RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #1

Blasting/powder coating or replacing 30 gal propane tank

My 2003 Fleetwood Excursion 38U propane tank is nearly completely showing surface rust. The coach came from NE Mass - last owner must have driven through a lot of salt.

Thought about removing and having the 30lb tank blasted and powder coated, but starting to think I may be able to find a new one close to the price to resurface. Any thoughts about sources for a new tank that is reasonably priced (and has same size/mounting)?

Thanks.
PDickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #2

I recall that LP tanks have an expiration date stamped on them - may be difficult to read based upon the condition you described. Maybe call a local LP residential supplier and solicit their advice.
zorro2kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #3

I wire brushed mine primed the rust areas and painted
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #4

There are two types of tanks. The ASME tanks are permanently mounted in the coach and do not require certification. Portable tanks, even if mounted in the coach, require re-certification periodically or they cannot be filled by reputable LP dealers.

If you have a propane dealer near you, go talk to them about the tank. You might find that they can order you a replacement for not much more than sending the tank for proper refinishing, and then you'll have a new tank without the worries of leaks.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #5

DOT, portable propane cylinders have expiration dates.

Mounted ASME tanks don't.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-07-04-15-52-04.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	252163
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #6

Nobody is going to powdercoat an LPG tank. If they offer to, RUN AWAY!!!

Sandblasting causes static and that can cause an explosion, and prepping is an often imperfect process on used surfaces. Imperfect prep = poor coating and early failure. Powdercoating relies on static to lay down the powder, "outgassing" for a period of time at higher than cure temperature, and then the cure temp of ~400f (+/-) for 20 minutes (+/-) in an enclosed oven. I won't elaborate on the dangers there.

I'd go with a brisk brushing and a coat of POR-15 rust inhibiting paint.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

This is simple problem and only requires a simple solution. Wire brush or sand the tank and re-paint with brush or spray can. If really rusty, use a rust inhibitor or rusty metal primer first, e.g. Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, Corroseal, etc.

I'd be inclined to use a rusty metal paint such as POR-15, but any quality paint is usually adequate once the surface has been cleaned and prepped.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/paint...fore-painting/
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
Nobody is going to powdercoat an LPG tank. If they offer to, RUN AWAY!!!

Sandblasting causes static and that can cause an explosion, and prepping is an often imperfect process on used surfaces. Imperfect prep = poor coating and early failure. Powdercoating relies on static to lay down the powder, "outgassing" for a period of time at higher than cure temperature, and then the cure temp of ~400f (+/-) for 20 minutes (+/-) in an enclosed oven. I won't elaborate on the dangers there.

I'd go with a brisk brushing and a coat of POR-15 rust inhibiting paint.

Ding, ding, ding^^^^^

Wire brush, repaint....WHITE/Silver/Light Gray
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #9

Some very good points. Wasn't aware about the risks, as the tank fittings would be removed. Understand and agree though. Easy enough to remove the tank and wire brush.

Great feedback by all - thank you. Thanks again, folks. Paul
PDickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank