Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2021, 06:31 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Angry Black tank flush overfill

Hello everyone,
3 year reader first time poster, thanks in advance.

2017 Discovery 39F Coach

Black tank flush was accidentally turned on when DW turned on water supply. (The fresh water and the tank flush line is connected via a Tee valve connector all the time when parked for long periods). When the black tank overfilled, black water started to pour from different parts of the undercarriage. It took about 20 minutes for the black water to stop dripping.

Q1: Where does the overflow go? The basement compartments are dry except the tool bay. The black water did not flood the toilet as it is a vacuflush. Cannot see black tank from under the coach

Q2: Should I attempt to flush the under the chassis with clean water? Not sure where to start.

Thanks,
Merkat
Mercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2021, 07:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I cannot imagine there would be any other avenues out of the black tank than the dump valve, the toilet, the rinser, and the rooftop vent. Some rigs the lavatory sink also drains into the black tank, and on my rig, the air check valve and the backflow preventer for the black tank rinser is under the lav sink. So, I'd check the rinser and the roof and maybe under the lav sink, on mine I have to remove the drawers to get at the check valve and preventer. My rinser is in the curbside of my black tank. I access it thru a panel on the curbside that one might think would be a good place for a storage compartment. Mine is top hinged, and held closed by screws on the bottom; put down your beer before you crawl under to see the screws.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:32 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If things were sealed like they should be, it should have only come out of your rooftop air vent.
A few manufacturers have plumbed the lavatory sink into the black tank.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:18 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I cannot imagine there would be any other avenues out of the black tank than the dump valve, the toilet, the rinser, and the rooftop vent. Some rigs the lavatory sink also drains into the black tank, and on my rig, the air check valve and the backflow preventer for the black tank rinser is under the lav sink. So, I'd check the rinser and the roof and maybe under the lav sink, on mine I have to remove the drawers to get at the check valve and preventer. My rinser is in the curbside of my black tank. I access it thru a panel on the curbside that one might think would be a good place for a storage compartment. Mine is top hinged, and held closed by screws on the bottom; put down your beer before you crawl under to see the screws.
This rig has dual sinks and both flow into the gray tank.
Checked the roof and no water or debris.
I do have a storage bin that is a peg board for tools. Waste water was flowing from this area so I will look to see if the peg board can be removed and inspect for damage.

I did notice that the water water did not have a strong sewer odor which I found strange. Does the flush line have a overfill back up valve? I will explore tomorrow.

Thanks,
Old 07-18-2021, 09:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercat View Post
This rig has dual sinks and both flow into the gray tank.
Checked the roof and no water or debris.
I do have a storage bin that is a peg board for tools. Waste water was flowing from this area so I will look to see if the peg board can be removed and inspect for damage.

I did notice that the water water did not have a strong sewer odor which I found strange. Does the flush line have a overfill back up valve? I will explore tomorrow.

Thanks,
You may be onto something. The flush line will have a vacuum breaker/anti-siphon valve plumbed in. It is possible that is what failed or leaked. It would cause water leakage but it would be fresh water if under pressure. Something to check out, IMO.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:14 AM   #6

Not really helpful but I would not connect your fresh and flush systems even with valves, the risk of contamination is there. I have a completely separate orange flush hose I use and I spray the faucet outlet with bleach after using it.
Bigfoot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #7

I had the very same thing happen on our 2015 Discovery 40G. Ours is a gravity flush and when the black tank overflowed nothing flooded the main living area and the water was draining from behind the control panel in the water bay. After shutting off the water the draining stopped quickly. I thought for sure something had to overpressure and break but there is some kind of simple relief valve behind the water bay control panel that closed after the water level dropped in the black tank. Apparently this has happened on previous models and Fleetwood came up with a fix. When the black tank is overfilled it flows into the gray tank; when the gray tank is full then the relief?valve opens to the water bay to try and minimize spilling on the ground. After I drained both tanks Iíve never had an issue so apparently everything worked the way it should. The water by your tool board probably followed the path of least resistance and followed something on your frame to get there. I have a drawing of this piping somewhere verifying this is how it works.

=Mercat;5837156]Hello everyone,
3 year reader first time poster, thanks in advance.

2017 Discovery 39F Coach

Black tank flush was accidentally turned on when DW turned on water supply. (The fresh water and the tank flush line is connected via a Tee valve connector all the time when parked for long periods). When the black tank overfilled, black water started to pour from different parts of the undercarriage. It took about 20 minutes for the black water to stop dripping.

Q1: Where does the overflow go? The basement compartments are dry except the tool bay. The black water did not flood the toilet as it is a vacuflush. Cannot see black tank from under the coach

Q2: Should I attempt to flush the under the chassis with clean water? Not sure where to start.

Thanks,
Merkat[/QUOTE]
rustandmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #8

Did that Done that, came out the roof stack......*Lesson Learned* Never happened again. Wife came out and asked where all the water was from and had a slight smell in the air......Not sure HONEY trying to figure that out I will let you Know.
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:11 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Rustandmoss.
So far no issues to operation of black or grey tanks. Seems like an overflow shut off value or redirection value is used to prevent over filling of tanks.

Merkat
Old 08-03-2021, 12:21 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 15 Discovery overflow came out the toilet. Not the roof vent. Nice mess.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #11

Black tanks have no mechanisim built in to allow for over flow in the event of overfilling. If over filled under pressure the water will leak out wherever it can find any opening to the atmosphere.

It's not like a fresh water tank with a built in overflow opening. Dumping fresh water on the ground is not an issue.

An overflow pipe in a black tank would allow raw sewage to be dumped on the ground. Illegal in all locations.

That's why the instructions with the black tank flush system emphasize it should only be operated with the black tank dump valve opened.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank