Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2018, 07:33 AM   #1

Block Heater 2006 Fleetwood Discovery

Folks,

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Hoping someone can help me out.

The block heater on my 2006 Fleetwood Discovery 39S does not seem to want to come on. The switch is on the side of the bed next to the electrical panel.

Not sure which was is on for the switch but in either position the switch for the light does not light up. I don't use the block heater more than a few times a years when I crank it up a bit in the winter when in storage.

Does anyone know where the plug in is for the block heater is?

Appreciate any assistance you can provide me.

Regards,

Mike
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #2

Since the block heater plugs in to A switched outlet, I would think that the lighted switch just luminates when the switch is on, not that the heater is actually on.

I would start looking at breakers in the panel and on the inverter before the switch.

Next would be any junction box's and the switch itself.

Once you find the block heater cord and outlet, you can test the heater by plugging it into an extension cord, in a known good power source and listen for the spark when the contacts touch.

We often used an light gauged drop light. If the heater was working, the bulb would dim.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
Folks,

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Hoping someone can help me out.

The block heater on my 2006 Fleetwood Discovery 39S does not seem to want to come on. The switch is on the side of the bed next to the electrical panel.

Not sure which was is on for the switch but in either position the switch for the light does not light up. I don't use the block heater more than a few times a years when I crank it up a bit in the winter when in storage.

Does anyone know where the plug in is for the block heater is?

Appreciate any assistance you can provide me.

Regards,

Mike
You should have an amp gauge on that rig. Have someone watch the gauge as you turn on (push top) the switch. You should see the amp gauge increase immediately. The light in the switch may be defective....or it isn't plugged in.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:22 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Since you said you had used it a couple of times so you already know where the cord is and the plug, soooo, is it plugged in?

Lights burn out on those plugs so check your amp meter to see how many amps you are drawing then move the switch to the opposite setting (hopefully ON) and check the amp meter again. It should have increased dramatically (mine jumped 9 amps).

If it doesn't register any increase check the breakers - in fact, this should have been the first step. Mine was off after being at the dealer for service, DAaaaaa (LOL)

Twinboat made an excellent recommendation about the drop cord, so try it, those darn switches are meant to test us when we least expect it.

Best wishes - Richard
Old 12-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #5

Check breaker and gifi .
Old 12-29-2018, 01:45 AM   #6

The block heater is connected via an AC cord from the engine to a AC receptacle. Our receptacle is located behind the bedroom closet cedar wall near the main AC panel. about 6 screws hold the cedar panel in place once removed you have access to the TR switch and the AC panel...be careful in there! You should find the block heater cord plugged in there. Also there is a ROMEX cable going to your engine block heater SWITCH. The light should only be ON with the switch is ON. Test the AC receptacle with a known good light or AC tester.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:07 AM   #7

While on the subject on occasion, I would find the engine block heater ON- god knows for how long...in our Discovery the switch is located below AC panel near the floor is easy to switch ON by your foot as we would pass by it. I rectified this problem by getting a AC switch cover and installing it over the switch. Now you have to open the cover to access the engine block heater switch.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5UMC View Post
While on the subject on occasion, I would find the engine block heater ON- god knows for how long...in our Discovery the switch is located below AC panel near the floor is easy to switch ON by your foot as we would pass by it. I rectified this problem by getting a AC switch cover and installing it over the switch. Now you have to open the cover to access the engine block heater switch.
I was going to say the same thing! LOL

We FT in our rig and i have lifted the quilt on the bed to find the block heater on as well!
Did not think of the AC switch cover, Thanks!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, discovery, fleetwood, heat, heater