RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #1

Bounder 2003 Roof Water Leak

Roof water leak syrup like color. Where is it coming from? See pics. If you had similar how did you repair? Or if not what repair suggestions could you offer?Thanks to all that respond.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedBOUNDER#1_LI.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	234157   Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedBOUNDER #2_LI.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	234158  

Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedBOUNDER #3_LI.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	234159   Click image for larger version

Name:	BOUNDER #4.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	234160  

topnotchnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #2

I'd be pulling those channels off to see what's there, then making a decision on how best to repair...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #3

From the inside assuming you have window frame moldings on each side, pull those and that should give you a line of sight as to the bleeding. Looks like it's from wet insulation. Also pull the ceiling light closest to the front and stick your hand in as far as you can to feel if its wet. If so, get air into it to start the drying process. Even a hair dryer would help. If the interior ceiling is not wet then you know its external and proceed from there.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:43 PM   #4

remove some of those phillips head screws and see if any are rusting.

I had a 93 Pace Arrow Diesel for 12 years. basement doors secured with galvinized screws. To trim it out a rubber belt was glued over the channel/screws. Looked great till the screws start rusting!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #5

Thanks to all responders

mchero.... For replacement screws stainless or galvanized?

bizzerbiz...Wet insulation explains the syrupy color. Good idea on removing the light and explore.

bob caldwell....Are the "channels" hard to remove"? You are not talking about the "gutters" correct?

To all: Could water be seeping around the 5 yellow clearance lights which are above the affected area? I cleaned and sealed the roof membrane in late summer. The water stains occurred from a recent snow melt.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:30 AM   #6

Stainless screws for sure......I was talking about the rails that those screws go thru....I'd use butyl rubber on the back side to seal rails to couch, then trim off the squeeze out......little bit of a job, but that'd be what i'd do....screws would be sealed just by passing thru the butyl.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:53 AM   #7

Considering they are both draining in the same place it very well could be a channel problem. First things first, make sure it's not an internal problem, fiberboard when wet also bleeds a brown color. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to determine that.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:12 AM   #8

30 minutes??

bizzerbiz...I will try this. Is there anything other than removing the light fixture to explore for wet insulation in the 30 minutes? Thanks for sticking with me on this. I am trying to cover all my bases.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotchnwv View Post
bizzerbiz...I will try this. Is there anything other than removing the light fixture to explore for wet insulation in the 30 minutes? Thanks for sticking with me on this. I am trying to cover all my bases.

You don't have a way from the inside to follow the window frames up to the top corners where leak is accuring? If that's the case then pulling the light closest to the front, and if corners are out of reach then take a flexible rod long enough to get to the corners and put toilet paper at the end of it, if its wet inside the toilet paper will absorb the moisture and that will tell you. By now though if it is an internal leak, seems like it would start browning on your ceiling. I had this problem when I bought my mh, the previous owner replaced the solar panel with a bigger one and didn't fill in the holes from the smaller one. Water migrated to the nearest light and leaked from there. Like I said it shouldn't take long to figure out if its internal. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:40 PM   #10

Check those clearance lights. That was my leak. Bad seals under lense and seal to roof . Also the screw holding the lense on.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, leak, roof, water, water leak