Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 07:36 PM   #1

Before I kill myself…..Air line for toad help please

2014 Fleetwood Disco 40E. Toad is 2020 Ram 4x4.
System is all Roadmaster, Nighthawk, 9000 + Breakaway.

Truck config is done. (Note if anyone has a current Ram truck and wants help on this install reach out.).

Everything else is ready to go except the supplemental brake airline from the RV. I have located the air line relay in the nose and see the “supply in” plus 2 lines out (one is the air horn) other is likely the additional airline I have at in the drivers side first bay for fun inflation. There is also 4 empty ports. I figured this was where I would hook my breakaway line to and run the line back to the rear (40ft seems stupid).Fleetwood says that is where you are supposed to access the system for additional devices. <—- pretty sure that is not where I should be hooking up though as I need the primary brake line. I dont want my Toad braking when I hit my horn - right? .

Beyond that, before the first axle and just behind where the Genset sits is the “main supply manifold” I am guessing - there is no empty ports, so will have to tap in. I cannot find another relay further back for the life of me yet Freightliner says there is one.. Is there one? Am I over thinking this? Likely!

My concern is opening up those lines while I am under it and it is on its jacks. If I tap into the line (up on jacks) will I lose enough air pressure that the RV is coming down to bump stops?

Does anyone have any experience air tapping into their roughly 14 vintage Disco?

Have an image in my head of the DW coming out to my legs sticking out under the RV on its belly and me as a flat leaky strawberry fruit roll up.

Would really appreciate any help!
TIA
Rusty
58Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Once all the air is bleed out of the 2 air tanks the RV can't go anywhere because the parking brake is automatically set. UNLESS you have 1 or more of the rear dualies off the grade. Block the fronts too..
Old 10-24-2021, 08:36 PM   #3

Thanks, but is it on its belly or is it on its jacks? Would like to know this before I go under and open the airline!

I know we are not supposed to go under when on jacks but how else do you do this?

Fiesta, looks like we have sister rigs. This is my first DP and first air system. I would say my mechanic skills are at a 4/5. Do basically everything except welding, air systems and Diesels!

If anyone knows anything about 57-60 F100s they know that everything has to be fabbed - there is zero AM support so I am used to figuring things out. This airline has me puzzled.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:59 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Look around in the rear axle area. There should be a manifold back there and that is where you want to tap in, not way up front.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #5

Rusty,

Here is the Freightliner XC Air System Diagram for my 2012 Discovery 40X and yours should be the same.

Hope this helpsFreightliner XC Air and Wiring Diagrams.pdf

Sent from my SM-G955U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:54 AM   #6

You may have to open the file on your laptop or desktop.

Old 10-25-2021, 10:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Ford View Post
Can anyone help me here? Need to hook up my airline for my toad and cannot locate a rear relay to find a spare port. 14 Disco 40E. This is doing my head in!

If I am under it and open the air line is the rig coming down on top of me? Is there some other kind of access?

I have already posted in the toad section.
TIA
Rusty
I'm going to make an assumption that you are trying to hook up an airline for a toad braking system? If it is like mine (M&G Engineering), the manufacturer of the braking system gave me drawings indicating the location for the connection they want you to use. And yes, if the coach is "aired up" and you hit or bump or sever the airbag lines or control valve, you could find the coach suddenly sitting down several inches.

Please consider blocking the frame of the coach up so it won't fall.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:05 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So you plan on raising your coach up on the leveling jacks and then crawling under it, is that right? I heard no mention of jack stands. Make sure you say goodbye to everyone before you go under.

Glenn
Old 10-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Before I kill myself…..Air line for toad help please

The air supply for brakes needs to be tapped in at a specific location. As it is only active when air brakes are activated on coach. Ideally you would install the Coach side kit which includes a safety valve and ping tank.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Air-F...-p/93-0038.htm

I am showing this safety kit for Air Force One but will also work with the Roadmaster system. Not sure if they sell a similar kit.
This is installed on some new coaches now.

Edit:
This link shows install info.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...o/SM99627.html

Need Coach safely elevated with ramps and or Jack stands rated for Coach when air system is fully deflated and air bags on stops.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:09 PM   #10

On this coach and the previous two, I just tapped into the air line feeding the rear brakes with a TEE to feed my M&G brake system. The line goes to the rear of the coach to a quick release. When towing, an short coiled air line is plugged into the quick release and into toad. No issues since 2003.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:36 AM   #11

Rusty,

Did you get the drawings?

Old 10-26-2021, 11:17 AM   #12

I may as well start with you Glenn - Good bye! What a useless post.

Thanks SPK64 and Crasher.

I called Etrailer, Fleetwood & Freightliner. All no specific help for me. Freightliner refused to provide info on the rear relay location but at least admitted that the front relay would not work (service line not brake) and suggested I call the manufacturer. I’ll bet he wasn’t supposed to say that even.

Roadmaster WERE helpful. There is an additional relay confirmed at the rear but if it’s not in plain site he recommended just tapping in at one of the rear hubs. As you say Crasher! He also confirmed that the jacks are hydraulic and separate from the brake air line. Opening up the airline will reduce pressure until it eventually goes below 45psi and triggers the emergency brake system and locks the rear wheels. At that point the rig will not move until aired up again.

Obviously, chocking is required plus usual common sense. Jacks, stands (I usually use spare wheels) etc.

Not sure why I need a ping tank if I have the Roadmaster breakaway installed but will keep it in mind.

Thanks for the help and suggestions- I now have a plan to move forward.
Best,
Rusty
Old 10-26-2021, 11:24 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You can't just use air from anywhere in the system. Needs to be metered by your brake pedal. Harder you press on the pedal, higher pressure to your aux brake system.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:28 AM   #14

Sure did thanks Toribk! Awesome!

Thanks all. Will likely just tap into one of the rear hubs as that was suggested by Roadmaster. Fleetwood & Freightliner were no help.

If anyone needs any help on the toad side install for a current vintage Ram 1500 and Roadmaster setup I’d be happy to help talk you through it. It takes ages to make it look like a factory install so I’d be up for saving someone else’s time.
Regards,
Rusty

Tags
toad, air