagrams for the energy management system and TT would be helpful to continue troubleshooting.

Checked fuses, ok, the culprits are the batteries theirselves. Checked them before leaving 3 weeks ago.
The Trojan t105’s both looked like they had a slight bulge on them near the + area and a hairline crack.
Called Trojan and talked to their technical department. Comes down to this. If batteries are not kept on some type of trickle charge to keep them full all the time they will not recharge to 100% and what happened to the top is exactly what will happen. They will never fully recharge.
Bottom line. Replace
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:24 PM   #9

Before you turn in the batteries for new ones, get them tested.

Charging while driving and not while on shore power doesn't lead to bad batteries.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:16 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe your batteries are bad, but I'm rather skeptical. It is certainly not what causes a voltage reading of 12.25 while plugged to shore power. Even a bad battery ought to appear to be 13+ volts if the converter/charger is operational and connected to the batteries. Something isn't right here, but we don't have enough info to pinpoint it. I suggest following Persistent's advice and checking back here with what you learn.

I'm not saying the Trojan guys are wrong - it is probably true that your batteries will no longer deliver 100% of their rated capacity, but that's often a long way from replacement time.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Batteries

I understand from the manual if you turn off the battery switches above the door the batteries will not charge even if on shore power. Notice if you start the coach up you will get a click and the LP detector will beep and the light will come on. Than its ready to charge from the alternator. I leave my switches on all the time when hooked up unless shutting down for the winter and than unhook them and put a small charger on them and all works well. Check them once a month a least with a meter and watch the water....
It is also important to keep all house batteries equally charged. I also figured out the main (engine) battery will not charge from shore until the house batteries are charged. Good luck been there done that.

Tags
battery, service