Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Our block heater has a wall switch where the EMS is. The outlet is in the electric bay where the shore power cord is. Since the RV is rarely anywhere cold enough for its use we sometimes plug party lights into it instead of the block heater so they can be turned on/off from inside.

If you are going from warm to cold climes or have left over fuel from summer to winter a bottle of anti-gel is a cheap investment.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2011, 04:33 AM   #16

thanks to all who responded.
I will turn on the block heaters (found the switch in the bathrroom by the circut breaker box) and will also go get some anti jelling. We do occasionly get into the teens late at night but never stay there all day or for more then a couple of hours. Course with global warming shouldn't have to worry about that.
Chuck Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Our block heater has a wall switch where the EMS is. The outlet is in the electric bay where the shore power cord is.
My coach is basically the same. There is an outlet and a cord (male end) in the bay with the power cord and the switch is in an inside closet opposite the outlet.

I called Cummins, they said to use it when the temps got under 40 and that one hour was long enough to heat it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #18

Hello, looking for some information regarding this thread. I have a 275hp ISB Cummins diesel which has a block heater which appears to have a short in it. If I wish to replace the bock heater, what problems are likely to happen? Will removing the block heater drain the coolant? Please advise.
Regards.
JB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
To turn on the outlet that the block heater is plugged into requires that you turn the block/engine heater switch on INSIDE the RV. That turns that outlet on and thus the block heater on.
That's the way mine works. Plug in the eng heat to the AC receptacle in the basement section where the power cord is located, then turn on the switch inside the coach in the rear closet adjacent to the power cord section of the basement.

I called Cummins, they said to use the preheat when 40 degrees or lower for about an hour. When going on a trip, I set a timer to turn the eng heat on a couple of hours prior to departure.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #20

I have a 1998 AE does anybody know where the plug for this one is? I do not have a switch on the dash and I can't seem to find a plug in the power bay or the engine bay.

Thanks in advance
Dwayne
dwcjwerfner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you looked under the bed? Ours is an 03 and is under the bed.

Dave
Old 12-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #22

Well I didn't find it under the bed or in the power bay so I called AC (and as usual their customer service is top notch even on a 14 year old unit)the rep did tell me it should be in the power bay so I will check closer and make sure it is not tucked away somewhere. Also I asked them for a complete wiring diagram as the one in the owner's manual is fairly vague and somebody had replaced the inverter with a converter at some point and I have a bunch of capped wires I would like to know where they go. He said that the files weren't in the data base but they would have somebody pull the hard copies and get a copy sent to me in the new year due to the holidays.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #23
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
Hello, looking for some information regarding this thread. I have a 275hp ISB Cummins diesel which has a block heater which appears to have a short in it. If I wish to replace the bock heater, what problems are likely to happen? Will removing the block heater drain the coolant? Please advise.
Regards.
JB
Altho I don't know for sure, I would bet that if you removed the block heater with out draining coolant you would have a mess on the floor.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcjwerfner View Post
I have a 1998 AE does anybody know where the plug for this one is? I do not have a switch on the dash and I can't seem to find a plug in the power bay or the engine bay.

Thanks in advance
Dwayne

Dwayne, on our 98 Eagle the cord and receptacle are in the power cord bay. There is one 3 pronged plug and one single outlet receptacle that it plugs into.

Yours should be the same I would think.

The "switch" is actually a circuit breaker that is located in the breaker panel where all of your AC breakers are located . The breaker on my coach is strangely labeled "roadside patio receptacle" or "outside patio receptacle"

Once you plug in the 3 pronged plug, you flip the breaker and voila your block heater has power. Make sure you turn it off prior to starting the engine.

It will warm your block in 3 hours or so.

Hope this helps!
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #25

Yes thanks for the info. It was right there with a label on the wall for it. I did not see it last night with a flashlight as it was right behind my spare water hose. Kind of embarrassing really as I have personally replaced the turbo, exhaust manifold, alternator, and done all the other fluid flushes and samples and yet I couldn't find a cord even after looking where it was
I haven't figured which breaker it is yet but I do have one labelled something patio receptacle so I will test and confirm that, but it was on as it warmed up and started in 2 hours at -2 C (~28 F)
Old 12-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Your mistrust is well placed. The block heater is an integral part of the cold weather starting system on the Cummins diesel. If it weren't meant to be used, Cummins wouldn't spend the money to install it.

Rusty
X2 on that!!

I will tell you this all 3/4 and 1 Ton diesel pickups have 110V block heaters as standard equipment since they were puting diesels in pickups from he factory.
All the diesel in Fords, Gm truck have/had glow plugs. The dodge trucks with the cummins engines have grid heater.
both the grid heater and glow plug systems GREATLLY help cold starting.
Some Cummins engine Did not come with a grid heater from the factory.
The 5.9L in my Ford is that way. The book that came with it says for cold starts below 40F' to use a starting aid (starting fluid)or plug in the block heater.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, heater