Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2019, 07:16 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Black Tank Frustration

We purchased a new 2018 Fleetwood Flair in December and I've had continuing problems with the black tank becoming clogged when dumping the tank. If you haven't had the pleasure of trying to run a snake up through the dump valve to clear a clog and the resulting gush of "stuff" you are totally missing out...

Anyway, this past weekend it again clogged up, after spending three hours clearing it out and getting the tank flushed as I was about to put the cover on the dump pipe I looked in and noticed what appeared to be a flapper valve just past the dump valve. I reached in to see how it worked and found it was not attached to anything when I pushed on it, took the valve and pipe apart to get at the object and found the cut out from the black tank when they installed the toilet had been allowed to just fall into the tank when it was cut! I expect issues with a new coach, but this "stuff" should not happen.
ehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2019, 07:18 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave-r View Post
We purchased a new 2018 Fleetwood Flair in December and I've had continuing problems with the black tank becoming clogged when dumping the tank. If you haven't had the pleasure of trying to run a snake up through the dump valve to clear a clog and the resulting gush of "stuff" you are totally missing out...

Anyway, this past weekend it again clogged up, after spending three hours clearing it out and getting the tank flushed as I was about to put the cover on the dump pipe I looked in and noticed what appeared to be a flapper valve just past the dump valve. I reached in to see how it worked and found it was not attached to anything when I pushed on it, took the valve and pipe apart to get at the object and found the cut out from the black tank when they installed the toilet had been allowed to just fall into the tank when it was cut! I expect issues with a new coach, but this "stuff" should not happen.
Unfortunately this is VERY common. Now that you have it out, there should be no more problems though.....so silver lining?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:23 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
As a visual aide it might help to mail the piece to Fleetwood and ask what it is why it was in the black tank, possibly addressed to the CEO!!
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #4

This Up above
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #5

Ah the poor guy who's job it was to cut the hole in the tank and remove
said cut out. Oh well not my problem now.
Thankfully you found it and was able to get it out. Imagine what the dealer
would have charged you to remove debris????
CapeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #6

Piece work!

Face it......factory floor installers are NOT professional tradesmen
Last week they may have been running electrical wiring , installing wheel/tires on chassis, pulling PX lines OR even flipping burgers

Piece work!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
As a visual aide it might help to mail the piece to Fleetwood and ask what it is why it was in the black tank, possibly addressed to the CEO!!

Like he really gives a crap. LOL
Old 06-14-2019, 05:17 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We came from the travel trailer world and the dreaded "cutout plug" was a very common occurrence. Your post is the first I've seen in a class A. Sorry you were one of the unlucky few, but glad you found it.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #9

i like the idea of sending it to the CEO! perhaps ask him if he has any idea where the cut out from the gray tank is. or ask if they have a special tank chemical that is supposed to dissolve it.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:21 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Judging by the overwhelming evidence in the quality of their work, these things are built by people who could not possibly care less about professionalism. Troglodytes. Absolute window-licking, helmet-wearing, knuckle-dragging morons. And they get to vote; and reproduce; and they do. UAW at its finest!
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Judging by the overwhelming evidence in the quality of their work, these things are built by people who could not possibly care less about professionalism. Troglodytes. Absolute window-licking, helmet-wearing, knuckle-dragging morons. And they get to vote; and reproduce; and they do. UAW at its finest!

RV Factory floor 'installers...non-union Piece Work
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:34 AM   #12

You would think that quality over time would increase with experience. But I am worried about our service and trade industry's future. There are not many young teenagers or young adults that have been lead to believe that building RVs or homes or furniture or etc could be a rewarding career. Craftsman trades are dieing. Services are dieing. The youth is not going to enter those fields.

This is why an older coach may be a better choice over new these days.

-E
Old 06-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #13

Elkhart Indiana is having a serious labor shortage. Manufacturers are expanding and building new factories but there are not enough tradesmen to fill the jobs.

During the recession a lot of the good workers moved out of Elkhart and never came back so manufacturers have to hire whoever they can get, often people who were fired from another factory.
Jimg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, rust, tank